Hi! I Am New Here.

Options
Hello!

I just watched the documentary last night and I am inspired and intrigued! I do not have a juicer yet but hope to get one very soon so I can begin this journey!

-Tina

Replies

• janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hiya, tbrey0!

I too just recently the documentary and am totally pumped over it. I'm still shopping for which juicer to buy. I have started drinking smoothies a lot this last week and find they really hit the spot as a healthy meal replacer. I feel so much better after having a smoothie for lunch at work as opposed to eating pizza or burgers. Go figure, eh?

Janeen
  • tbrey0
    tbrey0 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for your reply janeensan! I am also doing research on what juicer to get...thinking about the Breville Juice Fountain Elite.
    I agree...I feel so much better when I have a smoothie rather than "junk" foods!! It only makes sense. :-)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Welcome tbrey0,

I just bought a cheaper juicer, and it did me fine. I actually bought a 2nd one, same make / model, to use at work. I'm in the middle of a bit of a juice 'experiment' now, and I'll post my 'findings' when I'm done.

Best of luck,

sloth \|/
  • scrowl86
    scrowl86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I am new to this group as well.

I went to Walmart and bought a $35.00 juicer. I downloaded the 'Joe Cross 3-Day" diet and am trying that out. In my head I want to Juice for longer because I am in need of a jump start so badly.

I made two versions of the 'Sunrise' shake yesterday as a test. The recipe calls for 4 carrots, 2 oranges, and 1 beet. I cleaned everything and cut the ends off the carrots. I was unsure on how to do the oranges and so in version one put in the oranges peel and all. Version two I peeled the oranges.

I only could stomach version two that contained the peeled oranges. so i thing I will be peeling any citrus I add to my juices.

I know that I will have to get used to the taste but I want to stick with primarily vegetable blends because my weight problem stems directly from my bodies improper storage of carbs and sugar. I am not diabetic but I have been told by my doctor that I should eat like one. So I want to limit the fruit o juice. :(

Glad there is a group as this is a journey that I am excited to try
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    HI scrowl86,

Quite a few newbies here, this Jan. NIce to see. I plan to write a big post about my experiences and thoughts about juicing... good and bad... in a day or two.

I just want to say, that it's my humble opinion, that setting a short ( 3 day ) goal to start, and re-evaluating, is a good plan. Once you do 3 days, you may have a feel for how things are, and know if you can hack another 2, or 7 days, or whatever. I just did a 3 day, 'reboot' and I'm pleased with the results, I'm gonna post the preliminary results, in this forum.

But, as someone who has 'juiced,' I do want to say, again, IMHO.... the movie, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, implies that all of us can just jump on the juice wagon, and do nothing but juice for 60 days.... it becomes everyone's goal. And I don't think that's the case for everyone. I have lots of ideas on how to start with juicing, then transition to eating at a deficit, and continue to lose weight... rather than juice until you give up, and go back to eating too much and gain even more weight.

New thread about my last 3 days is here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1162607-the-sloth-3-day-detox
  • tbrey0
    tbrey0 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!

Last weekend I bought a Breville Juice Fountain and I have been juicing twice a day since then and loving it! I have not been juicing exclusively though. I have also been eating whole fruits and veggies, whole grain brown rice, legumes, and very small amounts of lean meat. I have had almost no dairy, wheat, gluten, sugar etc. for close to a week now. I have lost 4 pounds since 1/1/14 and I feel awesome. I have more energy and less symptoms from my health conditions - especially since starting the juicing!

I need to go on an elimination diet due to chronic health conditions to see if food might be causing some things - and it already feels like cutting out certain foods is making a difference. I have already begun to eliminate most "offenders" but my birthday is coming up and I am waiting until after that to embark on this in full force. I plan to begin with a juice fast, but I haven't decided for how long yet.

-Tina
  • frankhenderson
    frankhenderson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also new to this forum. I started my juice journey 1/4 and have now completed day 8. I have to say that this is the best transition for me to go from junk food to more healthy eating. My best friend has completed 60 days and WOW! If you would like to read his blog about its http://mygreenjuicingjourney.blogspot.com. I have been only drinking juice. I am really surprised at how little I need to keep my energy up. I also track everything and my juice is within MFP calories for the day. I have had a lot of success so far and will continue this for 14 days (maybe longer IDK). Good luck!
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    I am also new to this forum. I started my juice journey 1/4 and have now completed day 8.

Nice to hear from you, Frank. Awesome to hear things are going so well. Please keep posting results, and thoughts, here.
  • frankhenderson
    frankhenderson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Day 9. Jumped on the scale and.... Went up 1/2 pound *sigh*. No, it's not really that bad. I just imagine always loosing weight, not gaining it back. My weight fluctuates quite a bit so I'm kinda used to it. I started my day off with grapefruit, carrots, green apple, and ginger. I think it's my favorite drink!
  • Fruit4dessert
    Fruit4dessert Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm new here too. I'm not new to juicing, but my lovely Breville juicer has gone through long phases of collecting dust over the past few years. One week ago, I pulled my juicer out of the cupboard and started a juice cleanse -- my first real juice cleanse! -- after a holiday season of way too much sugar, fat, and processed grains. I am amazed that I have had NO "sugar detox" carb cravings, which I've had before when I've eliminated sugar and other processed carbs. In fact, I have felt very energetic and upbeat, and not hungry at all. It's great! I know I have lost a few pounds too, but I'm not sure how many because I'm flaky about weighing myself. I am just focusing on how I feel and how my clothes fit. Starting today, I am going to juice at least three times a day, while incorporating a meal with food according to the Eat to Live program. I do have about 20 pounds to lose (my MFF profile is outdated, it says I'm in maintenance mode but I have slipped up over the past year, and that's no longer accurate).
  • delsin
    delsin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new here as well! Just got my Breville juicer today and I am looking forward to starting! If I plan on juicing 1-2 times daily, is it a meal replacement? Any other tips/tricks? :)
  • sloth3toes
    Options
    Hello! I am new here as well! Just got my Breville juicer today and I am looking forward to starting! If I plan on juicing 1-2 times daily, is it a meal replacement? Any other tips/tricks? :)

What do you want it to be? What are your goals?