Goal 1: Under 100kg (220lb) (tick)

Options
bigldesigns
bigldesigns Posts: 102 Member
This is my first post... But I just had to share my excitement.

I was diag with MS in June this year.. after years and years of doctors telling my I am a Hypo.
Finally after going numb (not really the right word, as i could still feel everything)/unresponsive on the right side of my body they decided to do an MRI and found out I have Swiss cheese in my head.
(No one was actually willing to tell me how many different lesions they can see)

I'm 38 years old, 5' 3" tall and weighed in at 118kg (260lb) at the emergency room.. on the 3rd June 2013
At that moment I decided it was time to set some personal goals.

Goal 1. Get my weight Under 100kgs(220lb)

I can proudly say I weighed in this morning at 99.5kg (218lb)

I enlisted the help of a Naturopath who help me establish an eating and supplement plan.
and in the last few weeks I have started exercising - about 10 - 20 min a day (4 days a week)

I started on Copaxone 8 weeks ago.. and I am finding that the more I exercise in the morning, the less the needle stings and welts in the evening

So today I start working towards goal 2!
Goal 2. Get my weight Under 80kgs(175lb)

I'm going to get my self fit so that I have the strongest chance of fighting this condition for as long as possible!

Thanx for listening :)

*end excited rant*

Allie

Replies

• hartland45
    hartland45 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on achieving your first goal. I've had MS for over 30 years with many ups and downs. But, since starting on Tysabri everything has been much more stable. I've been losing weight slowly, deliberately, but also have been slacking for the last month, in the face of too many birthday meals, theatre outings, visits to sons etc, and now have Christmas and all the meals that entails. I'm concentrating on not gaining the weight I have lost so far! Like you I was very pleased to get below 100kg, not having been there for years. But I have a lot to lose still, and need to get back on track.

My next goal is to be around 85 by May 15th, so I shall have to be much stricter. I will try to keep my food diary up to date again. I was much more regular in my early days on mfp. MUST IMPROVE!! Exercising is really hard, as I find it difficult to stand up for long - harder than walking in fact, so there is probably a lesson there.

I've only just seen your post - as I hadn't been on the sight since early November. I wonder how you're getting on.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is amazing!!! I jut started back up on MFP and one thought that keeps me going is I want to exercise while I still can, especially when it makes you feel so good! Keep up the good work!
  • bogo_baby
    bogo_baby Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing achievement!!! Way to go! Stick with it and you can reach your next one :)

I also noticed that on weeks when I worked out my needles didn't sting as much. :)
  • 8467Keeley
    8467Keeley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congradulations! i am on copaxone and have had Ms for a few years now. I have found that I need more vitamins when I excercise so you may want to ask your neuropath to make sure. My vitamin D drops dramatically when I excercise. When I keep the D up I lose between 1-2.5 lbs a week depending on how I eat and how often I excercise. I support you in your new goal. Good luck. :):wink:
  • bigldesigns
    Options
    Thanx everyone.

I'm doing well.. I've been away for the last month (went to visit my Parents in a town 1000km away)

I'm currently 96.5kg (212lb)... its a only a little bit less than the 220lb I was 8 weeks ago.. but with all the traveling and festive meals.. its better than the other direction.

I've not been able to exercise while I was away either so I can agree with bogo_baby - my needle has been stinging quite a bit since I have not been exercising. Looking forward to getting back into routine tomorrow and back on MFP in full..

8467Keeley.. I have started taking 5000ui Vit D this in the last few weeks (was on 2000ui before) I get a blood test every month to check it

I've also started on VitB12 shots (ouch) last month as well..

On a NSV... when my mother was down the street the other day.. like a little girl I snuck into her room and tried on her Jeans..
    In June last year I was wearing Size 22... My mum's Jeans are size 16 (and fresh out of the clothes dryer) And the fitted and zipped up with out needing to lie down!!!

Almost time to go clothes shopping :)

Allie
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic job!
    And I think it's pretty impressive that you managed to lose 8 lbs over the holidays; I gained about 5 so good work! :)
  • bigldesigns
    Options
    Hey everyone.. I have more updates for you :)

#1 - On Australia Day ( Jan 26th) I completed the MS Australia Colour Dash ( its like The Color Run / Color Me RAD)
    I completed the 5km in 60min - got absolutely covered in colour dust and had a really great time in the event.. and still had the stamina afterwards to hang out in the city with friends and enjoy the rest of my day.

It amazes me to think that 8 months prior I could not walk unsupported(or for more than 10 min) and now.. i have the energy to walk at a modest pace for at least hour and then still have reserves for the rest of the day (adrenalin helped of course)

#2 - On the 9th Feb.. I weighted in at 90.7kg which is 199.5lb!!!!!!! I was finally under the 200lb mark.. that means I had lost 60lb so far!!!!!

Pics at the bottom of the message are before at 118kg (260lb) and on the MS Colour Walk... just off 200lb (90kg)

#3 I under took my Evoke potential Tests (eyes, hands and feet) 3 weeks ago and got the results last week.
    They all came back.. Normal for a Normal Person.. In other words.. there was no detectiable Nerve damage between my Eyes/Hands/Feet and my brain.... So this tells me.. what every I am doing is working :)

#4 Last lot of Blood tests I did last week.. came back with All of the usual Inflammatory markers showing within Normal Range:

- Vit D @ 92 , (recommend is over 70)
    - Vit B12 holding strong (without monthly injection)
    - FBC everything in Normal range,
    - Feritin within Normal range

#5 Neuro does not want to see me for 6 months and GP for 3 months

#6 My Depression is reducing and I am craving social interaction.. for someone who has not left the house in 5 years, it was a daunting thought.. So.. I headed to some MS Information sessions and met some others with MS.. and Logged onto an online Dating site and have been chatting to a few potential Mr Rights :) Its a bit Late for Valentines Day.. but its a good start to pull me out of my recluse life!

Thanx for listening :)

Allie

17498592_6580.jpg
    17498592_9329.jpg
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile! Way to go on all fronts!
  • mapgeek
    mapgeek Posts: 5
    Options
    Congradulations! i am on copaxone and have had Ms for a few years now. I have found that I need more vitamins when I excercise so you may want to ask your neuropath to make sure. My vitamin D drops dramatically when I excercise. When I keep the D up I lose between 1-2.5 lbs a week depending on how I eat and how often I excercise. I support you in your new goal. Good luck. :):wink:
    Huh... That's an interesting observation about the Vitamin D. Mine is low and they put me on 50000IU / week Plus 3000 / day to get it back up. Hoping that will help.
  • mapgeek
    mapgeek Posts: 5
    Options
    Awesome Allie!
  • bigldesigns
    Options
    Huh... That's an interesting observation about the Vitamin D. Mine is low and they put me on 50000IU / week Plus 3000 / day to get it back up. Hoping that will help.

I'm now taking 5000Ui per day... Latest Blood test showed my VitD levels at 110... So in a much better range :)

But My Vit B6 was at 570 ("normal" range 35 - 110)... it turns out there was 60mg VitB in my Magnesium Supplement which i was taking twice a day.. so I have switched that to another brand with no VitB6 and stopped eating store bought breakfast cereals

VitB6 is one to watch out for.. if its too high it causes neurological symptoms like pins and needles, fatigue, brain fog, headaches, weakness.... oh wait.. these all sound familiar... i just wrote off feeling crap the last few weeks to my MS.. but it may have just been the VitB I was overdosing myself on.. its been a week since I stopped and things feel a little better already

Other blood tests shows

Cholesterol still in healthy range.. (loving Bacon and Eggs 2 - 3 times a week )
    B12 Still strong
    Iron Normal
    Ferritin High Normal.. but close enough
    Liver function a little high (that is explained by the VitB Toxicity, so should be back to normal next month )

I'm currently at 84kg (184lb) so close to my 2nd goal of 80kg (175lb) that I can taste it :)
  • bigldesigns
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Just a quick update top let you know that I weighed in at 80.0 KG (176lb) this morning ... and I'm calling it Goal 2 reached!!!!!

That is a total weight loss of 38kg (83.6lb) in the last 54 weeks!!

There is a current Pic in my profile!!

It means my BMI has gone from 45 (Obese Class 2) to 30 (overweight) and my clothing has gone from Size 22 to Size 12
    I'll have to get the tape measure out at some stage so I can give you some cm/inches lost figure. (but believe me.. its a heck of a lot!!!!!)

My MS seems to be in check.. other than the Fatigue I really do feel like a normal person.
    I have my 6 monthly checkup at the Neuro in August.. but they have not requested any repeat tests.. so it will just be a meet and greet..

Copaxone is still going well.. occasional minor skin reaction.. but settles in 20 - 30 min

VitD levels are climbing.. i'm now taking 5000ui daily

My VitB6 levels are now back in normal range...

Goal 3 is 65Kg (143lb) which will put me into a healthy BMI range (25).. but I am scared to think what size clothes I will have to buy.. Thank goodness for Kmart and their $8 Jeans and $3 tee shirts (and the thrift / op shops for their lovely recycled clothing)

Hope you are all doing well out there!!!

Allie
  • bigldesigns
    Options
    Hey Everyone in here!!

Here is an Update on my weightloss etc

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10094498/off-the-meds-inc-lots-of-pics

Hope you are all well!

Allie