Squat disagreement

Options
Oishii
Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
I asked a PT at the gym to check my form for the squat as the weight was getting a little more challenging.

He said it was good, but I shouldn't go so low because I'd injure myself. My concern was that I wasn't even breaking parallel. I tried expressing this but he just kept saying I shouldn't go so low early on. I argued that, if I didn't go low when it was easy, how on earth would I go low when it was harder? He just kept saying I'd injure myself!

So, what to do? Ignore PT? Aim to lower height of warm-up sets first and keep adding weight? Stop adding weight until I can break parallel on what I squat at the moment?

Replies

• joycloete
    Options
    Press the mute button on him.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Press the mute button on him.
    :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you should deload to a weight where you can get below parallel then work up from there. No point increasing the weight past the point where you no longer have good form.

if you can't get below parallel at any weight, then that could be a form issue, or a flexibility issue, and it's something you'll need to fix. Working with a broom stick can help resolve issues like that, then once resolved start at a weight you have good form with and work up from there.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    If you are doing the program correctly, he is wrong.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, video your sets. This is what I do to make sure my form is perfect. When I see my form breaking at heavier numbers I know it's time to either work on my flexibility or deload.