What do you do with your phone?

Options
rlw911
rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
Thought I'd ask a different type, but equally important, question. :happy:

I use my phone to listen to music while I workout. I also use an app to track my sets and reps. Since I need easy access to the phone, the typical armband won't work. I've been wrapping the earbud cord around the phone and then tucking it into my sports bra strap, but every time I take it out to record my sets, the cord gets more twisted. :grumble: I end up having to take my earbuds out every few sets to interest them. Granted, it does give me something to do during my rest time, but there's gotta be a better way!

Replies

• wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use a separate ipod for my music, tucked into my sports bra along with the cord. My phone has the SL app (which really needs to be FIXED since I can't change the weights after updating to iOS 7........... :( ) and it's usually sitting on the window sill next to the squat rack.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    wireless earbuds?? I have seen these somewhere
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have an mp3 that clips to my shirt and I use a small notebook and pen to keep track of all my workouts. My gym also offers sheets/pens/cliboards to use if I forget my notebook. With my luck I would drop a weight on my phone if I had it in the gym with me.

Maybe get a smaller player for music and just keep the phone out separate?
  • rlw911
    Options
    So, y'all are saying I should dig out my mp3 player and take it to the gym? Now why didn't I think of that? :laugh:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, keep track of my sets on a spreadsheet, and peruse mfp during my workout. I just use an armband. I wouldn't keep your phone in your bra unless you don't want to ever take advantage of your phones warranty. (Sweat will trigger the moisture indicator.) I keep mine in an armband, or in my hoodie pocket if it's a cold day. I have an armpocket and they are pretty nice. It fits my phone with commuter otterbox on it. They do have blue tooth headsets/earbuds but I haven't read any stunning reviews for any of them and they're kinda pricey!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a SPI belt I use for running that I use for lifting if I decide the gym radio isn't cutting it that day.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to get a belt from Amazon to put an ipod in, as the music selection at my black iron gym is quite.. well, quite Eminem and rap focused, and it's not really my tasted to have a load of 'motherfathers' every other word..

But I just carry my phone round, dump it with my towel and drink while I'm doing a set, use it to record my progress on an app, and stick it in a spare shoe to take video of me from time to time!
  • rlw911
    Options
    I listen to music, keep track of my sets on a spreadsheet, and peruse mfp during my workout. I just use an armband. I wouldn't keep your phone in your bra unless you don't want to ever take advantage of your phones warranty. (Sweat will trigger the moisture indicator.) I keep mine in an armband, or in my hoodie pocket if it's a cold day. I have an armpocket and they are pretty nice. It fits my phone with commuter otterbox on it. They do have blue tooth headsets/earbuds but I haven't read any stunning reviews for any of them and they're kinda pricey!

I've thought about the sweat issue. I have a case on my phone and I make sure I tuck it in case side down, and I try to keep it tucked more into the strap, instead of all the way into the bra.

It looks like there are other options for carrying a phone, besides an armband. I guess I'll have to go to The Google too see what I can find. (When my granddaughter was 5, she asked us if we knew how to use The Google, so that's how I think of it now!)
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a case on mine, but honestly I don't sweat all that much while lifting.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

I've thought about the sweat issue. I have a case on my phone and I make sure I tuck it in case side down, and I try to keep it tucked more into the strap, instead of all the way into the bra.

It looks like there are other options for carrying a phone, besides an armband. I guess I'll have to go to The Google too see what I can find. (When my granddaughter was 5, she asked us if we knew how to use The Google, so that's how I think of it now!)

That is cute. And Google is taking over our lives. Soon it might be known as "the google." I, for one, welcome our new overlords.

You could always do a fanny pack type thinger? Idk I use a belt for my heaviest sets so that doesn't really work for me, but you know until you decide you want to compete I'm sure it'd be fine :wink:
  • rlw911
    Options
    Lydia, I didn't think about a waist band holder thingie. And Fit, I'm sure if the day ever comes that I decide to compete, any waist band holder thingie I buy now, would be worn out by then! :laugh:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    yes, I didn't want an armband because of the amount of arm utilisation in the workouts and thought it would get in the way..
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    I use mine to get cute girls' phone numbers at the gym. :tongue: :love:
  • rlw911
    Options
    I use mine to get cute girls' phone numbers at the gym. :tongue: :love:

Don't think that would work for me. :tongue:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I use an armband, but since I use tracking apps that require easy access too, I just put it on my arm upside-down, so I can just stick out my elbow to see and tap the screen. (The window is touch-sensitive, so I can tap my screen through it.)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a spi belt atm, so I keep it tucked behind me so the earphone's cord doesn't dangle too much. I've gotten stuck on machines and barbells enough times though that I decided to offer myself bluetooth earphones during the boxing day. i bought them online and I should have them by the end of next week! So excited! Then I'll probably just have the phone sitting in my notebook.

It's such a hassle to get the phone out to use tracking apps that I basically just use a 1$ notebook and write down my workout by hand. That way I can take notes and stuff too. I just fill in my fitocracy log once I get home that day. (Having previous wrokouts easy to flip through also helps when I'm unsure what weight to go with :))
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I have and use this. Does the job and my key fits in there too if I don't get a day locker.