New to this group

Options
Hi. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's (but think I have had it for a while) and am utterly confused about what to eat. No tofu? Yes tofu? No tomatoes or green peppers? No diet drinks? No coffee? I try to eat healthy anyway but I keep gaining weight. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Replies

• findingtracy
    findingtracy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't figured much out yet. Some of what I've read is avoid gluten and goitrogenic foods, because both lead to inflammation. But something else I've read said don't avoid goitrogenic foods because they are so good for you so eat them cooked and in moderation. It's frustrating trying to figure it out. Some folks strictly avoid soy and some avoid dairy. I know that's not terribly helpful. You are not alone.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I have read conflicting things too. Personally I have tried an elimination diet and found that I have other symptoms (joint pain - another ai disease) relieved by avoiding gluten, bloating and gas (sorry, tmi) relieved by avoiding milk, and my skin clears up when I avoid these too. It's not a strict boycott, if I'm on vacation I will eat it and I notice the difference. So I don't feel deprived.

With thyroid issues, Sometimes you feel like a hypochondriac, but I have developed so many issues related to thyroid and other autoimmune problems such as food sensitivities to well-loved foods that I realize it's all related.
    Find out what works for you. But keep up with blood work, doctor visits so you know what you're doing is helping and not hurting you.
  • asharkin
    asharkin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think it is different for everyone... there are certain foods that will make you miserable and if you avoid them you will feel better. Mine is dairy - when I eat it I am miserable. When I limit it I start feeling better. I saw this website posted on here and it explains a lot: http://www.thyroidlifestyle.com .
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting an AIP diet, if that helps any? It's VERY restrictive but only at first, to let your system sort of reset without any of the possible foods that cause allergies, then you slowly reintroduce things until you figure out what causes flair ups and what makes you feel bad so that you know what to avoid and what you can have. I've only been on it for a week and it's been pretty rough, but the plus side is that I eat plenty of protein via beef, chicken, and fish so I don't feel too deprived. I don't really crave a lot of the stuff that I thought I would. Just delicious breakfast biscuits and tacos with bacon, eggs, and cheese... mmmm. lol. That's it though. My skin is already showing changes even though my psoriasis is acting up. I think the worst part is how everyone sort of seems to be judging me for my being so strict on what I eat.

If you would like more info on the Auto Immune Paleo diet then check out the following:

http://thyroidbook.com/blog/autoimmune-gut-repair-diet/
    http://paleononpaleo.com/more-paleo/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/
    http://whole9life.com/2013/08/introducing-the-paleo-autoimmune-cookbook/
    http://paleononpaleo.com/more-paleo/paleo-autoimmune-protocol/

and paleo mom.

I hope I was able to help and please let me know what works and doesn't work for you! I am new with this too! (dignosed right before Thanksgiving). Good Luck! :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I dont restrict anything although I avoid soy when I can and try to eat whole wheat instead of processed. As long as my numbers are on track I lose weight at a fairly steady pace.
  • ccps61
    ccps61 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi. Thank you for your reply. I have read the exact same thing. Some of the things we should avoid (broccoli) we shouldn't avoid because they are so healthy for the the rest of our bodies. I am glad I am not alone!
  • ccps61
    ccps61 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for all your posts. I particularly appreciate the websites. I will check them out. ... I have found that refined grains don't work for me, but that's pretty much true for everyone these days. :)
  • michelleivelez
    michelleivelez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been eating pretty much anything but I have been losing weight slowly but surely. I've been exercising about 4 times a week and eating 6 smaller meals instead of 3 meals. It has helped. I don't really eat Soy but I do eat alot of Whole Wheat products.
  • linsev17
    linsev17 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I wad diagnosed at age 12 with hashimoto's and am now 27. I was always super active so I never really struggled with my weight until high school, which was probably partially the hashimotos and partially my eating habits, however I was never truly much over my ideal weight until recently. For the last 5 years I have been on a mission to get back down to my goal/normal weight. I am not sure what happened but I can't seem to lose anymore!

I am about 20 lbs from my goal weight :(

Just looking for encouragement and maybe some ideas!