Advice and support for new starters?

Options
charissh
charissh Posts: 91 Member
I just wondered if any of the more mature MFPers wanted to share any helpful hints and tips to anyone who is starting on their journey?

After almost a year on MFP I would say...

- Watch out for weekends! While it's nice to have a treat, don't undo your hard work

- You don't have to start out doing things like Insanity if you're not very fit, doing low impact activities like swimming and walking help loads

- Don't feel bad if the weight loss slows after a few weeks, keep up the good work

-Remember this phrase - 'It doesn't matter how long it will take, because the time will pass anyway'

- Some people may criticize your decision to diet, and a lot of the time it comes from a place of people's own insecurity, it has nothing to do with your own actions, so keep your head up and keep smiling

- You'll have some great days on this journey, but you might also have some down days too. Remember- 'I'm not going to tell you it'll be easy, I'm going to tell you it's going to be worth it!'

Good Luck!!! x

Replies

• IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Exactly :)
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    be strong at work - very few people at work will understand what you are trying to achieve and there is an implied level of peer pressure to eat all the food (rarely healthy) that they bring in. Learn to say no otherwise this will derail you. And right now, my manager is walking around with cake - I don't want it and I certainly don't need it!
  • danrough
    danrough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It's useful to hear your's and other's advice. While not a mature MFPer, I'd like to add one. Be open with everyone, family, friends and colleagues alike. Their support and understanding is important too.
  • SophieRoll
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I joined MFP a few years ago but was never motivated enough to diet properly. Now I'm ready to get my *kitten* into gear and get slim!

I've not joined a group before, I'm hoping it will help me stay more focused.

Feel free to add me :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if any of the more mature MFPers wanted to share any helpful hints and tips to anyone who is starting on their journey?

From my perspective, find something other than weight loss to base progress on. If you're doing phys of some kind then measure improvements there, or use a tape measure rather than the scales as the more important measures.

Avoid fixating on the day to day calorie intake, smooth out over a week.

Fuel your training

If you're training, listen to your body. If you end up injured you're training will stall, so don't get injured.

Changes need to be sustainable. How are you going to fit things into your life, is a "brand name" diet actually going to be achievable for you? If you see an end date to the "diet" then it's unlikely to be sustainable.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As a returner I think it's important to remember - - One bad day, one slip up, in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter! It sucks but learn from it and move on from it.
    dwell on it and you find yourself returning months later and lbs heavier... :/
    x