Minor disagreement over "weight lifting"

Options
rlw911
rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
On Christmas Day, my mom was asking me about my weight loss and what I was doing, so I told her I was lifting weights. My stepdaughter was standing there and she said "you should do the Body Pump class" and I said "they look like fun, but I'm lifting weights" and even my DH spoke up and said "she's lifting weights". She said "Body Pump is lifting weights" and I said "no, I'm LIFTING WEIGHTS (not yelling, just heavy emphasis), to which she replied again "Body Pump IS lifting weights". At that point, I said something about it including a lot of cardio and quickly tried to change the subject, before it got more awkward.

Is there some other way I could've explained the difference, at that moment, without going into a long explanation? I didn't want to say I "lift heavy", because I didn't think that would really accomplish anything. I'm thinking about calling her to talk to her about it, because I'm afraid I may have hurt her feelings.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Maybe say you are barbell training? I don't know, family gets on my nerves.
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Just say Body Pump is weighted cardio and you are doing Olympic lifting with barbells.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Just say Body Pump is weighted cardio and you are doing Olympic lifting with barbells.

Agree with this. Sometimes i"ll jump in a Body Pump class to mix things up, but that's once in a blue moon. I prefer to go out in the weight room and "lift heavy" (even though I lift more than the girls in the Body Pump class).
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options

Perfect! That pretty much explains it. I'm not sure if she would understand the Olympic part totally, but it definitely sounds more impressive. :wink:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting* but the sentiment remains the same. I would say that body pump is similar to circuit training which is considered a type of weight lifting/training. It is definitely not the same as progressive loading weight training though. :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting* but the sentiment remains the same. I would say that body pump is similar to circuit training which is considered a type of weight lifting/training. It is definitely not the same as progressive loading weight training though. :drinker:

FTW!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    anything you say probably won't make them understand the difference.

it's funny cause 3-4 yrs ago i mustered up the courage to join a gym and do group fitness classes and body pump was one of the first ones i tried. good to learn form and different names of exercises, other than that you aren't going anywhere, or stalling pretty quickly, as far as strength progression goes.

Safe to say, i'll never do a pump class again though. i can just jog a few miles with a weighted backpack and get the same effect.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My friends and family never understand what I mean when I say I lift weights. I always emphasize on the heavy part of it and tell them I'm squatting almost 1.5x my body weight. Some get it, some don't. I had a very similar conversation at a Christmas party with my family