Olympic weightlifting shoes

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
So I finally am ready to spring for these. I went to the Reebok Fithub store near me and tried on two different kinds, the regular CF Oly and the Oly Plus. The only noticable difference for me was the Oly has one strap, the Plus had two.

I tried on 11.5 and 12 and normally wear an 11.5. Both are very snug across the lower top of my foot (right where my toes begin) because I have wide feet. I was told they did not make the lifting shoes in a wide model.

I might spring for the 12s they were a better fit though still snug. They are leather so I'm sure they will stretch a bit. I'm also aware that they are supposed to be a bit tight.

Any ideas or does someone else make an EE lifting shoe?

Replies

• MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I've have the same issue and went with the Oly a 1/2 size up from my normal shoe size. My trainers (*and fellow CFer's) told me that since I'm not running in them, I could just tighten the laces and the single strap a little more and have no issues.

**I've been using my Oly's for 3+ months now & love the results and am defintely glad I went with a larger size - for the comfort factor :-)
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia so I'm guessing our options here are different to yours. I use Do-win oly lifting shoes and actually ended up getting a size smaller than what I usually wear. They are a touch more snug than I'd want them if I was going to walk/run in them, but given that they're just for lifting I prefer them to be a little firmer.
    I'd say go with whichever feels best. You want your feet to be held in firm but obviously without being uncomfortable, and yes you can always tighten the strap and laces. Do some air squats in both sizes and see which one holds your feet in better...
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Bought the Inov-8 Fastlift 355, as it was available in wide sizes. Will let everyone know how it performs.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have the Fastlifts and Love them! I can do most WODs in them as well. Enjoy!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just bought inov-8 Fastlifts as well. They should be here next week! Can't wait. I waited to long to get lifting shoes!!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Mine should arrive tomorrow and I will be heading right to the gym to try them out.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Still haven't arrived. The last-mile shipper has not yet received them from Amazon. Calling them now to see what is up.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine from Amazon, too, and they came in last night. I will be trying them out tonight!! I wore them around the house today to break them in. They are a bit stiff, but nothing too bad.

(I had a month trial of Amazon prime, so on a '2-day delivery' with the weather we've had, I got them in 4 days.)
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Supposed to arrive today, they are on the truck!
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Lil update on my shoes-

So far Ive done again most WODs in them excluding running.

Last night we did a wod which can only be described as "squats from hell workout". then did a 10 min amrap of 3 or 5 Pistol(one legged squats) then 20 double unders.
    Was able to do everything including the double unders, though i will caution if you like to keep you feet close together for the jumprope, its easy to step on yourself the way the heel is designed.

The shoes also help me with Rowing with the added stability.

Interested to see what you all think about the shoes.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    They have been delivered. I will pick them up after work and do tonight's WOD in them and see how it goes.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    They definitely make a difference on the Oly lifts. Much better stability when you drop into squat cleans, etc.

I've been told you have to re-learn how to squat in them though.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    They definitely make a difference on the Oly lifts. Much better stability when you drop into squat cleans, etc.

I've been told you have to re-learn how to squat in them though.

Don't know that I agree with that, but I guess it depends on each person. I found a huge improvement in the stability and depth of my squats the first time I used them and now I'm just used to it. It is a little weird having the raised heel, but again just a matter of getting used to how they feel.
    I definitely feel more stable in the power lifts like cleans and snatches. Well worth the investment if you ask me!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^I've only used them twice and I quickly noticed how much more stable you are, especially in squat cleans. There were a few times where I'd thought I'd overbalanced and was going to fall backwards only to realize the shoes were keeping me more stable than I was used to.