How cold is too cold to run outside?

Options
Zekela
Zekela Posts: 634 Member
With the Arctic temps hitting the mid west and north east states of the US right now, I was just wondering your running tolerance. My tolerance level has gone down in the last 5 years. -15 degrees F for half a mile run. 15 degrees F for any run over that distance. What's yours?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    More about wind than temp. I was out in a -12 wind chill the other day and it wasn't *too* bad. It was also sunny which helps a lot. But I would rather have -15 air thsn -15 wind chill. Well really I'd rather have 50 :)
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I ran in 25 degree weather on Saturday and felt extremely hardcore. I probably wouldn't do much below that, though, as I don't seem to hate the treadmill as much as some...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Single digits are fine if there is no wind to speak of. Once we dip below zero for the windchill, I won't be heading outside. But I am an asthmatic, and though my asthma is quite tollerant of cold temps, it has no patience for wind.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Agree about the wind. For me the question about whether to run outside is directly related to what I am trying to accomplish with the run. If I have a tempo run, then it doesn't make sense to go outside and slip and slide all over the place while trying to maintain a pace. Most of my interval work is done a TM, because the local track of usually covered in snow. Long runs on the weekend can usually be done outside and I would go to pretty great lengths to avoid the TM for a run much over 8 miles, although sometimes ya just gotta do'. I guess if you have the right gear anything is possible. I have a gore tex face mask and plenty of cold weather technical clothes.
  • MSRunner23
    Options
    I did a marathon when it was 16F. It was cold, but wasn't terrible because the wind wasn't a factor. Having said that, give me 40F and sunny and I'm a happy guy.
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just got back from -12 degrees F and big time windchills.. Sweating but could not feel my fingers with two pairs of gloves on. My glasses frosted up when my breath hit the lenses. I ran fast but was not really into it because of the cold. Stay inside, hit the treadmill, watch sportscenter or game show network.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Haven't found it yet. I'll let you now tomorrow when it's supposed to be windchills in the negative teens...oh wait, tomorrow is a rest day. :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is going to depend upon if you have the right gear. With what I currently have in my closet I could run in the 20s; give me my Nike Element jacket and I could be out there in single digits. The hardest part for me is that first week or so getting my lungs used to breathing in such cold air.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    -25ish was as cold as I got.

32758085_2606.jpg
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Negative 20 degrees F here today (temp not wind chill) and I ran one mile outside. Even with a face mask I could feel the cold weather with every breath.

O degrees F was the temp off my first 10k last January and my first half marathon was about the same.

I can tolerate running most distances in 0 degrees F but prefer to limit most of my sub zero runs to one mile (for my winter run streak) and do the rest on the treadmill.

I commend people like Carson who did zero treadmill miles last year! I am just too chicken for long sub zero training runs outside.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It just doesn't get that cold around here too often (or that warm). The coldest I've run in the Pacific NW is 20 degrees. The coldest I've run in ever was 15 degrees, that was Colorado.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I did 1.5 miles outside as a warm-up for lifting. Truck said -24 on the way to work, thankfully the wind wasn't howling to bad at 5 am!!!! I had to laugh though because it took me 15 minutes to get dressed to go out and run for 10:laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've run down into the single digits. I'd run in colder if I really had to. I had hoped to start my half training today, but while I could run in these 0 or negative temps, I just don't see the need when I can wait 2 more days until its in the 20's again.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    <<
    IIRC it was about -25°C (-13°F) when this picture was taken and the coldest I've run in (that I'm aware of) is around -35°C

It's a matter of dressing appropriately. The only weather guaranteed to keep me indoors is freezing rain, typically I'll avoid running in a blizzard but that's more a case of being visible to motorists.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    For some, minus 38C (about the same in fahrenheit) is "too warm":

http://siberiantimes.com/other/others/news/siberian-man-runs-coldest-marathon-in-the-world-in-minus-38c/

Personally I'm going to see if +7F is too cold tomorrow...coldest I've done prior to that is the low teens. As others have said, if it's not windy, it's really not bad at all.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I HATE being cold. Even my husband has acknowledged that if he gets stationed In Alaska, he will go ALONE. :ohwell: :wink:

That bring said, it was 15 degrees today when I ran. It was tolerable. When we lived in Washington, I frequently ran in the negatives.

I would much rather run in rain!!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Saturday's 10K was 9F with a -8F windchill, which was okay except when the 22mph wind gusts were full on in my face. Was running in the dark because it was supposed to get colder out when the day when on, but then it didn't, so I might as well have waited until the sun came out.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I commend people like Carson who did zero treadmill miles last year! I am just too chicken for long sub zero training runs outside.

:)

420 days since my last treadmill run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

:)

420 days since my last treadmill run.

Wow. It's been 3 hours since my last treadmill run. The windchill is -54 though.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    OMG !! I feel like a wuss compared to you all. I would never consider running outside in any single digit temps let alone negative temps. You are all brave, I admire and commend you all !!

The coldest I have ran in is 35F, but I am also in Southern California so we don't get the frigid weather. I would have to move to the mountains to get anywhere close to the cold temps you all are dealing with.