Gluten and Acid Reflux?

Options
Does anyone find that gluten ( and in my case dairy also) causes Acid Reflux when you sleep? I have been taking Zantac for about 4 yrs now - A low dose and I was recently diagnosed with Gluten Sensitivity.... I am wondering if that was my problem all along?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this about my hubs. He eats pretty well but still has reflux. Interestingly, when he visits his family, he doesn't... Two big differences: they are vegetarian, and don't eat breads...
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would love to know.... Reflux really is horrible! And when you get it when sleeping it's the worst!!! You feel like crap from lake of sleep and now you throat and chest hurt :/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    FWIW: early on in the Wheat Belly book the doctor states that modern wheat causes acid reflux.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac in late September and I am trying to get a good hold on my diet once I do I am going to try to go off my Zantac. I have been on a prescription dose for over a year now.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Really hope there's no correct joining of the 2..although I've also been recently concerned regarding a mucus issue.. thative attributed to an accidental wheat or soy!.. its so specific..
  • cwgrlfth
    cwgrlfth Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. Once you start eliminating gluten that will ease
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This thread is great. I hope to convince Hubs and my sister to try a month GF. I've been GF (on and a month or so off) for 2 years. I *know* my gut, my bowels, my my migraines are better when I'm GF but as is human nature, once every few months of feeling good I have to test things.
    I know it's hard to give up. I know it's hard to maintain. I KNOW my sister's issues are twice my own and I believe my hubs' issues are at least as significant as my own.

cheers to you who know and live what you know.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for years, and I still get acid reflux. It isn't as bad, but it still happens more than I would like.
  • readyfortaipei
    readyfortaipei Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Losing the gluten has helped my IBS AND acid reflux quite a bit. No longer need to take medication for either.

Jean
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 3 months until this past week (Christmas). I've had several nights were I've had acid reflux and was trying to figure out why, that my be my answer. I went GF to see if that was my migraine trigger because while on South Beach my lifelong headaches vanished, after slipping off they have returned. They were gone again until the reintro of gluten along with weight gain, bloating, sinus issues, brain fog, joint and plantar fasciitis pain and general blah feeling. I'll be going back to GF!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've been gluten free for 3 months until this past week (Christmas). I've had several nights were I've had acid reflux and was trying to figure out why, that my be my answer. I went GF to see if that was my migraine trigger because while on South Beach my lifelong headaches vanished, after slipping off they have returned. They were gone again until the reintro of gluten along with weight gain, bloating, sinus issues, brain fog, joint and plantar fasciitis pain and general blah feeling. I'll be going back to GF!
    This was basically how I figured it out too. I gave up most wheat products a decade ago and didn't notice that I didn't have tummy aches, which is odd. A few years ago I started eating sandwiches a bit more (on whole grain bread) and the tummy aches returned. Then I went GF and the tummy aches stopped...

Stick to GF! South Beach is awesome. Such an easy way to go about things. Have you read his Gluten Solution book?
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you read his Gluten Solution book?

Yes! Shortly after reading Wheat Belly and started thinking about cutting the wheat I ran across the Gluten Solution. So glad I did and it makes perfect sense.
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to have BAD acid reflux! It was so horrible! I would take acid reducers, acid controllers, and long-term term things like Prilosect, and nothing ever worked for me. When I went GF, it disappeared! Now I only get acid reflux if I have too much chocolate or eat fried foods (or accidentally get glutened).
  • student37
    student37 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!!! I have been getting acid reflux lately and couldn't figure out why. Never thought about the chocolate that I have been eating with the holidays!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you want to try and stop using so much antacid medication, try eating a small piece (3cm x 3cm ish) of organic orange peel, my hubster suffered with really bad reflux and this helps A LOT!!! It has something to do with the bitter compounds, google it if you want the scientific gargon but honestly it works.

There is a link between undiagnosed/untreated ceoliac and problems with gallbladders and acid reflux.