Goals

Options
jenabee610
jenabee610 Posts: 29 Member
I thought it might be cool to share some of our goals with each other. I read somewhere that you should set both short and long term goals and that you should follow SMART when you think about them.
S: Specific
M: Measurable
A: Attainable
R: Realistic
T: Time bound

So here goes....

Short term goals:
Work out for at least 30 minutes 5x a week.
Track my food in the food diary every day.
Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
Lose 1-2 # per week.

Midrange goal:
Lose 20# by the end of the 90 day challenge.

Long term goal:
Lose 50# by the end of August.

What do you think? Do you think these sound SMART? Let me know your thoughts. I have a bad habit of making unrealistic goals and having unrealistic expectations.

Replies

• AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Oh, I like this!

Short term goals:
    - Drink 2L of water (with lemon) per day
    - Continue food tracking
    - Continue to lose (doesn't matter how much, just lose) every week
    - Do 20-30 mins of 'extra' movement a day (I'm a teacher, so I do about 12,000 steps a day)

Mid-range goals:
    - Lose 15-20kg by end of 90 day challenge (I'm already at 5.5kg)
    - Be able to do 20 minutes of pilates without stopping.
    - Start strength training.

Long term goals:
    - Be within the 'overweight' instead of 'obese' weight range by August. (Averages out to about 1kg per week)
    - Be able to run/jog 5km non-stop.
    - Be able to do 40 mins of pilates without stopping.

End of year goals
    - Be at the (upper) healthy weight range.
    - Be able to fit into AU size 12-14 clothes.

I think yours are SMART. Are you already exercising?
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    OK here are my S.M.A.R.T. goals...feel free to comment:

Short term goals (To do weekly throughout January and hopefully thereafter…)
    GOAL: A minimum of 10 minutes of activity on SUNDAYS. (Right now, I am in the habit of “moving” only when there’s “equipment” available..at the gym or at the work gym..so usually I get some exercise in on Saturday because that's my "YMCA day" but NOTHING on Sundays. I’d like to at least force myself to take a brisk walk and start to establish a better habit of being less sedentary in general. I can always later focus on getting this to a longer amount but I really just want to get rid of any days in my week that I spend entirely sitting on my tuchas.)
    GOAL: Continue with Tuesday activity. (I have schedule of 4 10 hour workdays and Tuesday is my day off. Last week I went to the gym, took my 8 year old and had him go on walking track while I did my machines. Want to continue with that..)

Midrange goal (by end of June)
    Get to 4 glasses of water a day (I don’t hate water or anything. I just don’t drink a lot of liquids…ANY liquid. I typically drink 1 cup of morning coffee, 1 bottled water and that’s my DAY. I realize this is not good but I also think it would be horribly unrealistic to think I’ll go from this to my 8 a day right away.)

Long term goal: (by 12/31):
    Be at 49 lbs to go (or less) for my ultimate weight loss goal.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    In response to Jenabee's goals:
    So here goes....
    My critiques are scattered within...make of them what you will:
    Short term goals:
    Work out for at least 30 minutes 5x a week.
    This is probably a great goal. If you have a gym at work, it's also VERY doable. Currently I spend my 2 15 minute breaks and part of the end of my 30 minute lunch in the gym. As long as you do stuff that won't make you sweat like a pig :laugh: and your co-workers hate you for the stench (I.e. ellipticals, walking not running on treadmill, cycling, lifting) you can easily get in the 30 minutes a day 5 days a week.
    Track my food in the food diary every day.
    I think this MIGHT be attainable if you're a Nazi about tracking but it's a little unrealistic UNLESS you've already been doing this for awhile and it's a habit. Otherwise, you're likely to "forget" to track here and there and if you're the type of person that beats yourself for any little shortfall and throws in the towel, this could make you decide to give up. (I'm not saying you're like this...but I know *I* am. You are the one who knows your inner life best.) If you think the occasional miss would make you obsess about your "failure" then it might be better to make your GOAL be to track in your diary 16 out of the 30 days each month. Going from not tracking at all...to tracking more than half...is a HUGE improvement. You're also likely to attain and have that boost at month's end of saying "I did THAT...now I'm gonna ramp it up a bit for February!"
    Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    Again, not realistic unless you're ALREADY doing this. I would say a goal of 150% of whatever amount you're drinking now is much more attainable/realistic. (I.e. if you drink 4 glasses, go to 6...if you drink 2 go to 4.)
    Lose 1-2 # per week.
    This one makes me happy. :smile: It takes a while to put it on and taking it off slowly really does seem to be the best...based on my experience...and the folks on this site who are success stories. This one is fine as is I believe.
    Midrange goal:
    Lose 20# by the end of the 90 day challenge.
    12 weeks * 2 lb a week = 24 pounds. Yeah, this is a good goal. It allows for a "rough" week here and there but encourages you to keep pushing for slow, steady droppage.
    Long term goal:
    Lose 50# by the end of August.
    32 weeks * 2 lbs = 64 pounds. Again, this seems doable. I also think it takes into account the idea that as you continue to lose it seemingly will require more "effort per pound". I have noticed now that I'm down about 20 pounds that it takes more effort on the same machines to get the same amount of calorie burn. I plan on countering this a bit with switching to new exercises here and there as I am able but I would expect you may find the same thing by the end of the 90 day challenge.

Good luck!
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    My reaction to Coolchick's goals:
    Short term goals:
    - Continue food tracking
    - Do 20-30 mins of 'extra' movement a day (I'm a teacher, so I do about 12,000 steps a day)
    These all seem realistic/attainable except perhaps the water. I'm in U.S. so I typically use "English" measurements so this equates to about 8 1/2 8 oz glasses of water a day UNLESS these are UK liters (a conversion calculator showed those are bigger for some reason) which equates to about 9 a day. Whether this is realistic for YOU depends on how much water you're drinking currently...
    Mid-range goals:
    Loss goal looks doable since you only have roughly 14kg to go and 12 weeks to do. I don't have any experience with pilates so I have no idea how "intense" it is but again I would say you have to look at "How long do I do it NOW without stopping?". If you can't currently do ANY..this would be less attainable than if you can currently do 5 or 10 minutes.
    Long term goals:
    - Be within the 'overweight' instead of 'obese' weight range by August. (Averages out to about 1kg per week)
    Again, these all look pretty doable assuming these are all to happen by August. Might I suggest for the 5K goal that when you hit the end of the 90 days you select a specific 5K race somewhere *and* pay the fee for it to register. I personally feel more "committed" that I "have to do it" once I've locked in a date for an event like that.
    End of year goals
    I don't understand women's clothing sizes so can't comment on last one. First one probably depends on how far that is away from where you are now. It is realistic/attainable if you can divide the amount of KG to do by 52 and it works out to between 1 and 1.5. If that number is higher than that, then I would say you might want to lower that bar a bit.

Go get 'em!
  • jenabee610
    Options
    Yes, I am already exercising. I have always been active, but overweight. My main problem is what I eat. Over the holidays I did fall off my normal exercise routine, but I've been getting back into it.

Thanks for sharing your goals too. I think it's good to have some in mind when trying to accomplish a task. So that's why I wanted to write mine down somewhere. I also feel more accountable to them when I write them down on such a public place.
  • jenabee610
    Options
    GBrady, thank you for sharing your thoughts. It really does help to hear another person's point of view and get you thinking about things. I like critiques because sometimes you can get stuck in your own mindset, so I appreciate it. I may need to tweak my goals a little. The water and exercise are usually things that I do often, so that might be cheating a little now that I think about it. I think they came to mind this time because the holidays have thrown me off my routine. Probably as i get going on the challenge my short term goals will adjust or I'll change them as I get into the habit of exercising and drinking my water again. My hydroflask is my best friend and you rarely see me without it. :)
  • jenabee610
    Options
    P.S. your goals sound great and SMART to me. I like the little steps that you are making. Keep it up!
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My goals:

Log Everyday....Everything!
    Stick to my MFP calorie allowance.
    Drink 8 - 8 oz glasses of water a day.
    Excercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day 5 X a week.
    Where my body bugg to measure calories burned for the 90 days.
    90 days = approximately 12 weeks.....Lose 12 pounds in those 90 days.

Don't set yourself up for failure....I can do each and everything as planned....but the weight loss is always slow for me. I don't want to say lose 25 pounds, even if that is what I would like...I will be realistic. If I do everything I am suppose to do and lose some weight, I will be happy, healthier and maybe fit back into some of my clothes that are sitting in my closet!
  • jenn7129
    jenn7129 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My Challenge Goals

Workout 6 days a week 45-60 minutes.
    Eat within my alloted calories.
    Drink 10 glasses of water a day.
    Lose 12 pounds during the challenge.
    Log everything that touches my lips into MFP.

Long Term Goals

Keep those 12 pounds OFF and lose 5 more.
    Continue eating healthy.
    Continue logging my food daily.
    Drink my 10 glasses of water.
    Keep working out 5-6 days a week.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Short term goals: Lose 9 lbs by the end of this Challenger
    exercise min 5 days but try to do some type of moveable activity on the other 2 days.
    drink 8 to 12 glasses of water a day
    only have a treat twice a week on Friday and Saturday if I was good Sun to Fri evening staying with in my calories an not cheating (like processed foods and sweets).
    Family to only have treats on weekends too.

Midrange goal: Lose the remainder of my weight by the summer time goal 130 to 134 (have to factor in muscle and measurements).
    exercise min 5 days but try to do some type of moveable activity on the other 2 days.
    only have a treat twice a week on Friday and Saturday if I was good Sun to Fri evening staying with in my calories an not cheating (like processed foods and sweets).

Long term goal: Maintence of weight or lose a few more and define tone body more for more muscle definition.
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE this idea!!!!!

Short term:
    Work out @ least 3xs per week
    Don't go over MF cals
    Lose @ least 1 lb per week
    Drink @ least 8 glasses of water per day
    Work out @ least 30 mins

Midterm:
    Lose 20-25 lbs by the end of the 90day challenge

Longterm:
    Lose 60-65 lbs
    Maintain my weight loss
    Be able to wear shorts and a bathing suit comfortably
    wear a size 10-12 US
  • mpadil11
    Options
    Great idea!

Short Term goals:
    Log EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth...I've cheated myself one too many times.
    Work out at least 4 times a week.

Midterm Goals:
    By the end of the challenge, lose at least 13 lbs. (ideally 20)
    Run a 10k

Long term:
    Main weight loss
    Tone with strength training
    Wear a t-shirt without a sweater covering my arms.
    BE HEALTHY!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My reaction to Coolchick's goals:
    Short term goals:
    - Continue food tracking
    These all seem realistic/attainable except perhaps the water. I'm in U.S. so I typically use "English" measurements so this equates to about 8 1/2 8 oz glasses of water a day UNLESS these are UK liters (a conversion calculator showed those are bigger for some reason) which equates to about 9 a day. Whether this is realistic for YOU depends on how much water you're drinking currently...
    Mid-range goals:
    Loss goal looks doable since you only have roughly 14kg to go and 12 weeks to do. I don't have any experience with pilates so I have no idea how "intense" it is but again I would say you have to look at "How long do I do it NOW without stopping?". If you can't currently do ANY..this would be less attainable than if you can currently do 5 or 10 minutes.
    Long term goals:
    Again, these all look pretty doable assuming these are all to happen by August. Might I suggest for the 5K goal that when you hit the end of the 90 days you select a specific 5K race somewhere *and* pay the fee for it to register. I personally feel more "committed" that I "have to do it" once I've locked in a date for an event like that.
    End of year goals
    I don't understand women's clothing sizes so can't comment on last one. First one probably depends on how far that is away from where you are now. It is realistic/attainable if you can divide the amount of KG to do by 52 and it works out to between 1 and 1.5. If that number is higher than that, then I would say you might want to lower that bar a bit.

Go get 'em!

Thanks heaps for the feedback!!! I'm currently drink 1.5L of water, but struggling with the last 500mL per day. I can do about half of the pilates DVD I use (oh, I remember when I could do it easily!) in terms of time, but can't finish all the reps. At the moment, I'm a size 20 so I'm looking to drop 6-8 sizes, and need to lose 0.9kg/week to get to my upper healthy weight range (11kg from my goal weight). I reckon I can do it, so long as I stay accountable! Thanks again.
  • morzolas
    morzolas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Short Term (Throughout the 90 Day Challenge)
    - make most of my beverages water/plain green tea
    - log everything accurately (if I start to slip here, it all goes downhill)
    - make an effort to sit down and plan meals so that bad meals don't just "fall onto my plate" (really just setting myself up for failure when I don't plan my meals and/or wait until I'm hungry to make food decisions)
    - lose 1 pound a week for a total loss of 12 pounds
    - be active every day to start an active lifestyle; I really want to get into hiking in parks, swimming at the beach, etc. I think walking for 30 minutes on my busy days and yoga/elliptical/Zumba/etc. on the others will give me a balanced approach to the "energy out" portion of the equation

Mid-Range (April through August)
    - continue to lose .5-1 pound a week (taking into account things like food holidays, more alcoholic consumption, etc.)
    - start a strength training routine
    - fit into my size smaller shorts and dress sitting in my closet
    - have better fitting clothes in general
    - get into enough shape to run 3 miles straight (5K) with my husband

Long Term (September through December)
    - continue to lose .5-1 pound a week (taking into account things like food holidays, more alcoholic consumption at parties, etc.)
    - fit into my "dream fall dress"
    - lose a total of 34 pounds for the year and be at my first "ideal weight" (been heavy since I was a teen, so I'm not sure where my "ultimate goal weight" is)
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Short Term goals: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    Log everything I eat.
    Don't go over MF calories
    Work out at least 4-5 times a week.
    Drink at least 64 oz. of water each day
    Research healthy eating habits and healthy foods/ Put into practice
    Plan my meals for each day
    Grocery shop on Saturday for the week

Midterm Goals: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    By the end of the challenge, lose between 15-20 lbs.
    Less pain in my knee

Long term: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    Maintain weight loss
    Able to wear stylish clothes
    Walk pain free
    By June- lose at least 50 pounds
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    Short Term goals: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    Log everything I eat.
    Don't go over MF calories
    Work out at least 4-5 times a week.
    Drink at least 64 oz. of water each day
    Research healthy eating habits and healthy foods/ Put into practice
    Plan my meals for each day
    Grocery shop on Saturday for the week

Midterm Goals: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    By the end of the challenge, lose between 15-20 lbs.
    Less pain in my knee

Long term: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
    Maintain weight loss
    Able to wear stylish clothes
    Walk pain free
    By June- lose at least 50 pounds

Biddie, I love this: Be obsessed with myself and my wellbeing by taking care of myself
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Alright here goes:

Short Term Goals:

* Log in my food and exercise everyday. This is my second time around on MFP so if anytime anyone doesn't see me on here, send me a message saying "WHERE ARE YOU?" LOL. I want to be on here every day.

*Commit to exercising 30 minutes 4-5x per week.

*Keep my calories under 1200 every day.

*Eat more protein and less fat. Protein keeps me moving.

Mid-Term Goals:

*By the mid point of 90 days, which if I'm correct would be February 17th, I would like to say I have lost 15 lbs by that time.

*I want to be able to look at food and be able to determine right then how much I can eat without over thinking it. I have a problem with portion control and eating too many times a day. A lot of times when my kids eat, I'm eating with them even though I'm not hungry. I'm a stay at home mom right now so it's easy to overeat a lot of days.

*I want "caring for myself" to be my addiction! I have two boys and a husband and they are more than certain always going to come first but I have never been one to put myself in that category with them. I always let myself slide backwards. I want to learn how to put myself first also.

Long Term Goals:

*By April 5th (the 90 day point) I would like to say I have lost at least 30 lbs, if not, I won't stress over it, any loss is good right?

*I want to be an inspiration for my husband as both of us need to get into shape.

*I want to be an example for my kids. Right now there metabolism is thru the roof but it won't always be like that. I want to help them (especially my 8 year old) and teach them about portion control, what's healthy, what's unhealthy, etc.

*At the end of 90 days I want to be able to run a 5K.

*I want to be able to exercise without even thinking about it or dreading it. I'm not an exerciser, I do love running but right now, it's freezing cold here in North Carolina in the mornings, so running isn't really an option until the weather warms back up to at least 40 something. LOL. I'll run in 30-40 degree weather, I can't do running when it's like 19 degrees outside.
  • boulevardMto180
    Options
    Alright here goes:

Short Term Goals:

* Log in my food and exercise everyday. This is my second time around on MFP so if anytime anyone doesn't see me on here, send me a message saying "WHERE ARE YOU?" LOL. I want to be on here every day.

*Commit to exercising 30 minutes 4-5x per week.

*Keep my calories under 1200 every day.

*Eat more protein and less fat. Protein keeps me moving.

Mid-Term Goals:

*By the mid point of 90 days, which if I'm correct would be February 17th, I would like to say I have lost 15 lbs by that time.

*I want to be able to look at food and be able to determine right then how much I can eat without over thinking it. I have a problem with portion control and eating too many times a day. A lot of times when my kids eat, I'm eating with them even though I'm not hungry. I'm a stay at home mom right now so it's easy to overeat a lot of days.

*I want "caring for myself" to be my addiction! I have two boys and a husband and they are more than certain always going to come first but I have never been one to put myself in that category with them. I always let myself slide backwards. I want to learn how to put myself first also.

Long Term Goals:

*By April 5th (the 90 day point) I would like to say I have lost at least 30 lbs, if not, I won't stress over it, any loss is good right?

*I want to be an inspiration for my husband as both of us need to get into shape.

*I want to be an example for my kids. Right now there metabolism is thru the roof but it won't always be like that. I want to help them (especially my 8 year old) and teach them about portion control, what's healthy, what's unhealthy, etc.

*At the end of 90 days I want to be able to run a 5K.

*I want to be able to exercise without even thinking about it or dreading it. I'm not an exerciser, I do love running but right now, it's freezing cold here in North Carolina in the mornings, so running isn't really an option until the weather warms back up to at least 40 something. LOL. I'll run in 30-40 degree weather, I can't do running when it's like 19 degrees outside.

I want to be a good example for my daughter as well. When I ate poorly so did she. It just isn't fair. It starts at home. So glad we have the motivation to do better for ourselves and our families.
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love lists and goals :)

Short term:
    *one sweetener per day
    *exercise for at least 20minutes every day
    *commit to a Jillian Michaels video daily
    *eat all my fruits and veggies
    *don't go over my mfp total by 200cals
    *keep logging!

Long term: