How to jump back in after a short break?

Options
artsycella
artsycella Posts: 121 Member
I'm pretty new to Stronglifts--I started in early-ish November. Prior to starting SL, I was doing progressive lifts with dumbbells in a program similar to AllPro. Then I joined a new gym that had barbells and a squat rack/cage thing, and decided to start this program.

In general, I've really been liking it. But I made a mistake recently, and I'd love your feedback.

I did my first two weeks (6 sessions) well. But then I hurt my wrist trying to lift a Thanksgiving turkey from a bad angle, and tweaked my knee trying to keep my giant Newfoundland from going pell-mell after a squirrel. Neither was a major injury, but I took a week off from lifting to give them both time to heal.

When I went back to the gym, I jumped right back in where I left off. Did a good solid warmup (10 minutes of light cardio, warm-up sets with empty bars and then partially loaded bars), then I added 5 lbs to each lift, and did them. They seemed hard, but not impossible. I felt good about it, until the next day when DOMS struck, hard. And it lasted all week. For days I could barely stand up. I eyed stairs with great disapproval, and groaned anytime I had to walk up a small incline.

So I know I mucked that up. Obviously, when coming back from a week-long break I don't want to be so sore that I then am forced to take another week-long break. But I'm also sure this will happen again--there will be other turkeys to pick up from weird angles, other squirrels my dog wants to chase, and just generally other things that will occasionally get in the way of me making it to the gym 3 times a week every now and then.

So what do you do when this happens? Do you automatically deload? If so, how much? Do you do extra warm-ups, and if so--what kinds? Any other advice you've got would be super helpful, and thanks a ton!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Once you have been more consistent a week off probably won't give you doms. I also still train even if I have it as usually getting blood flowing helps, and even if it didn't I figure I can't feel worse:laugh: . Be sure to check your diet and make sure you are eating enough protein.
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I personally never do warm ups and go straight to the sets, no cardio since i usually save that for after lifting.
    When I took a week or 10 days off, (because I was out of town) I started back on what I did the previous workouts.
  • artsycella
    artsycella Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have to admit that I'm sometimes a little shy of my 120gm protein goal, so I'll resolve to pay more attention to that, especially after a break. I've been doing compound progressive lifting with dumbbells since July, so I figured I was over the major hurdles. I guess my muscles aren't quite in agreement!

Warm-ups seem to work fine for me. I suppose at some point they may start hindering my progress once I get into higher weights, but I'm definitely not there yet.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This would happen to me as well in the beginning l and I found it to be an issue with protein intake.