Places to Eat

Options
If you have any good recommendations for places to eat at... post them here... restaurants? food trucks? food events? etc.

Replies

• fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    We just tried The Egg and I and they have some light selections. I had an enjoyable breakfast.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't get out to eat much. I find the best place for me to eat is my kitchen. I have control in what I buy and how I cook my food. Although I don't do much of the cooking, my husband does, he knows my diet and what I should eat and not eat. In the past I suffer from gal bladder attacks, so I eat high fiber and low fat foods. Every now and then I can splurge on ice cream and chili cheese burgers at my own risk.
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    Wow a burger sounds good right about now... but I can only eat it with out the buns.

Ah, the Egg and I... they used to have a cinnamon roll latte there that was awesome, but they stopped selling it. Plus, I can't have that anymore either.

It's really hard to go out to eat and find good food that meets individual diets, I agree at home is the best place to make meals and if you can plan ahead you're good to go.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Options
    That is how I eat my burgers these days, bunless. The bread makes you twice as full than just the patty cheese and toppings.

Yesterday night I made spaghetti, looking for the sauce in the cabinet I came to find out I forgot to buy some. Plan B went into effect, homemade spaghetti sauce. Luckily, by surprise I had all the ingredients...tomato sauce, tomato paste, a little sugar, rosemary, garlic cloves, onions, olive oil and permansean cheese. I really should not been surprise my husband usually has all the cabinets spiced up. The more shocking surprise is that the sauce was delicious...my husband and kids all wanted second serving. I took a pic of my sauce, I just can't or don't know how to upload yet.
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    Yep I know what you mean. Are there any hidden gems I should check out, since I am new here and all...?
  • Kittyvicious1
    Options
    Gems such as places to eat or gyms to workout??? Been in the valley 8years and tons of Mexican cuisines, not good for the dieter. Of course the usual Road House, Chili's, nothing special I have found. I'm sure there is, I don't get out much...limited budget with kids and all.
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    Well hopefully we'll be able to start exploring soon and once I find some good places, I'll let y'all know.

PS. yes gems... :)
  • oreyna
    oreyna Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lone Star BBQ on N. 10th St. in McAllen is really good. Margaritas Mexican Restaurant in Pharr on the corner of 281 and Cage is really good.
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    I'll have to check out Margaritas Mexican Restaurant .... thanks.
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    Has anyone been to El Divino?
    http://www.eldivinorgv.com/
  • BigShotRobTX
    Options
    Well my wife and I had date night at El Divino and overall... we had a great experience. We got great service, the food was good overall (my wife got a fish dish that she didn't really like the sweet sauce they put all over it), the shrimp ceviche was good, my rack of lamb was good, drinks were strong (better be for the price), dessert was great, and live music was good as well. It's a nice small, intimate place... We'll be going back.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    We've lived in the valley for 8 years now. I've found that there are very few places where you can easily stay on your diet if you're watching calories. Once in a great while, I'll go to a Mexican restaurant that had caldo de pollo or caldo de rez and this is a decent choice. For fast food, I go once in a while to Subway. Steakhouses aren't too bad if you make good choices.

If you're wanting a splurge or a cheat meal--anywhere will do. Unhealthy food is everywhere down here.