Post Sleeve Calorie Intake

Options
Hi Friends... and fellow sleevers :-)

Question - what is your calorie target? I am 2 weeks out from surgery and my target it 1000. Most days I am averaging about 850 I guess. I keep getting messages from My fitness pal about calorie intake too low and starvation.

I am going by my nutritionists instructions and I do average at least 70 grams of protein, but wondered what the rest of you wre getting in daily and if you see any issues with the amount?

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• vickidlovelace
    vickidlovelace Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My surgeon recommends 70-80 gms protein and 800-1200 calories...I stayed around 800 during the beginning..worked great!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The generic MFP standards do not apply to WLS. Follow YOUR surgeon's plan and use your surgeon's support staff to answer your nutrition questions, especially early on. Once you get close to goal and maintenance, the MFP standards may or may not apply, depending on your activity, lean mass, metabolism, level of restriction and psychological food issues.
  • dej923
    dej923 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks out & just starting to get in 600+ daily. My goal is 60g protein which I haven't been great at reaching. I was worried I was increasing my intake too fast but maybe I'm on the right track! After I finish the mushy & soft foods stage my normal recommended intake is 1000-1200 per day according to my surgeon's packet. I too get the daily warning from MFP but I just continue following my surgeon's instructions.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Wow! You're doing really well for 2 weeks out! I was getting closer to 600 cal and 70g of protein at that stage. My target is 1000 cal and 70+ g of protein per day and will probably remain there until I reach goal in 38 lbs. I hit it right on target most days now.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I was around 6-800 cals for the first couple of months as I really struggled with liquid and pureed stages. I now eat normal foods and average around 1,200 cals a day and I am maintaining at this level. I don't worry as much about protein now and it a normal mix of healthy foods.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    650 calories and at least 50g protein ( I averaged 70) for 1st month. Now the nutritionist wants me at 750-850. This is fine. I am sedentary still since I am 5 wks out and any bouncing of my abdomen makes me queasy. Seems like I lose a solid # every 3days. I know this will slow later. Loved taking my reports from MFP to my last visit. Ignore the starvation warnings on MFP. They don't apply to wls.
  • SOCALGIRLY38
    SOCALGIRLY38 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice and replies! I am going to keep on keeping on.....
    :love:
  • Jerzzygurl
    Options
    You can customize your calorie intake. Just go to your goals and set it to whatever your Nut/Doc has told you to intake.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you want to see what I eat you can look at my diary, it is open. Anyone is welcome to add me as friend. I log my food everyday, tho I often forget to log my vitamins.
  • teachren
    Options
    I see you've had many responses but I'll chime in anyway! :-)

I was sleeved May 13, 2013 so in another week am coming up on 8 months. I am down 120 pounds and have had some significant stalls or pauses in my loss along the way.

Right from the start, I have tried to stick as close as possible to 650 calories, 80+ grams of protein, less than 40 grams of carbs and 20 grams of fat. For the first 5 months my carbs were usually under 20. Now I go over occasionally as I have added in a small bowl of cereal here or there and am eating a bit more fruit.

I am all for sticking by what your surgeon reccommends but I do feel that all surgeons are not created equal. There are many that have just gotten into the VSG procedure as it has become more mainstream. I don't necessarily think they have the expertise or expereince that some have acquired doing this procedure much longer.

I am not one of those anti carb people but from my personal expereince I do tend to overeat when I add in too many carbs. Case in point I was just on a week cruise and told myself I would indulge (in small amounts) but nevertheless wouldn't stop myself from trying things I had not eaten for 7 months. I had some small desserts, I ate a few pieces of delicious crusty bread, and didn't stop myself from downing a bucket of Corona over an afternoon. Luckily, I exercised on board and at the end of it all was just up 2 pounds...and have in a week lost all of it...and a bit more. I got back to basics...a shake, a lot of lean protein, a bit of veg, some low fat dairy and lots of water.

My weight loss definitely started to slow around month 6. I have stuck with the low calories (even though every day MFP tells me I am in starvation mode :-) because I truly believe the first year is when I have the best opportunity to lose the weight. I do not feel deprived, I do not resent my surgery and am grateful that I have it to help me regulate myself. The farther out you get from surgery the more I would argue you start to realize that it is the choices that you make that help you acheive your weight loss goals. I can eat now the way i did on my cruise and not suffer any ill effects. BUT...I would stop losing weight and I am not prepared to do that. Once in a while..sure...I live a little.

So...my two cents...1000-1200 cals is way too much 2 weeks out. Frankly I didn't even feel like eating that much so I am astonished people can. If you're asking for advice...I'd say cut your calories back and up your protein!

Good luck...

Renee
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends... and fellow sleevers :-)

Question - what is your calorie target? I am 2 weeks out from surgery and my target it 1000. Most days I am averaging about 850 I guess. I keep getting messages from My fitness pal about calorie intake too low and starvation.

I am going by my nutritionists instructions and I do average at least 70 grams of protein, but wondered what the rest of you wre getting in daily and if you see any issues with the amount?

Thanks in advance...

Focus on protein and water not calories. You will get this MFP message for many months. Your capacity is very limited and the early Dr. prescribed diet cannot meet MFP levels which cannot be set for less than a 2 lb per week weight loss. MFP will also add back the calories earned during exercise (net calories) and show them as remaining, After two months you may be able to come closer to the line on some days and you will start to learn the habits needed to maintain weight loss atfter you stabilize. Good luck.
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't work well with WLS. As DJRonnieLINY said, focus more on water and protein. These two things will affect every thing that you will experience as you go forward. They are a great way to handle the "hunger" that you'll feel. The more water and protein you take in, the less "hungry" you'll feel.

I have my surgery November 4, and I range between 600 to 1100 calories a day, but that doesn't mean anything because I'm getting all the nutrition my body needs to lose weight and survive.