Hair loss

Options
Hi everyone,
I am starting to lose my hair! I know they said it was possible, but it's still alarming when it happens. My surgery was Sept 9th - so I am 3 months out - almost 4 months. I am already taking Biotin. Any other suggestions to minimize the hair loss? Also, how long will this be a problem? I already have pretty fine hair - so I don't want to be bald! Could use some reassurance, if you have any! Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Mine started at 3 months out and stopped after 6 or 8 weeks. Nothing helped but it didn't last long. Hang in there!
  • Rief3
    Rief3 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair also, you can still through mine! I actually had bald spots, good news it is growing back, still can not do anything with the thinned out old stuff though. I wear head bands, Donald Trump comb over LOL! but it lasted about 2-1/2 months for me. I was scared, my sister still says I need a wig! but like I said I have a lot of new growth! Biotin did NOT work, just make sure you are getting your PROTEIN in! Good luck it should stop in a few weeks and keep checking for new growth!:smile:
  • themommyiwannabe
    themommyiwannabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do to stop it or at least nothing worked for me. I lost most of mine when I washed it, so I used dry shampoo as often as possible instead of washing. That helped some. It will eventually grow back, but it is very frustrating.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Mine never started falling out until I was on vacation about 3 months after surgery and forgot to eat. I was told by my doctor that part of it was that I getting so few calories and part because we typically do at about 3 months out from surgery. So they told me to start taking Biotin or "Hair, Skin and Nails" and to over do the protein for awhile. It did stop falling out and I am regrowing some, but I was warned that I may not get it all back. So again, at the minimum get your protein, if you can get more, do so and take the Biotin or Hair, Skin and Nails. Good luck.
  • LessofaLargeMarge
    Options
    Thanks for the support! I hope it doesn't last too long!
  • losinit4evermore
    losinit4evermore Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Surgery on September 9 as well and started losing hair about a week ago. My surgeon told me it would happen, but like you, I was shocked. I have very thin hair anyway, so I am not sure what it will be like after a month or so. I just keep getting my protein and will keep my fingers crossed. My dr said I could try the biotin, but that the hair loss was a delayed reaction to limited calories and protein from when I first had surgery. Biotin may help to strengthen the hair I have, but won't prevent the loss for now. Hang in there. Kay
  • spooky228
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I had surgery on Sept. 17th and my hair started falling out about 2 weeks ago. I have fine hair
    too. I have started to use Rogaine and take Biotin, but nothing yet. Hopefully it will grow back! I am afraid to perm it for fear
    it will totally fall out!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,704 Member
    Options
    Sleeved in June,. At 3 months friends started talking about it. I thought it wouldn't happen because I was eating so much protein and taking biotin; but it did anyways, just a month later. Was told it would grow back, and it is. Still freaky though. There is now a four inch fringe sticking out from amidst my long hair.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Eating beef and pork and 5000 biotin along with all my vitamins seems to work for me.
  • Casjosh
    Casjosh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I began to lose mine about 5 months out. My surgeon recommended cutting my hair, which I did and soon afterward it stopped. He always told me....you won't go bald, it will stop. And guess what...it did :smile: good luck
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I was sleeved on Sept 10th and haven't experienced this yet. My hair is actually thicker than ever and is growing at a much faster rate than presurgery. I have fine blonde hair and was terrified of my hair falling out, so I have really tried to stick to the protein requirements outlined by my doc. From my understanding, hair folicles are stimulated and grown only through a build up of excess protein in the body. Supplemental vitamins, such as biotin, will help to improve hair that has already grown, but has little to do with growing from the folicle. My takeaway from the doc: PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN! I'm sure you'll see positive results soon and I'm glad I have this post to look back to if/when this happens to me.
  • hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to start a new topic for about hair loss because I know it comes up a lot, but I wanted to ask around to see if anyone has any experience that would be similar to mine. I am still pre-sleeve (Jan 29th yay!), and from lurking around different forums I appreciate that hair loss seems to be part of the deal. But I have dreadlocks! Does the hair loss issue mean that I will start loosing entire dreadlocks? Anyone else out there in the same boat?
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    sleeved on Sept 6th - hair loss started for me about a month ago, along with a wicked plateau. i take vitamins, protein, everything, and it's still coming out like mad. like the others here, don't think there is a solution. i'm having mine cut short this weekend to make it look thicker. it's different for everybody...the weight of the dreads might make them pull out faster, I'd keep them tied back.