Having Trouble Not Drinking With Meals

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 2.5 weeks post op and it is SO hard for me to not drink with my meals. I just feel thirsty! Any way to combat this or is it just a habit I need to get into?

Replies

• teachren
    Options
    Congrats on the surgery...

I would suggest it's just a habit you have to break. If you didn't get yourself into the habit before your surgery it's just going to be a little more difficult. Make sure you are getting in at least a cup of liquids 1/2 hour prior to eating and hopefully you won't feel the urge to drink.

My surgeon's plan was pretty intense. I was still on full liquids at your point...so after week 3 I was into the purees but couldn't have very much.

You want to break the habit now because as you progress through your months and are actually getting most of your protein from food not shakes you want the food to stay in your stomach as long as possible to keep you feeling full.

I am 7 months out in a week and recently I have loosened up on not drinking within 1/2 hour of eating. I often have a glass of water while I am cooking dinner so I am not munching on anything. But when I am ready to start dinner...no water until about 1/2 hour to an hour after.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I agree with teachren; at 2.5 weeks my diet was liquid so eating was drinking. First two weeks were clears and next two were pureed progressing to real soft foods like egg. Most of your protein is most likely coming from shakes. I would reccomend practcing by stopping all liquid intake for 30 minutes before a "meal" and waiting for 30 minutes after. It takes 21 days to form a habit - stay patient.
  • jeepermom
    jeepermom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I, too, have trouble with this. My plan moving forward...not have a drink available. I will not set a glass for myself at the table and I will not order a drink if we ever go out.

I am a year and 3 months post op and I can drink liquids right up until I start eating per my doc...but definitely break the habit now. Because I am struggling with it now and it would have been easier to have kept the habit right after surgery.

Good luck!
  • dsagel
    dsagel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It has been for me one of the hardest things to deal with. I am always thirsty so am drinking regularly but I always, always drank with meals before. It is a really hard habit to break, however, I learned a lesson not long after I started on pureed food. I had my water beside me and took a big gulp right after I ate. Didn't even think about it. The pain was so strong I thought I had burst something! Certainly made me more aware since then. I tend to even leave the water bottle on the counter rather than on the table just in case I drink without thinking.

It will become less of an issue as you get further out but I somehow think this is one of those things that just never go away!

Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you eat several ounces of chicken breast and immediately take a big gulp of liquid, you'll never want to do it again!

This is just a habit you need to cultivate. Like others, I can drink up until I start eating, but even 2+ years out, I still don't drink with meals or for 45 minutes to an hour afterwards. There are times when I'd like to drink with my meal (spicy foods!) but it can be very uncomfortable if your sleeve is full of dense food, and it washes the food through faster, which defeats the purpose of having a sleeve at all.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have some sips if the food is too dry but otherwise I do not drink during the meal. My food is always portioned now. There is NO food until the next meal after the portion is gone.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I do refrain from drinking any major amount 30 minutes before and after my meals, but with the blessing of my dietician and my doc, I do take an occasional sip with my meal, especially when eating meat. It helps it go down easier. And when I say sip, I mean sip, just a minute amount enough to aid my swallowing. And probably only about 3-4 sips per meal. I haven't experienced any difficulties with this.
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It is a very hard habit to break but like everyone said its one you will het used to. At 16 months out I still don't usually have anything to drink beside me just to avoid the temptation... Congrats on your surgery and good luck!!!
  • Flacuchenta2B
    Flacuchenta2B Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great advice! I will definitely start practicing to separate my drinking of tea or water from my meals. I know that we are not supposed to use straws for sipping to avoid air bubbles, but I got to thinking after reading the post above about accidently gulping a big sip of water and how painful it was... When we do drink our water outside of mealtime, would sippy cups (like for toddlers) help prevent gulping?
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yes - sippy cups really do help. I use the coffee cups with the sip top. Straws are a no-no as is the "nipple top" bottle.