***Official week 10 thread***

Options
soccerella
soccerella Posts: 623 Member
Ok let me start off my listing the winners from the past couple weeks.

Week 7
Overall BL:health1971 
Red:health1971 
Orange:mentalmunchie 
Yellow:KateK8LoseW8 
Green:tambam72 
Blue:Justformel 
Purple:pambo1999
Team: Blue

week8
Overall BL:Nida1932 
Red:Jamiegephart 
Orange:Nida1932 
Yellow:Pfil 
Green:jessecpwrs
Blue:Justformel 
Purple:katonaroof
Team: Green
An amazing 43.6 lbs were lost in week 8! That is amazing. Green team lost about 25 lbs in one week, great job!

week9
Overall BL:Jamiegephart 
Red:Jamiegephart 
Orange:kaylikee
Yellow:Pfil 
Green:SouthernGirlStarving 
Blue:MichelleP418 
Purple:ljdanny 
Team:Red

I have not updated points for the past couple weeks but will throughout this week.
We have lost a total of 228 lbs so far. Thats pretty good considering there are only ~35 of us left in the challege. Wehve had alot of people drop out this season, which makes me sad but hopefully those of you who have stuck it out are enjoying it and its helping you. We are almost done, just a few weeks left until the finale. However, we are on a break from the show until January 7th. I would like us to keep weighing in and doing challenges like the show is still on though- i think if we took a break and didnt weigh in until the 7th then more people would end up dropping out, dont you think?

I hope you all learned something from the challenge last week - some of the statistics and facts posted are pretty interested and I found several of them suprising. And it was nice to see some people actually did the work workout at work (say that three times fast) but of course if you cant do it there for whatever reason thats totally understandable.

In case you are curious, here are the answers to the team trivia from last week. All teams who submitted get points for that, plus im going to give bonus points to whatever team got the most right once I figure that out.

1) A BMI of ___ is considered obese for adults
b. 30
I think most everyone got this right. BMI (body mass index) is a relation of your weight compared to your height. Its a good indicator for health, but shouldnt be the only one. For example, I have a healthy BMI of 24, yet my body fat % is over 30% which is very unhealthy. A person who has alot of muscle will tend to have a high BMI but might not actually be obese.You shouldnt just rely on one measurement to gauge your health.

2) A startling ____ of people who reach their weight loss goals relapse and gain the weight back within 5 years
c. 90%
I think I threw alot of people off by putting that 68% in there, but apparently around 90% of people will gain back the weight they lose. Thats why it is important to make lifestyle changes that you can continue, rather than trying to make a quick loss that isnt sustainable

3) All of the following diseases have been linked to obesity except
e. Crohn’s
The all of the above here seemed to trick people too, but Crohn's disease is the only only not linked to obesity. In fact, Crohns causes malabsorbtion of nutrients so the majority of patients actually are underweight. Current studies show only about 15-17% of Crohns patients are obese, compared to the 30% of the normal population that is. As obesity has been increasing in the US though, it may become more common in the near future to see more Crohns patients that are obese, but a link has not been established

4) Excess weight may be linked to memory loss. A recent study showed a ___point drop in memory score for each BMI point increase in a woman’s weight.
a. 1
The good news is that its reversible. Brain activity pattern during memory testing showed improvement in remembering and matching faces as the study participants’ average BMI dropped from 32.1 before the six-month diet to 29.2 BMI.

5) Lower levels of ____ in obese people may affect the immune system and increase the risk for asthma and allergy
c. Vitamin D
According to a recent study by the endocrine society, a link between the severity of a person’s obesity and certain biochemical measures of allergic disease has been established

6) Obesity can affect a woman’ s fertility through all of the following except
e. all of the above are linked to obesity
This was a little suprising to me, I knew most of them (menses, decreased sex drive, etc) but the excess male hormone fact was a bit unnerving

7) Obesity ranks ___ among preventable causes of death
a or b
Im accepting both of these answers. Obesity was always ranked second as a preventable cause of death, coming in just behind smoking. However, as of August 31st of this year, the CDC has now switched the two and obesity is 1st. Guess all the smoking taxes and ads have had an effect!

8) How many pounds would a 300 lb person need to lose before they started to see improvements in their health
c. 25-30 lbs
Studies show that losing about 10% of your body weight is all that you need to start seeing improvements in movement, sleep, blood pressure, etc

9) What obesity related disease, typically associated with adults is now being diagnosed in children as young as 5-10 years old in the US
a. Type 2 Diabetes
When children are diagnosed with Diabetes, it is typically type 1 (aka juvenile diabetes). Type two is ususally reserved for those in their 30s or later and is assosiated with being overweight. A lack of activity is what is getting the biggest blame for the increase among children, so get your kids up and moving if youre concerned. The good news is that , unlike type 1 diabetes, type two diabetes can be completely controlled by getting to a heaklthy weight in most cases

10) Approximately ___ of the adult US population is considered obese
c. 30%
I'll also accept 40% for this one too, as there are many possible sources. The CDC estimated that about 1/3 of the adult population is obese, and unfortunately the number just seems to keep going up.

Some suprising facts in there and I hope you learned something!

The Challenge: The Ring of Fire

With a focus on building their endurance, contestants last night had to hold a metal arm that weighs 20% of their weight in a ring 20 feet away. Dropping the arm into the flame eliminates the contestant from the challenge. The last person standing wins. The person who wins the challenge wins a one-pound advantage at the weigh-in, a huge advantage at this point.

After 45 minutes, a few contestants are already out, but an impressive number of them are still in the challenge. It gets down to Rachel, Jay and David. After an amazing 92 minutes one of them finally wins, but I wont spoil it for you

Our challenge this week is also going to be a muscle endurance one, involving three different muscle groups. Arms, legs, and core. You simply get in each position and hold it for as long as possible and then you are done. If you can do any of these for 92 minutes I will be seriously impressed. Tip: do these while watching TV as it might distract you and help you hold on longer, especially if you are watching something inspiring - like last ngiht BL eposide :)

The three endurance tests:
Legs - wall sit
Arms - arm extension
Core - Plank

Wall sit - put your back against a wall for support and your feet out in front of you. "Sit" down as if you were in an invisible chair. Butt and back against the wall, upper legs parallel to the floor. Make sure you are sitting down to get a good burn! Start timing

Arm Extension - Calculate 20% of your body weight (ie, 30 lbs for a 150 lb person). Grab weights of this amount, hold in your hands and bring your arms up perpendicular to your body at chest level. Hold in this position and time. If you dont have weights or cant lift 20% of your weight, go for a lesser amount, but this exercise should be done holding some weight of some type

Plank - Lay face down on the floor, resting on your forearms under your chest, parallel to the body. Push your body up off the floor so that body weight is supported by the forearms and toes. Tighten your core and make sure your back is straight, that way you are being held up by your core (back and abs) and not just by pusing on your arms. Start timing

Im really curious to know how long people can do all of these so please let us know!

Replies

• Pfil
    Pfil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all the biggest losers!
    I'm going to have to beg to differ on the Crohn's question. I found this interesting study abstract http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10620-010-1541-6 which seems to indicate that both low BMI and high BMI could be risk factors for Crohn's. I guess they're still trying to figure out all the ways being obese is bad for you! :)
  • soccerella
    Options
    I'm going to have to beg to differ on the Crohn's question. I found this interesting study abstract http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10620-010-1541-6 which seems to indicate that both low BMI and high BMI could be risk factors for Crohn's. I guess they're still trying to figure out all the ways being obese is bad for you! :)

I've read that article Pfil and they are using it in comparison to other inflammatory diseases, in this case ulceritive colitis - basically saying that if a patient presents with an inflammitory response that they want to diagnose as a bowel disease, than being obese might be an indicator that it should be crohns instead of UC. They tried to compare it to the natural population and didnt find a link, except in the older age group which is less likely to be obese anyway. If you look at the statistics then the average BMI at diagnosis was 23 and only 16.7% were obese which is less than the natural population, indicating that the majority of patients were normal or underweight and there is not a statistically significant difference to say there is a relationship. However it looks like they might be able to argue that obesity is an indicator for Crohns vs UC, and that the association for the natural population would mainly apply at older ages where environmental effects would be expected to be more pronounced (they have a link of 46% of crohns patients having manual labor jobs as well, which isnt a known risk factor either) . Its common that Crohn's patients typically present with a low BMI, but they say in their study that "obesity could predispose to a less severe from of disease commonly but not exclusively presenting at an older age" which makes me curious. It could be interesting for someone to explore that in the future, as I dont think they've established it here, that there may be a different pathogenicity for people who are obese compared to those that are underweight. But that could be problematic as well since they are suggesting here that those that are obese have a lesser form of the disease, which some could argue then makes it actually better if you are obese and get diagnosed with Crohns as opposed to underweight!
  • BMP9713
    BMP9713 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just tried to do the arm part of the challenge and lasted a whole 1 minute and 37 seconds...epic fail. Are we aloud to try more then once? Lol
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge and I agree I think more people would drop if we were not checking in regularly.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with question 5, I found this answer and here is the weblink it came from:

5.) Asthma (answer is Vitamin A) Here is the web link http://asthma.about.com/od/asthmacam/a/asthma_diet.htm and here is part of the article ____ Vitamin A and Beta-carotene: Like the other vitamins discussed, vitamin A and beta-carotene are thought to have antioxidant properties that may improve inflammation in asthma.
  • RaineyLaney
    Options

Obesity can cause all except Crohn's. From all I know on this it is an Autoimmune diseases and genetic's (gene's) that cause this disease. Most crohn's patients are not over weight, but they could be, but obesity is not the cause of Crohn's
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    Due to a shoulder injury (had surgery even and have permanent disability with it), I will not be able to do the arm extensions with 20% of my weight. I won't be able to lift that heavy with my left arm due to this injury.

As with the core planks. I can do planks if my hands are on the floor (then the weight is in my hands and elbows. but to put my forearms on the floor will not work. for it puts the pressure on the shoulders more and I can not do that with the injured shoulder.
  • soccerella
    Options
    Just tried to do the arm part of the challenge and lasted a whole 1 minute and 37 seconds...epic fail. Are we aloud to try more then once? Lol

haha of course!
  • soccerella
    Options
    Due to a shoulder injury (had surgery even and have permanent disability with it), I will not be able to do the arm extensions with 20% of my weight. I won't be able to lift that heavy with my left arm due to this injury.

As with the core planks. I can do planks if my hands are on the floor (then the weight is in my hands and elbows. but to put my forearms on the floor will not work. for it puts the pressure on the shoulders more and I can not do that with the injured shoulder.

make any adjustments you need to for an injury, dont want anyone getting hurt doing this! You could just do the arm extension with no weight and the planks on your hands if you want since you have had shoulder surgery

anyone who has an injury or underlying condition that cant do a challenge just let me or your coach know! Its alwasy acceptable to make substitutions for an injury and if you absolutely cant do it, then you would be given and exempt instead of did not attempt because of that :)
  • soccerella
    Options
    I have to disagree with question 5, I found this answer and here is the weblink it came from:

5.) Asthma (answer is Vitamin A) Here is the web link http://asthma.about.com/od/asthmacam/a/asthma_diet.htm and here is part of the article ____ Vitamin A and Beta-carotene: Like the other vitamins discussed, vitamin A and beta-carotene are thought to have antioxidant properties that may improve inflammation in asthma.

Thanks for the article RaineyLainey, but I think in this case they are talking about asthma in the general population and not obese people which is what this question was related to. The talk about there being a possible link between vitamin A and reduction of inflammation in exercise induced asthma, but it says there have only been two small studies on this with small sample sizes - and they dont provide a citation to the study which makes it hard to verify. But they do say at the end of that paragraph that since it was just these two small studies sample size there are "no current recommendations for vitamin supplementation in the prevention of exercise induced asthma" I could be wrong here, but I believe most overweight people dont suffer from exercise induced asthma as well, and it is instead classified as a weight related asthma caused by excess adipose tissue preventing the lungs from expanding properly and resulting in shallower breathing. I tried to do a little more reading on this this morning and did find an interesting comment in one of the journals I was reading that physicians think asthma is being overdiagnosed in obese patients because symptoms like shortness of breath are just so common among obese people. In any case I have to respectfully disagree and say that in obese people there has been an established link between vitamin D deficiancy and asthma and if you google "asthma vitamin obese" or similar words a number of peer reviewed articles related to vitamin D will come up
  • 77chantelle
    77chantelle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ok, i did this challenge after a hour full body circuit. Plank 75 seconds. Wall sit 2 mins, my legs were burning. Arm exetensions i coulnt even do it for a couple of seconds so I dont know if I was doing it wrong or just really weak.
  • soccerella
    Options
    Ok, i did this challenge after a hour full body circuit. Plank 75 seconds. Wall sit 2 mins, my legs were burning. Arm exetensions i coulnt even do it for a couple of seconds so I dont know if I was doing it wrong or just really weak.

Im sure the full body circuit didnt help but I suck at arm extensions too :)
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    arms and plank i will have to modify, i am seeing a dr for my neck and shoulder, just carrying a gallon of milk is tough go some days
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Ladies:
    I got the challenge yesterday after shoveling snow/ice for 2 1/2 hours and biking 20 miles in an hour on my stationary bike. I think I maybe should have started with the challenge first, but here are my stats:
    Wall sit w/30 lbs.- 6 minutes
    Arms outstretched w/30 lbs-5 minutes
    Plank- 3 minutes
    Yup I pretty much sucked on the challenge, but believe me when I say I got a great workout with shoveling. Thank you North Country Ice Storm of 2013!! Hope everyone has a great holiday season!!

Tammie
  • RaineyLaney
    Options
    Did the challenge (Saturday 12/23/13) Had to modify weight on arm extensions and modified the plank with straight arms, hands on floor.

Wall sit = 3minutes and 10 seconds (just could not hold out any longer)
    Arm extensions= done with 5lb weights for 4 minutes 30 seconds (I do these all the time every day for my shoulder, but usually with only 3lb weights)
    Plank = 5 minutes. (I do lots of plank jacks and feel this helped me do this for a longer time) This was modified due to shoulder injury though
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Are we supposed to be posting weights today? thanks
  • MichelleP418
    MichelleP418 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the delay, this is the first day I have had computer access and I can not get to here from my phone.....

Wall sit = 3 mins.
    Arm extensions= done with 2 - 15lb weights for 10 mins....(was supposed to be 41lbs but that is all i have)
    Plank = 4 mins.
  • justformel
    justformel Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Is today a weigh in day? thanks
  • mmommaj
    mmommaj Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    What week are we actually on??? I haven't been checking in due to the holidays and am unsure where we are. Is today a weigh-in day???
    Mell
  • Pfil
    Pfil Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Team Yellow has been operating under the assumption that we should be weighing in based on what Soccarella said in the first post but if those weights don't matter, that's fine too. :)
    We are almost done, just a few weeks left until the finale. However, we are on a break from the show until January 7th. I would like us to keep weighing in and doing challenges like the show is still on though- i think if we took a break and didnt weigh in until the 7th then more people would end up dropping out, dont you think?

If you check the main spreadsheet, nothing has been added or updated since the break. New episode tonight though!