Protein Powder

Options
Lisa_Rhodes
Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
Hello all! Hope all is well with everyone :smile:

I'm having trouble getting enough protein (usually not the case, but since going maintenance, it's been harder to hit) and I'm getting tired of having the same stuff like eggs, pork, chicken, peanuts, etc. Especially pork. It's like any pork chop we cook and season I can't stand it. Anywho, I'm double checking w/ my Dr tomorrow about taking protein powder, but I wanted to know if there are any brands y'all recommend or any ingredients to stay away from?

Replies

• Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • _DoingMe_
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer, but would love to hear what other ladies may have to say.
  • Jem411
    Jem411 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I drink an EAS Shake (they are pre-made and awesome) every morning to get my protein in. If I don't have protein first thing, my sugar levels get all funky. I also like to have a Quest bar from time to time. I shoot for around 150 g of protein each day (to hit my Macros) and my Doctor is totally on board! I was eating way too many carbs in the beginning and had to play around with my macros to get the best results for my energy levels. Baby is gaining weight perfectly and I feel fantastic!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    Sooo what I need. I was doing low carb for a while before the pregnancy and it's been harder to stick with bc all I want are comfort foods! Thanks a lot! :happy:
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Hi Lisa!!

I am loving Quest Bars at the moment, great yummy snack and doesn't have all the nasties the usual ones do - i get mine from iHerb, and a whooping 21g of protein per bar

I also have Plantfusion protein powder, i'm not a massive fan of shakes so i usually add my powder to my overnight oats :) Plantfusion is all natural ingredients and preggo safe!
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Hi! We have Sun Warrior protein powder at home, it's raw. Not sure how much difference that makes but it nice. You inspired me to go back to having some more of it, I kind of let go of focusing on protein/ low carb...
  • kristinc06837
    kristinc06837 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use a raw fusion vegan protien powder hemp/pea protein it's not too bad
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    IDK if I could stomach one every day. I've found beef jerky works with me.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been using a shake from (Premier http://www.premierprotein.com) it has 30grams, prior to being pregnant I had a lot of protein options but the main thing that my Dx mentioned not being conclusive in data on fetus and pregnancy was L-Glutamine, and any Green Coffee extract which some of my powered shakes had so I have some using those. I mainly focus on greek yogurt and lean meats, and any protein shakes without the amino acid profiles included. Feel free to add me I am looking for motivation during this pregnancy to not gain too much!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    be careful with protein during pregnancy. my midwives warned me that eating a lot of protein will likely result in a really big baby. of course, if you aren't getting enough protein though, then by all means, supplement. :) before pregnancy, my goal was about 120g of protein a day. during my nutritional counseling at the birthing center, they said anywhere from 60-80g per day was what i should be aiming for.

the protein powder i like is called trutein. you can get lots of tasty flavors! i personally love the chocolate one. i mainly use the vanilla one though, it's a bit more neutral than the chocolate and i find it's easier to incorporate into things, like baked goods. otherwise, i'd usually just mix it in with smoothies that i'd make with greek yogurt (also lots of protein). if you like it, cottage cheese has a good amount of protein as well. i like to eat it with melon cubes for a snack at work in the morning.