Doing a WOD twice in one day

Options
ascrit
ascrit Posts: 770 Member
So my office is closed all next week and most of the week after for the holidays. My CF gym offers early morning, mid morning, and afternoon/evening classes and I have always toyed with the idea of going twice in one day. Have any of you ever done a WOD twice in one day? How did it go?

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Dunno. Sounds hard. But, I think the professionals do it.
    Isn't it going to be the same WOD both times?
  • k_stew_
    Options
    If I were you I would only WOD once and if you felt like you had the energy to do more incorporate an extra lifting session.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Done it many times. Often back to back without the day in between. Best idea? Hardly. But every once in a while, why not mix up your routine and do something odd? Of course it should go without saying to listen to your body. If you get started on your second time through and you feel too exhausted, stop. No need to hurt yourself.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    i do wods 2x a way probably 3 to 4 times a week. I think it's ok to do as long as your body has worked up to that kind of working out. another girl here does it too
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I workout twice a day sometimes. What i do is make sure I eat enough inbetween the workouts so i have fuel for later.

I like the suggestion above of a wod and later on a lifting session,
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    i do wods 2x a way probably 3 to 4 times a week. I think it's ok to do as long as your body has worked up to that kind of working out. another girl here does it too

Haha I believe that other girl would be me? :P

Yep, train 9-10 times a week so I have 3-4 days a week where I train twice. One of those days I do 1 strength/WOD session and 1 purely lifting session, but the other 2-3 days I do 2 WOD sessions in a day.
    In the first few weeks that I trained that much I had a couple of little injuries (sore elbow, pulled my lower back, etc). Nothing that a bit of rest and changing programs around couldn't fix, but it is something to be mindful of if your body isn't prepared for it.

When I train twice in a day I'll do a morning (7 or 9am) and then late arvo/evening around 5pm so plenty of time to rest in between but just listen to your body. Try it out once and if you find that you're exhausted or too sore the next day then maybe have a day off before doing another double day. Make sure you eat enough to fuel both sessions too.

I definitely don't think there's ANY problems with training twice a day. It's all up to you :)
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I will workout 2x/day about 3 times per week and on those days you need to make sure your caloric intake reflects the fuel your body needs to perform properly. Also, if your gym only posts one WOD/program per day, maybe switch up your second workout, do some goat work, improve on something you aren't great at yet.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The key is recovery. Early morning WOD + Late evening WOD isn't a good idea as you will not really have enough recovery time. My coach has always said 6-8 hours between WODs minimum... and that's with a quality diet and enough intake to support it.

My Box offers a WOD and a MetCon option so most of our folks do the Main Floor WOD and then maybe the MetCon in the evening if the WOD wasn't challenging enough for them.