How to add/figure calories burned when using DVD workouts?

Options
Hey there BWLW members!

I've been on mfp for a little while, but am not familiar with all it has to offer. I know some of you ladies are a little more advanced on here and I wa just wondering if you can tell me the answer to the question above? I use a few Leslie Sansone (love her) DVDs, and a few others. Help me out ladies! Thanks in advance. :smile:

Replies

• buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love leslie sansone and I use her all of the time. I usually put her workouts as low impact aerobics. Its still alot of calories burned no matter what. Hope this helps
  • amcleoud
    amcleoud Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate you being the first and only to answer my question.
  • saanaismom
    saanaismom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I invested in a heart rate monitor which tells me exactly what I burn doing any exercise. I've actually had mine for many years - paid $100 for it probably 8 years ago and have changed the battery 3 times (not that I've been using it for all 8 years). Anyways, all that to say I find it to be a great tool.
  • EniBee
    EniBee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I read an article on how to approximately calculate the calories you burn during excercise, without a heart monitor.

3.267 calories are burnt per pound every hour.
    Multiply this by your weight in pounds (not kilograms) and you will get how many calories you burn (on average) per hour.
    If you are doing a 30 minute workout, then divide the results by 2 to get the amount of calories.

So, if you weigh 200 lb and excercise for 30 minute, the equation will be:

(3.267*200)/2 = 326.7 calories!

In MFP, log the excercise under Circuit Training General, and compare with how many calories MFP says that you have burnt. If it is wildly different, I just override MFP's number.

I hope this helps.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. I read an article on how to approximately calculate the calories you burn during excercise, without a heart monitor.

3.267 calories are burnt per pound every hour.
    Multiply this by your weight in pounds (not kilograms) and you will get how many calories you burn (on average) per hour.
    If you are doing a 30 minute workout, then divide the results by 2 to get the amount of calories.

So, if you weigh 200 lb and excercise for 30 minute, the equation will be:

(3.267*200)/2 = 326.7 calories!

In MFP, log the excercise under Circuit Training General, and compare with how many calories MFP says that you have burnt. If it is wildly different, I just override MFP's number.

I hope this helps.
    This is awesome information! Thanks for sharing!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    If you want to make the calculation easier (I don't always exercise for exactly 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes), you can just divide the 3.267 calories burned/pound/hour by 60:
    3.267 / 60 = 0.05445 calories burned pound PER MINUTE

So if you're exercising for 40 minutes and you weigh 200lbs, you would calculate your activity:
    (0.5445 x 200) x 40 = 435.6 calories!
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor....
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor....

^^^ this!!! Best investment ever!!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the HRM, love mine.
  • TeamAliyah
    TeamAliyah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!
  • jiglee
    jiglee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That was very helpful. I was having the same problem with figuring out Shaun T's videos calorie burn.
  • jiglee
    jiglee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks, I like that
  • healthysista66
    Options
    I see I need to invest in an HRM.
  • Ternicia
    Ternicia Posts: 9
    Options
    Yup - Heart Rate Monitor is the way to go. I purchased a polar ft4f watch on eBay. I was SURE that I was burning about 500+ calories with the Black Girls Workout Too DVD. Turns out, I burn about 250.