Medicine

Options
Hi, I'm Kimi! I referred myself to a therapist for anxiety about 10 months ago. I have irrational fears and conduct irrational situations in my head and then worry about them for hours/days even though everything is fine. I also dwell on tiny details so much that it causes me to have panic attacks sometimes. My therapist helped at the beginning, teaching me how to journal and breathe to stop thinking about whatever is bothering me. Since then I haven't made any progress, I still freak about even though nothing is wrong and then I can't stop myself from crying for hours. I can calm myself down for short periods of time but I'll eventually start up again. The only thing that has helped me during those times is reaching out to someone. My boyfriend has been amazing, he'll come over and just let me cry it out and I find that when he's around I calm down very quickly maybe knowing that I'm safe and cared for at the moment. I just switched health insurance plans and I was thinking about looking for a new therapist or a psychiatrist. My dad and brother are both on Zoloft and I think I would benefit from some kind of medication. I want to continue with therapy but add medicine as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for anxiety meds? What are your thoughts on Zoloft or Lexipro?

Replies

• sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    i dont know specifically about those meds. but meds really helped me in conjunction w therapy. i find people help a lot too, & ive built a great network of friends. ive tried all the other distracting eg. games, reading, but people calm.me down straight away. im now at a point after three years where i am managing quite well now and recently without meds...but it has been quite a journey to get here! im sure you will be able to suceed in helping yourself get better too
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    also have your therapist teach you mindfulness-its great
  • kgeraci
    Options
    Thank you for your support! I will look into mindfulness. :)
  • BeastetteShaz
    BeastetteShaz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    theres a page that helped me alot its called www.beyondblue.org.au
    and a fact sheet https://www.bspg.com.au/dam/bsg/product?client=BEYONDBLUE&prodid=BL/0384&type=file

these pages helped me alot.
    Anxiety is a real hard thing to deal with as you know. therapy also helped me :)
  • Sky_Of_Aegis
    Options
    I DO NOT recommend Zoloft. I have been off conventional medicine for years now, and finally I seem to have a handle on my anxiety. My last therapy session, and last time taking medication was November of 2007 when I discharged from the U.S. Army. I have no problem with medicines that can help people, but Zoloft is a dangerous gamble. I just finished a post about what I have been doing besides my workout routine of course, to help me quail my anxiety. Don't get me wrong, it is still present from time to time, but I have it under much better control. I chose my path, and I have paid for it many times before I finally found something that worked for me. It's all trial and error. Only bad thing about medicine is a lot of times it can be something that will help for a little while, but as your body adjusts it needs larger amounts. My father is one of the very first people that was diagnosed with panic disorder, and lucky me I inherited it. He has been treated for it for most of my life, and now he is up to 12 adavan a day! Most people take one or two 1mg pills as needed, but over the last couple of decades, he has just grown more and more immune. He is also on Zoloft, which I can't tell you exactly why it is not the drug to take, but any of my nurse friends can! They begged me to never get on it if I had the choice. I remember being on it for a short time along with the lorazipam which is a generic adavan. They treated me with the same medicines that they did my father, and all it did to me was make me feel drunk, happy, and start puking up rainbows. They weren't rainbows really, but the medicine did in fact make me physically ill. I've been on seroquel and prozac, which was even worse. It turned me into a suicidal zombie, and I am definitely not the suicidal type. Point is, medicines are out there to help people, but I think people who understand what you are going through, and natural remedies are much more effective. I personally enjoy drinking Oolong tea and taking Garcinia cambogia supplements "both all natural, not pumped with chemicals or fillers." but if I am really feeling the pressure, I find a nice epsom salt and lavender/spearmint bubble bath also help me to take the edge off. If you have SIRIUS XM, I listen to the SPA channel "68 I think" a lot. It is very soothing and beautiful music most of the time, though sometimes they play stuff that I am not that into. At night, I drink chamomile tea with a bit of honey to help me relax, and recently I have been trying melatonin because I still suffer strongly from insomnia. One thing about tea "especially ones like oolong" is they are very high in caffeine so if caffeine is an issue for your anxiety like it used to be for me before I quit my other bad habits, than I would go for something like lavender or chamomile. Hell, even peppermint tea is good for relaxing with. If you need help, the community is very knowledgeable and I haven't personally seen a bad post yet. Stick around, and you may find something that works well for you!
  • kgeraci
    Options
    My therapist just put me on Effexor and it is FREAKING. ME. OUT! It's only been a few days but I get really nauseous, and extremely fatigued. It's hard to concentrate, my mind is so foggy. I've never been high but I imagine it's a lot like this! Not to mention some other not pleasant side effects. Ready to try something else!