DisneyWorld help

Options
Hi all -
I was sleeved in July 2013. Things have gone well and I feel great.

I'm taking my sons to Disney for a week. Any recommendations on healthy places to eat within the parks or resorts? Last time we were there it seemed like we ate burgers and fries at every meal.

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I went to Disneyland with my daughter at about 6 months out and had no problem at all. Disney actually had plenty of healthy choices. I think that when you're on the lookout for burgers and fries, you'll have no problem finding them, yet when you're focused on meats, fruits and veggies you'll also find them. Almost every restaurant had salads or entrees that consisted of lean meats.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Go online, I think the menus at the various restaurants are posted. We went there for a wk and never once ate burgers or fries. We used the meal plan and though they suggested crap snacks practically every restaurant and nifty food cart had a snack option that was not junk. One day our snack was a smoothie and one day a chocolate crepe. We never wasted our snack option on soda and popcorn. I think the Moroccan restaurant was everyone's favorite. 100% healthy and huge portions
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Last time I was there I wasn't paying much attention to what I ate. Hopefully it will be easy to find healthier choices.
  • cKarlLose
    Options
    When you get back, I full expect to see your profile pic changed to one of you in a teacup!
  • drewgirl56
    drewgirl56 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck! And offer you a word of caution--avoid the buffets if they're offered in the resorts! I say this because my friend (who had RNY, but after this incident) visited for a week and managed to gain 30 lbs at the buffets. Good luck and have fun!
  • misslynn23
    misslynn23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You can take food and drinks into the parks. So pack some healthy snacks, water and Mio/Crystal Light in your backpack. That way you save money and have control of your food choices.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,705 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's turkey jerky (also beef, buffalo & salmon) travels really well and gives you yummy protein.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I took my 11 year old daughter in May 2013 to Disney World and we did not do the meal plan. I shipped down my shakes to our resort for my morning coffee/shake combo for breakfast, she got the kids breakfast from the resort. I also shipped down 2 large bags of jack's links turkey jerkey for snacks. I portioned it out into snack bags to take into the park in our daybag, I also packed bottled water, crystal light, (granola bars and fruit snacks (for daughter)) in our daybag. Now, I'm lucky in that my kid doesn't eat a ton, so when we go out to eat we split an adult entree, if we can agree on one (otherwise we end up taking doggy bags home) Every park has one quick service restraunt that serves 1/2 a rotisery chicken for about $10, this was our lunch. I would pick off my 3oz off the breast and daughter would eat the thigh and leg and what ever sides came with it. One night we went to Sanaa for dinner and we split the new york strip and I splurged with a piece of naan, she had seconds on the naan. We did a princess dinning at Epcot and I had a baked split chicken breast, she had pizza. Disney's webpage is great at having menus for every restaurant/foodcart on property posted, you can kinda plan where you will have your meals and have a rough idea what you will order, make reservations for sitdown restaurants early. Having a plan, Have a blast! All the extra calories you burn walking all over the parks will cover a slurge or two.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Many good tips here. I also just posted a bit of a blog regarding a 17 day Florida vacation we just got back from. I lost 12.5 pounds on the trip.

@Misslyn23 is right on the mark with Disney. They are very liberal in allowing food, drink into the park Since they know they will get every dollar in your wallet the don't nickle/dime you. @Latse has it nailed as well; stock the hotel with your morning protein so you can have a good fuel up before you start. Emerald Almonds in 100 calorie packs are great to carry. Very filling and 9g protein per 100 calorie pack. Track your walking hours in MFP (2.0 MPH, light walking, times the hours your are walking around. I reduced the total excursion time by 20% to account for sitting time) so you can see your earned net calories. When I did not do this and eat I did feel tired. You have to snack if you are walking all day. The earned calories are significant if you spend 8-10 hours in the park,

Almost every quick serve has Chicken Cesar salads. Eat the chicken (4-6oz) give someone the salad. Tureky legs can be shared as well. I you choose a meal plan you will have many of sit down choices with great options. I was not scrared of any buffets as I can't eat more that 8oz and there are always protein choices. Buffets are pricey for us now as we cannot get the "volume to price" benefit but the family always does well. Give your snack points to family and just drink water between meals (saves money on the kids).

Magic Kingdom: Homestyle food in Liberty Square, near Horseshoe review. Need reservations. American fare; Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham family platters with veggies and trimmings. Breakfast buffet at Chrystal Cafe (eggs and meats).

Studios: 50/60's Diner. Great healthy choices (turkey, RB, Chicken ect.). Momma Melrose (grilled chicken and fish)

Animal Kingdom: Boma at the Lodge has a GREAT breakfast and dinner buffet. There is one sit down in the park with Donald's Breakfast Buffet and a great lunch/dinner buffet.

EPCOT: Tons of high quality sit downs but you need a reservation. My favorite was always the German buffet - great meats/proteins. Unfortunately I will never be able to down 2 liters of Oktoberfest beer with dinner again! We love: Teppen Eddo in Japan, The indoor plaza at Mexico, Princess Breakfast at Norway and the cafe in England (can watch the bands play in the garden).

Hope this helps - worked for me.