Traction aids for snow and ice?

Options
chriscm70
chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
To those of you who run outside in the winter snow... what do you use/like? What works for you?
It looks like there are TONS of products out there to choose from, from DIY sheet metal screws on up... just wondering what people actually use that works. Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I run with no traction aids at all - just shorten my stride and, so far so good.

For icy conditions I have Yak Trax (they're slippery on dry surfaces) and prefer to run without them, if there's freezing rain I'll usually stay inside and use the dreadmill. I haven't tried sheet metal screws but know a couple of runners that swear by them (you pretty much need to dedicate a pair of shoes to winter running with them)
  • Keebler1976
    Keebler1976 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use a retired pair of runners with small #6 screws 3/8 inch long in them little noises on pavement but work awesome on trails and packed snow, I don’t run huge distance with them but they work great for my 10km winter/ice runs. Cost me $1.70 for 12..
  • chriscm70
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I'll probably try the screws on an old pair first, nothing to lose really!
    I really don't mind running on the treadmill but I need to get some miles in outside as much as I can for a possibly icy February race.
    Good feedback on the yaktrax, I didn't realize they'd be slippery on dry roads, thanks!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I use a retired pair of runners with small #6 screws 3/8 inch long in them little noises on pavement but work awesome on trails and packed snow, I don’t run huge distance with them but they work great for my 10km winter/ice runs. Cost me $1.70 for 12..

I did this when we had a ton of ice here a couple of weeks ago. It worked really well.

960101_10100166291891955_1227577559_n.jpg
  • chriscm70
    Options
    Oh cool, I like the screw placement.. I'm going to steal your design ;-)
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great tip w/the screws!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Oh cool, I like the screw placement.. I'm going to steal your design ;-)

I ran out of screws so I didn't get as many on there as I would have liked. I had 10 per shoe and would have liked at least 2 more per shoe to make it an even dozen. But they worked great with just 10.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Just ran on snow covered roads this morning for the second time this week. I run in the same shoes I use when the roads are dry and have not experienced any issues. I keep my stride on the short side of normal (for me) and try not to stray into the dark patches (black ice) when I can help it.....
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I have winter "screw (it, I'm running!) shoes." An excellent description of application is here:

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

They work really well, even on steep trails. If you want a little extra security (at a price,) some people I know swear by these:

http://www.solespikes.com

Happy running!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Yaktrax Pro & used them Saturday for the first time. Loved them. I won't see dry pavement where I live for several months, so that's not an issue. I had a combination of loose snow (it was snowing during my run), packed ice, and greasy snow and they were good on all the surfaces.
  • linddavis
    Options
    I just ordered Ice Spikes.. they work like the screws. I just didnt feel confident
    that I wouldnt ruin my shoes w/ regular screws. I also have yak trax but I have
    seen several people now lose one in a race.. they pop off when they get old.
    That's a problem.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yaktrax! Can't imagine life without them anymore!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I bought the YakTrax Run a few weeks ago and have used them twice now - both for my long 20 milers pre-marathon, and in somewhat different conditions:

The first run I used them on was mostly just compacted snow on dirt roads (very little ice) - they worked great, definitely felt like I had great traction. I maybe could've gotten by without them, but I felt better knowing I had them, especially going up hills.
    b47812a9-5c1a-449e-8900-bfd8f81d12ba.jpg

The second run I used them on was a very thin layer of ice on top of paved sidewalks - and once again, worked great! I started my run without them, not knowing the paths were frozen. After 3/4 of mile of slipping and sliding, I ran back to my car to put them on, and I could instantly notice a HUGE improvement!
    f89132b5-574d-4b35-92bd-d7bc5d8a64a4.jpg

Overall, I was really grateful I had them, especially for the second run! Definitely worth the $40 in my opinion!

(side note - I kept seeing tons of slip and slide tracks from geese...so wish I could've seen them sliding around, lol)
  • chriscm70
    Options
    Quick update... I was going to do the "screwshoes", and still might, but I got a pair of the YakTrax Pros for Christmas and wow, no problem at all, even on uneven bumpy ice with water over top of it, stuff that's impossible to walk on. As long as thy prove to be durable I think these things are amazing! I walked for a few cars as they drove by... just to not freak them out so they slammed on the brakes, but still average cadence was 174 at 8:41 avg pace.

The ice was somewhat soft, with some slush patches, so the YakTrax really dug in. I'm not sure yet how they'll be on really hard ice but they seem like they'd be fine.
    It was nice not to have to have to run on the treadmill today :-)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I did this when we had a ton of ice here a couple of weeks ago. It worked really well.

960101_10100166291891955_1227577559_n.jpg

Nice visuals!