3 week stall??

Options
crzyjess84
crzyjess84 Posts: 22 Member
I have heard of the 3 week stall, but I haven't really paid much attention to it, until now.
I try not to be a scale watcher, but for the 3-5 days I have lost nothing. I know this may sound obsessive, but since I was sleeved on Dec 4th I have lost at least .5 lbs a day.
I know I can't expect this forever, but it's a little disheartening.

Has anyone else had the 3 week stall??

Replies

• therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, I hit a stall at week three and did not lose for nearly two weeks (I was sleeved 5/28). I wanted to scream and cry I was so frustrated. I was doing everything right and the weight was not coming off, then poof, one day it started again. I wish I would say I did this or that, but I just kept to my program and good habits. Keep up the good (and hard ) work and try not to let your thoughts de-rail your efforts. The weight loss will happen again!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am now 2.5 years out from surgery and can tell you stalls happen every now and then, it's just part of the process. Don't let it worry you too much unless it goes on for a month or more, then check with your surgeon or nutritionist. While stalled keep an eye on measurments instead because most of the time what's happening is you are losing fat, gaining muscle and since a pound of fat is bigger in size than a pound of muscle, you are losing inches rather than pounds. Either way, you are going down, so it's all still good!

My surgeon said as long as the clothes are still getting bigger, I am still headed in the right direction and not to stress about the numbers on the scale. I know that's hard, it is for me. But this process does take time, so follow the plan, get all your protein, water and make sure to exercise. You will get through the occasional stall just fine.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on Nov 25, 2013, I hit the three week stall and you are right it is so frustrating and with Christmas yesterday it was even harder. I am still on soft food so I was watching what I eat and thinking it is going to be worth it this time next year.
  • saneChick
    Options
    I had my sleeve on Dec 4th too and I am in the 3 week stall too. It is very frustrating! I haven't lost anything for about 5 days. Hopefully tomorrow is the day my scale starts moving down again.
  • blondymom911
    blondymom911 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm soo glad I'm not the only one! I thought I was eating either too few calories or too many, and was getting irritated that iI had only lost 28 lbs in the first month, then nothing for the last two and a half weeks! My sleeve was dec. 4th. Finally yesterday Iwas down a few more pounds! II've just started exercising at 6 weeks post-op. So glad for the support on here!
  • suzee279
    Options
    I had a 3 week stall where I lost virtualluy nothing for about 2.5 weeks before things kicked back in. I tend to stall regularly every 3-4 months, and then lose alot quickly when it breaks and it slowly tapers back off and then the process repeats. I decided very early on that this is a lifestyle change, and I was not going to freak out over these stalls. As long as you are doing the right thing, it will all work its way out. I am almost 1 year out from the surgery and have lost almost 100 lbs, so I dont think the stalls (or the way my body loses wieght) makes much difference as long as you are consistent and dont let it make you do things that are detrimental.

Don't worry...it will break and you will continue to lose ...

Suz
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I seem to stall every other wk now. Lose 2.5 lbs then nothing then 2.5 lbs again. I have to remind myself I am no longer hauling 47 extra pounds with every step!!! Just keep logging and especially measuring. This is my stall wk so I am extra vigilant. I am on track to be at 200# by Feb. But I won't beat myself up if I fall short. I have come so far.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess,

Sleeved June'13, with all kinds of weight loss patterns so far.

The early stalls were the most frustrating. Now it's easier just to wait for it to pass. [Just makes it hard to predict goals in our "Let's Lose 100+!" group monthly challenge. :ohwell: ]

There were weeks where I was stunned to see small losses almost every day. Other times where there was nothing for two-to-three weeks. Don't know why either happened. Could be muscle-fat conversion, salt/water retention, slow digestion/constipation, hormones or who-knows-what.

Used to be several pounds would drop at the end of a stall. Recently it's more modest.

I've lost 70% of excess body weight. But I'd like to see what a normal BMI feels like (for the first time in my life). So I'm staying on track and trusting in the laws of physics.

Don't know when it'll show on the scale, but if you eat this little and exercise this much, it has to go down. :drinker:

Paula
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh thank God! I was sleeved on November 13th and twice now I have had a weight gain. I have been religiously careful about my food and I exercise at least three times a week, including a spin class. Two weeks ago I had dropped to 188. Then I bounced up to 192, down to 190, down to 189, up to 189.5. I was pulling out my hair! I hadn't heard about the 3 week stall. Now I can relax a little...
  • caccicoo
    Options
    I have finally broken my 3 week stall! I got on the scale this morning and was 187. Whew! Still going to visit the dietician to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong but what a relief.
  • nantnet
    nantnet Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 4 months out and I can tell you stalls happen but they are generally short lived and I think maybe they are so scary because if you are anything like me, in my past attempts at weight loss I would hit a stall and give up and the weight would pile back on. If you are sticking to the plan provided by your nutritionist and or doctor you will start losing again soon. The stalls are short lived and frustrating but try to remember you had surgery so you have a tool that will get you past this stall and the next. Just stick with the plan.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yep. I think I lost a total of 1lb during my whole puree phase (weeks 3-5). No so much fun, but you'll get through it. One thing that helps is NOT to weigh every day. Once per week is plenty to let you know how you're doing without allowing you to focus on the scale.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When you hit a stall take a look at your hydration, protein and fiber. The body gets into a rut and needs a kick start; change up the food you eat so the body see something different. Get extra hydration, up your protein above goal levels and add some fiber.
  • ladybugplus
    ladybugplus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hit mine and it lasted almost 4 weeks but just 2 days ago my weight started to drop. Hopefully, my buckling down to following my WLS eating plan religiously will swing me back to consistantly losing again:drinker:
  • caccicoo
    Options
    So, one week ago I visited my dietician and talked to her about the month long plateau I had been on. I had been struggling eating the 70+ gms of protein that I had been told to eat. Eight weeks post op I had added a small amount of rice back into my diet. She told me no more rice and that I MUST eat at least 70gms of protein, that without it weight loss would be much more difficult. I followed her direction and here I am, one week later, and I am down 5 lbs. Go figure. Who knew that protein had so much to do with weight loss? I thought it was just so I wouldn't lose my hair as I was losing weight!
  • Sociologist2013
    Sociologist2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is normal and unfortunately, they continue. I will usually stall every other week. Its frustrating but its just how your body adjusts to the rapid weight loss.
  • dpfiester
    dpfiester Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new on here. Had my sleeve done on 1/28 so it has been 2 1/2 weeks. I have only lost about 6 lbs since my surgery, and nothing in the last week. I lost the 6 lbs during the 1 week liquid phase after the surgery. Since I started on soft foods I haven't lost a thing. I am getting in my water and protein, but haven't started exercising yet so maybe that has something to do with it? I hope it turns around soon, very frustrating!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new on here. Had my sleeve done on 1/28 so it has been 2 1/2 weeks. I have only lost about 6 lbs since my surgery, and nothing in the last week. I lost the 6 lbs during the 1 week liquid phase after the surgery. Since I started on soft foods I haven't lost a thing. I am getting in my water and protein, but haven't started exercising yet so maybe that has something to do with it? I hope it turns around soon, very frustrating!
    Protein and water and measure your food, log everything. Don't eat between meals. If you keep doing this your body will give in and you will make progress. Also take fiber, I was so backed up from the protein. You can have 5 lbs of poo in you. After the 4 th week I lost 20#s in one month. I measure and log religiously.
  • dpfiester
    dpfiester Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Mangopickle,
    Thanks for the response. I am weighing and measuring everything. Just started to keep a log on here and I can see it is going to make it so much easier to keep track. I have noticed some bowel trouble, and I am working on that. LOL! I know it can back up, had trouble even before this surgery and way of eating. I am doing everything I am suppose to, so I figured eventually the scales are going to have to move. I just can't imagine that they won't! It is just really frustrating considering what I have done to make losing easier, and still not see the scales move. Thanks again!
  • suzee279
    Options
    Your body has been through a pretty major trauma, so it is taking some time to adjust to the new "normal" You also may be one of those people more prone to stalls (as am I ). Keep following directives, while making sure you are getting enough protein and water. It will all kick back in and when it does you will see lots of drops quickly. Fiber is a huge help with regulating things and that will help too. I stall on a regular basis, but am still losing weight, even tho I am a year out. Have faith...do what you ar supposed to be doing and it will happen!!

Suzee