New Year, Fresh Start (for fruits and vegetables)

Options
dward59
dward59 Posts: 731 Member
One of the most important things we can do for our health is to limit processed foods. In the middle of winter this may seem a daunting task. Here is a page that lists what is in season every month of the year.

http://www.wisebread.com/fresh-fruits-and-vegetables-by-the-month

I challenge you to find a way to incorporate something from this list at least one day each week. Try something new. If you stumble on something really great, share it with the group. Be sure to add recipes, especially easy ones, to the recipe threads so they are easy to find.

Enjoy!

Replies

• therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm, broccoli!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Warfarin, a blood thinner, can prevent clots (which cause strokes). Too much can cause hemorrhaging. [Side note: warfarin is also a common rat poison. Rats who eat it bleed to death.]

Since green vegetables increase clotting in people taking Warfarin, we monitor how much we eat. My med dosage is higher because I love to eat veggies. As you can imagine, it's important to be consistent.

So I eat about the same amount of greens every day, and broccoli is a favorite. Yum.
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this list. One way to snack on cauliflower that is yummy is to roast it. Break the florets (is that what they're called?) into small pieces and put into a gallon bag with a small amount of olive oil to coat lightly. (Or spray with olive oil after you put the in the pan.)
    Arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet and roast at 375 degrees until they are as brown as you like. The darker they get the sweeter they'll be because of the natural sugar in them.
    You can try adding seasonings for different flavors, too.
  • grannelle
    Options
    Yumm. As soon as the current cold snap eases off, I will be starting some winter veggies. Already seedin some indoors for transplanting later, such as tomatoes.
  • grannelle
    Options
    Got. A huge cauliflower at store yesterday, will roast todat. Cauliflower is afree food on many plans, and one of the superfoods. Indole group. Maybe a little behind broccoli, but e asier to digest for some folks. Even good raw.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Good job grannelle, and great information to both you and leannabseven.

Paula, good warning for anyone on blood thinners. Also true for dark leafy greens like spinach. If you are adding these into your diet, be sure to talk to your doctor. Your dosage may well have to be changed.
  • 808malia
    808malia Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Someone brought me a starfruit today @ work so I'm gonna eat that after lunch!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I apparently have to restock my fridge after my extended trip... I love fruit and veggies but have been slacking off :)
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Went shopping got apples, carrots, Asian pears, and cantaloupe for the next few days then I will go again on Friday or Saturday and shop for next week! :)
  • cookiev1967
    Options
    I love broccoli, most greens and cauliflower. I like to steam the cauliflower until it's soft enough to mash with a fork. I mash them as if I were making mashed potatoes. I add a little chicken base to add flavor and a little salt. and some Mrs. Dash. They are absolutely delicious!!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Cookie, I have yet to try mashed cailuliflower but I have been working on hiding extra fibre and veggies into my families meals as I have some picky eaters... Have you tried to mix it half n half with potatoe? I need to remember this one!
  • EatingThisNotThat
    Options
    I'm lucky, I love most fruits and veggies! I prefer 'em raw or my veggies on the lightly cooked side, and fresh as opposed to canned or frozen simply because they taste more flavorful, the texture is more appealing and the nutritional values can't compare.

For those of you who don't like this part of the food pyramid, consider sneaking some antioxidant and vitamin rich veggies into your diet by adding them to your protein shakes (I use a Nutribullet to puree/liquefy them) or add them to turkey or lean beef loaves or burgers, or try combinations with fruits and veggies that you DO like to help with the taste.

I just ran across this website that's got some great information, ideas, and recipes (most of which include fruits and/or veggies) I'm still exploring it, so if you take a look, let me know what you think! (Some of the recipes sound amazing, but I wish there was more nutrition counts. Still, lots of good nutrition advice from what I've seen, although nothing is written in stone. http://askgeorgie.com
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    A common salad topping mix I make is one medium apple cut in 1/8ths, then sliced and halved again to make them smaller. I add in 1 tablespoon of slivered, oven roasted, unsalted almonds, 1 tbsp of craisins reduced sugar, drizzle with a tbsp. of olive oil and a good bit or Real Lime lime juice to keep the apples from browning. Per salad divide the mixture in half and add to the top of any salad (I frequently use red and green leaf mixed). You can add any kind of protein you want. It is low in sodium, the olive oil brings out the nutty flavor of the almonds and lets the flavors mix a bit better. I eat a lot of salads and am always on the look out for new things to do with them. I even added kiwi to a romaine, broccoli and cauliflower salad I made the other day.
  • EatingThisNotThat
    Options
    Sounds delish, etherlily. I love salads too. One of my favorites is greens (lots of spinach, some romaine, butter or leaf lettuce, and kale typically), raw mushrooms, red onion, glazed pecans (I make my own homemade glazed with honey and spices), raspberries, feta cheese crumbles, and pomegranate vinaigrette. Add a half of a chicken breast for a complete meal! I have an amazing salad cookbook - I'll try to post some of the more interesting recipes from time to time!
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    That would be great to see some more recipes! I have a bunch of Biggest Loser cookbooks that I am going through to find healthier alternatives.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    These are some great alternatives to add to the salads! When I have to bring a lunch to work it's often a loaded salad :) thanks for the extra ideas...

We have been getting our veggies in as much as possible! I can't wait till payday I have been feeding extra people and it's getting costly :)
  • grannelle
    Options
    This morning, I made a frittata with onions, orange bell pepper, roma tomato, baby spinach, 2 eggs, and 1 oz of mozzarella.