Texas hill country

Hello all! I am starting to plan a trip to the hill country for late February or early March. I was thinking of staying in Kerrville. Is anyone from the area or has done this trip who can give me any ideas on the area? I was down there years ago in a car, but the bike is a whole different story.

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    This has some good info: http://www.hillcountrycruising.com/the3s.html

Leakey and Vanderpool have motorcycle friendly places to visit and to stay.

Lost Maples Natural Area is nice for hiking (moreso in the fall when the Maples are changing colors though?)

Garner State Park in Concan also has cabins. We stayed in a screened shelter there the last time we made the trip out. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/garner

Watch for cops while riding the sisters and also watch out for wildlife- we had a huge ram run across the road in front of us last trip!

My favorite part of Texas!
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Thanks! I have checked out that site. Lots of good info online on the area. I was planning on Leakey actually at first, but I was thinking I wanted to ride in some of the areas west and north of Austin as well. Maybe I should rethink Leakey after all.
  • cmraiti
    cmraiti Posts: 3 Member
    I used to live in Kempner, north of Austin. We loved riding around Inks Lake and Lake Buchanan often. There's a castle on the lake, built using the plans of Bavarian King Ludwig. It's called Castle Falkenstein- seeing it on the horizon in Texas will blow your mind. There are a few good overlooks on the roads that circle the lakes. Check out HWY 1431 west of HWY 183. It's curvy, hilly, and great fun!
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    I used to live in Kempner, north of Austin. We loved riding around Inks Lake and Lake Buchanan often. There's a castle on the lake, built using the plans of Bavarian King Ludwig. It's called Castle Falkenstein- seeing it on the horizon in Texas will blow your mind. There are a few good overlooks on the roads that circle the lakes. Check out HWY 1431 west of HWY 183. It's curvy, hilly, and great fun!

Thanks for the heads up!