Orange team week 10

Options
BMP9713
BMP9713 Posts: 107 Member
Hey ladies! We are now on week 10 of this challenge! Here is this weeks challenge!

The Challenge: The Ring of Fire

With a focus on building their endurance, contestants last night had to hold a metal arm that weighs 20% of their weight in a ring 20 feet away. Dropping the arm into the flame eliminates the contestant from the challenge. The last person standing wins. The person who wins the challenge wins a one-pound advantage at the weigh-in, a huge advantage at this point.

After 45 minutes, a few contestants are already out, but an impressive number of them are still in the challenge. It gets down to Rachel, Jay and David. After an amazing 92 minutes one of them finally wins, but I wont spoil it for you

Our challenge this week is also going to be a muscle endurance one, involving three different muscle groups. Arms, legs, and core. You simply get in each position and hold it for as long as possible and then you are done. If you can do any of these for 92 minutes I will be seriously impressed. Tip: do these while watching TV as it might distract you and help you hold on longer, especially if you are watching something inspiring - like last ngiht BL eposide :)

The three endurance tests:
Legs - wall sit
Arms - arm extension
Core - Plank

Wall sit - put your back against a wall for support and your feet out in front of you. "Sit" down as if you were in an invisible chair. Butt and back against the wall, upper legs parallel to the floor. Make sure you are sitting down to get a good burn! Start timing

Arm Extension - Calculate 20% of your body weight (ie, 30 lbs for a 150 lb person). Grab weights of this amount, hold in your hands and bring your arms up perpendicular to your body at chest level. Hold in this position and time. If you dont have weights or cant lift 20% of your weight, go for a lesser amount, but this exercise should be done holding some weight of some type

Plank - Lay face down on the floor, resting on your forearms under your chest, parallel to the body. Push your body up off the floor so that body weight is supported by the forearms and toes. Tighten your core and make sure your back is straight, that way you are being held up by your core (back and abs) and not just by pusing on your arms. Start timing

Im really curious to know how long people can do all of these so please let me know.

Replies

• BMP9713
    Options
    My goal this week is to lose 5 lbs by next Tuesday. I will be 225 by next week. I have been slacking lately due to my workload and other things but I am sick of being out of shape, fat and unhealthy!
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Due to a shoulder injury (had surgery even and have permanent disability with it), I will not be able to do the arm extensions with 20% of my weight. I won't be able to lift that heavy with my left arm due to this injury.

As with the core planks. I can do planks if my hands are on the floor (then the weight is in my hands and elbows. but to put my forearms on the floor will not work. for it puts the pressure on the shoulders more and I can not do that with the injured shoulder.

Can I do the plank with my arms straight? And no clue how to do the arm extensions, the point of that is the weight, but I can not do heavy weights with my left arm.
  • kaylikee
    kaylikee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh man I'm terrible at these kinds of exercises lol
  • BMP9713
    Options
    Due to a shoulder injury (had surgery even and have permanent disability with it), I will not be able to do the arm extensions with 20% of my weight. I won't be able to lift that heavy with my left arm due to this injury.

As with the core planks. I can do planks if my hands are on the floor (then the weight is in my hands and elbows. but to put my forearms on the floor will not work. for it puts the pressure on the shoulders more and I can not do that with the injured shoulder.

Can I do the plank with my arms straight? And no clue how to do the arm extensions, the point of that is the weight, but I can not do heavy weights with my left arm.

I'm sure if you modify it anyway you feel comfortable I will still be able to count it. I don't want you to injure yourself so don't push too hard.
  • Nida1982
    Nida1982 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It´s very interesting challenge this week! I love it! And I think I can do it without problems.

I will tell you how long I stand!

My challenge for Monday: 142.20
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Did the challenge (Saturday 12/23/13) Had to modify weight on arm extensions and modified the plank with straight arms, hands on floor.

Wall sit = 3minutes and 10 seconds (just could not hold out any longer)
    Arm extensions= done with 5lb weights for 4 minutes 30 seconds (I do these all the time every day for my shoulder, but usually with only 3lb weights)
    Plank = 5 minutes. (I do lots of plank jacks and feel this helped me do this for a longer time) This was modified due to shoulder injury though
  • BMP9713
    Options
    Hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Sorry Orange team I need to drop out, I never remember to weigh in on the day we are supposed to and it isn't up to anyone to remind me, and I haven't found I like the challenges by the time I finish all that reading (another thing I don't like) I don't remember what the challenge is. Good luck to all of you
  • BMP9713
    Options
    Sorry Orange team I need to drop out, I never remember to weigh in on the day we are supposed to and it isn't up to anyone to remind me, and I haven't found I like the challenges by the time I finish all that reading (another thing I don't like) I don't remember what the challenge is. Good luck to all of you

Good lik to you on your weight loss journey. We are here for you if you need us!
  • BMP9713
    Options
    Ok guys I'm assuming that we will be back to weighing in and the challenges this week. Let's end this thing strong guys!