Groceries

kinzieplatt
kinzieplatt Posts: 81 Member
Do most of you do your shopping at the commissary? I'm thinking about trying a new health food store but I'm concerned about the more expensive cost, does anyone know if health food stores are terribly expensive?

Replies

• coburngirl2
    coburngirl2 Posts: 87 Member
    we do the bulk of our shopping at Save-A-Lot and it's so much cheaper than shopping on post, and get our fruits and veggies from a local store. It all depends on where and what you are shopping for. Trader Joes was wonderful and I used to shop for the entire family there years ago but the nearest one to us is 60 miles away. Kroger stores and Fred Meyer (I can't remember where you live sorry) have a majority of the same foods as the healthier stores and were cheaper.
  • kinzieplatt
    we do the bulk of our shopping at Save-A-Lot and it's so much cheaper than shopping on post, and get our fruits and veggies from a local store. It all depends on where and what you are shopping for. Trader Joes was wonderful and I used to shop for the entire family there years ago but the nearest one to us is 60 miles away. Kroger stores and Fred Meyer (I can't remember where you live sorry) have a majority of the same foods as the healthier stores and were cheaper.

I'm in fort riley, kansas and it seems like the commissary here is the cheapest option :/ we only have walmart and dillions (kroger) here and they're both alot more expensive than the commissary plus we pay almost 10% tax off post! I know people here like to go to HYVEE but im not much for driving 30 minutes each direction to grocery shop. any money i save will be eaten away by my gas tank!
  • osteral
    osteral Posts: 41
    I live in the Fort Riley area too and we do most of our shopping at the commissary because it's cheaper. I do usually buy produce at Country Mart (Abilene) or the Dillons in Salina because the quality is much better. Since we live in Abilene I buy meats and staples at the commissary once or twice a month and even figuring in the gas to drive there it's still cheaper.
  • kinzieplatt
    I live in the Fort Riley area too and we do most of our shopping at the commissary because it's cheaper. I do usually buy produce at Country Mart (Abilene) or the Dillons in Salina because the quality is much better. Since we live in Abilene I buy meats and staples at the commissary once or twice a month and even figuring in the gas to drive there it's still cheaper.

I'm in junction city so that's kind of far for me. Hopefully by this summer I'll be hosting free fit clubs at the gyms on post if you'd wanna join!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    We don't shop at the Commissary because it's at least a half hour drive from where we live. Instead, we buy all of our meats from Costco and then get all our produce and anything else we may need from a local health food store. It seems to work out well for us since we can buy all the meat in bulk and freeze it, then buy the produce we need on a weekly basis.
  • kinzieplatt
    We don't shop at the Commissary because it's at least a half hour drive from where we live. Instead, we buy all of our meats from Costco and then get all our produce and anything else we may need from a local health food store. It seems to work out well for us since we can buy all the meat in bulk and freeze it, then buy the produce we need on a weekly basis.
    that is awesome I'm definitely going to start doing that!
  • Lbetty11
    Lbetty11 Posts: 4 Member
    We do the same, just at Sam's Club instead of Costco. It seems to save a lot on things like meat compared to regular grocery stores. For things we need every week I just go to Safeway. Not the cheapest but it's convenient. We are an hour away from base.
  • The town we're in is small too. We just have walmart & Kroger to choose from. Walmart is too crazy for me! I have done A LOT of cost comparison and the commissary is def cheaper for meats and a lot of frozen stuff. Kroger has an awesome coupon/sale program and I'm able to get a lot of our staples for cheap by "stacking". I also buy diapers and such at Kroger. And fresh fruit I get at Kroger too... the stuff I get at the commissary and Walmart goes bad too fast. In the summer I try to buy at the farmers market.

We don't have a health food store, but if we did I might shop there more often, for quality ingredients. Sometimes when we travel I stop at Whole Foods to get bulk grains like quinoa and couscous cause it's so much more expensive prepackaged in the stores.