Big weight gain

Options
djkidder3
djkidder3 Posts: 10 Member
I have gained 20 pounds since I had all my blood work and cancer testing done last April. It doesn't make any sense to me since my activity levels are up. I am now a full time student and I work part time (no munching at the desk) on top of all the mom and wife duties. So my conclusion is my meds are off, but the weight gain seems to be the only symptom. Any other ideas or suggestions to help me figure this out? I am tired of fighting this, and feel like it's a losing battle. GP just says 'I'm not 20 anymore'.

Papillary Thyroid Cancer January 2010.

Replies

• Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    From the time I was diagnosed (Sept 2012) to when I finished treatment (Jan 2013), I gained about 15 lbs. I was only occasionally nauseous during chemo - and my issue was mostly that food tasted bad because of the metal-based chemo. I ate whatever I could stomach - which meant I survived for several months on bagels with cream cheese, cheddar cheese and chicken soup from our local farm store. I wasn't drinking enough fluids and felt miserable.

It wasn't until I finished treatment and the doctor started me on an antidepressant to stop my hot flashes - that my appetite actually slowed down. I really needed to recover from the effects of the treatment before I could lose any weight. So it wasn't until about August this year that I was finally down the weight I gained and then some.

So with that said, it could definitely be your meds. I've been on meds in the past (non cancer) that definitely messed up my metabolism and caused weight gain. Are these meds that you need to remain on for a long period of time? Is there any chance your doctor will change your dosage?