strava

Options
I want to know how many of y use Strava (pay version only) and what you like about it as welll and whether you a roadie or am Mtb warrior.

Replies

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Options
    I'm using the premium strava at the moment - basically for the enhanced analysis tools re: power etc. Primarily I ride on the road, occasionally a bit of cross/mixed terrain, and when the weather really sucks, I'll drag the MTB out.

Thought that the real "killer" advantage for the premium service was going to be the route planner, but it's fecking useless...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yup!

Strava Premium user; roadie :wink:
  • jhalsey205
    jhalsey205 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Roadie here - and Strava Premium. I'm a fan.
  • amiller7x7
    amiller7x7 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Road riding and Strava Premium - while I use it, I am suffering a bit from electronic sharing overload - I am also doing swimming (no electronic data on those workouts however), running, and biking - I end up trying to share data with Strava, Garmin Connect, MFP, some Facebook friends, RaceDay (software used by my coach), and PerfPro (software to run the bike computrainer).......but if I could do just one (which would be kinda cool actually), right now I would probably use Strava for the athletic/social part...then it would be Facebook, and then it would be MFP (pix are way easier on FB). I like the analysis capabilities of RaceDay and PerfPro but they are not so orientated to community sharing.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use Strava, as a tool for training. I don't get so caught up in the challenges, or the KOMs. I race MTB as a hobby, but have a road bike and a CX to train for MTB. I use the Cyclemeter app on my iPhone, then share the data with Strava later...and track my caloric intake and expenditure (as well as macros), on MFP.
  • jerbsod
    Options
    thx for sharing, I never used Strava but somehow persuaded myself it was more for competitive roadie outdoing each other in some densely populated area. I read stories of ppl having terrible crash trying to beat KOM (even dying or killing pedestrians)and was wondering what could bring these individuals to a level of virtual competitiveness that brought them to endanger lives.

I personally don't understand the concept of KOM, since the road or Track conditions and weather will be a huge factor in these records and will be different day to day, even unique.
    To me racing another cyclist in a given climb when you meet one is fair game, as it is the same day, under the same conditions, but somehow racing that guy ( and a bunch of others) virtually who was on that same climb last week has no sense of reality.

I Use Movescount, I have a Suunto HR and gps and I really like the info it gives for training but there is virtually no sense of a community. The only user competitive aspect is the time you train. When I look at profiles there and see leaderboard at 500Hrs plus, at 4k Cal expenditure for these 500Hrs, it makes me chuckle. I wish Movescount had a forum for every sport its would make it better.
    I guess thats why Strava is like 6 bucks a month, cause the others don't offer what they do.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I use Strava, as a tool for training. I don't get so caught up in the challenges, or the KOMs. I race MTB as a hobby, but have a road bike and a CX to train for MTB. I use the Cyclemeter app on my iPhone, then share the data with Strava later...and track my caloric intake and expenditure (as well as macros), on MFP.

My husband also uses it as a training tool for mt bike races and to be competitive on certain sections/ loops, and he really likes it. I think he also enjoys seeing what his bike friends are up too, as well...helps keep him motivated. He keeps trying to talk me into using it, and I just may if I get more competitive. For now, I'm pretty content on just tracking my mt bike rides with Garmin connect.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I started using Strava this summer but I don't pay for the premium as I'm not using for training purposes. I also don't care whose record I'm up against. I like to see the map rides of other folks though. That I consider fun. And sometimes just amazing.
  • Shautzee
    Shautzee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use Strava premium for both road and mountain biking. It's been very helpful in finding new places to ride for both road and mountain biking. I will load routes from strava on my garmin 810 for new routes. This works very well for both road and mountain biking. This is especially nice when I am by myself or with my daughter. It's much easier and more accurate than reading maps out there on the trail. (warning- just be sure you upload a clean route where the cyclist did not stray off course- otherwise you will follow them....I learned that the hard way....LOL)

I like having the leaderboards/KOM/QOM- not as anything serious but as a way to provide motivation to improve. Of course the conditions are never the same but you can see yourself progress over time on a certain segment. I certainly wouldn't put myself in harms way to obtain a record. (where's common sense....).

I also like to be able to see what my friends are doing and to be able to provide positive feedback!
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Strava as well. Premium version though I think the free version is good enough if you don't have a powermeter. I like how you can track segments and see how you stack up against yourself and others. I also use it to estimate my caloric burn for my work outs. Seems like it takes in a lot more variables than other apps. I also use Endomodo for challenges. Between the 2 apps it gives the data geek in me lots of data to analyze.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think that there's just been a half decent reason for joining the Premium Strava - they've added the 3 sufferfest video's that were available on the iPad's/smartphone apps on the Computer now... so, if you're in an area where you end up doing some indoor training over the winter, you can at least get the motivation/distraction on a slightly larger screen...
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think that there's just been a half decent reason for joining the Premium Strava - they've added the 3 sufferfest video's that were available on the iPad's/smartphone apps on the Computer now... so, if you're in an area where you end up doing some indoor training over the winter, you can at least get the motivation/distraction on a slightly larger screen...

Thanks for sharing. I told my so about this, since he has the premium and would enjoy a good thrashing from the sufferfest video's!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yep, use Strava almost daily. Mostly a road biker. BIggest beef is the maps (which aren't theirs) have messed up altitude data for my area. Love the segments and ability to compete....errrr...compare against others.
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use Strava and have done for about 2 years. I've been premium for pretty much the whole time too. I ride all sorts of bikes (Never ridden a uni-cycle but willing to give it a go. Have no intention of riding a folding bike). Recently started using Strava to track my runs too.

I've tracked my rides using GPS and an associated mapping tool for a long time. The ability to define segments in Strava is the primary reason that got me to swap from the previous incumbents. A lot of the rides I do are solo and knowing that there are sections out there on which you can compete against others as well as yourself does add a little something to the ride.

There are others, the interface is clean and accessible. The ease at which you can create a group is great. And, as you suggest, there is a real sense of community.

I think the mark of a good social network is how well it manages to transcend the online / in-real-life divide. Facebook did it by establishing itself as the defacto way for college students to communicate; Twitter did it by enabling news to be broken faster than traditional media outlets can do it and Strava has done it by allowing people to wear a virtual badge "QOM / KOM" as a badge of pride amongst their fellow cycling peers (at least in the two cycling clubs I belong too and within my other cycling friends).

Now, if we could just get Strava and MFP to integrate with each other, that would be great :smile:

If anyone's interested in adding me as a friend on here, I've just started out using it and would love all the encouragement / motivation I can get! :smile:
  • jerbsod
    jerbsod Posts: 48
    Options
    Garmon is doing an overhaul of their Connect website and it will have many strava features including segments. I don't think that is enough to sway me to a Garmin watch they look awful..
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    from the looks of it, the new Garmin connect is going to be the *kitten* lovechild of Strava and Fitbit. Knowing Garmin's abilities with software coding, i'm expecting it to be a complete clusterfck and i'm just thankful that I've got all my training data secured on another couple of online apps and on the desktop machine as well...
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Premium if you are using a HRM or power meter (or both) is a must. The level of analysis you get with those datasets are very helpful. If you have neither, it's not worth it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use free strava on my cell phone. I honestly just like to beat myself.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Premium if you are using a HRM or power meter (or both) is a must. The level of analysis you get with those datasets are very helpful. If you have neither, it's not worth it.

If you've forked out for a power meter and you're not using something a little more sophisticated than Strava premium for analysis, i'd say you were probably scrimping in the wrong area... personally, I'd spring for WKO+ and/or the paid version of TrainingPeaks for the analysis - in a different league when it comes to the analysis of your ride data.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options

If you've forked out for a power meter and you're not using something a little more sophisticated than Strava premium for analysis, i'd say you were probably scrimping in the wrong area... personally, I'd spring for WKO+ and/or the paid version of TrainingPeaks for the analysis - in a different league when it comes to the analysis of your ride data.

CycleOps Powercal $100ish. Not extremely accurate during rides, but great for analysis afterwards (it's what I use). Google review by DCRainmaker.