The Wrath of Acid

Options
Skeebee
Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
So, tummy acid just started about 2 weeks ago. *sigh.....counting my blessings since I have had a very good pregnancy without morning sickness or anything up until now. Antacids and peppermint have been my only saving grace. For my fellow preggerinos, what other remedies have you ladies tried that seem to be helping?

Replies

• stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    A glass of milk if you can stomach it. I hate drinking milk, so I'd rather have the heartburn. But if you want to try it. If it gets bad at night try propping your head up a little bit and sleep semi-reclining.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I get it pretty bad too. :sad:

For me I stay away from anything fried or from too many simple carbs (cookies, chocolate, etc...the good stuff!!!). lol

If I'm in the middle of the wrath I count on Tums or peppermint tea with honey which both do a good job of calming my tummy.

Also avoid eating right before bed or wait an hour or so before you lay down for a nap.

**Oh...and I found out that eating frozen kefir or frozen yogurt does a pretty good job of calming my tummy. :love: I'd stick to the original tart flavor to avoid added sugar in the other flavors.
  • qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that simple carbs and starches (potatoes, specifically) give me the worst heart burn! Even when I had it before I got pregnant, I never took anything for it. I'm thankful Tums is still effective. Usually 2 tablets give me the relief I need, but there isn't a flavor of Tums out there that I actually like... I hate taking them! I can't drink milk, it makes me really sick. C'mon, 5 more months!
  • Skeebee
    Options
    A glass of milk if you can stomach it. I hate drinking milk, so I'd rather have the heartburn. But if you want to try it. If it gets bad at night try propping your head up a little bit and sleep semi-reclining.

Yeah, I don't drink milk so I'm with you there. :-( I would rather deal with the pain. I'll try the pillow. :-)
  • Skeebee
    Options
    Thanks ,all, for the tips! Guess I'm just going to have to suck it up, basically. blaaah!!!
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I know this isn't a brand new post but I just joined the group and saw it here. My naturopath has suggested meadowsweet tea which does really seem to help! It's even better than the peppermint which I find sometimes makes it worse. I'm lucky I can drink milk so I use that as well. Otherwise I find crackers and cheese helps quite a lot too.

Hope this is useful to someone!
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    oh also magnesium tablets help!