Non CF days-training

Options
What do you guys do on the days you don't go to the box? I just started going 3 times a week and doing spin/zumba 2 other days but I am wondering if I should be doing some kinda weights still at the gym or skills training?

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I think what you do depends on whether or not you are using CrossFit to get better at your other activities or if you are trying to get better at CrossFit. If the latter, I've read it's best to do more CF and work on running if it's a weakness in your WODs. You can also probably work on any skills on which you need improvement. In my experience, a regular yoga/stretching regimen is an excellent addition to any fitness program (and is often overlooked).

I never played sports when I was younger, but both as an adult and as a child, I danced (pole and ballet). I have had a difficult time learning movements in CF because there are no mirrors and I am accustomed to learning by watching the teacher, doing something, and then watching myself. So, I often have to watch videos of movements we practice in CF and then practice them alone in front of a mirror or video myself for review. I work on skills that way at the gym. I am a visual learner, not a tactile learner, so learning during the actual WODs takes some supplementation outside of the WODs for me. I found that as I was learning pole, for every lesson I had with the instructor, I had to do two on my own to understand the movements and then take them back for review. Same is true with CF for me. When I have been doing CF longer, I will be able to just do the movements without overt-thinking them, hopefully.

Also, I am doing Crossfit to make me better at other activities, so my goals are a little different. I CF 3x per week but I am looking to bump it up to 4x if time permits (the box schedule doesn't mesh well with my sleep schedule since I work nights). I lift 2x per week outside of CF, swim 2-3x per week and do other cardio 1-2x per week (hiking, running, walking, stationary bike) etc. I generally also do yoga every week and do pole for fun once per week. Time-wise: I don't have TV or kids and it's cold where I live in the winter, so playing on the computer and exercising are pretty much all I do for entertainment for 8 months out of the year. :wink:
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with what Kelly said - it all depends on what your goals are.
    For me, I just want to get better at crossfit. I want to get better at every aspect of it - lifting, running, gymnastics, bodyweight movements, etc. So I do crossfit 8-10 times per week and other than stretching/mobility work, I don't do much else. 1 of those sessions if usually focused on olympic lifting.

I usually add 10 mins of HIIT on the rower at the end of 3-4 sessions per week but that is more to help with my current fat loss goal than anything, and I try REALLY hard to do some mobility stuff at least 3-4 times per week outside of the box but it doesn't always happen. That said, I'm realising now the importance of mobility exercises and plan on going by Kelly Starrett's rule (look him up - very useful!) of 10-15 mins mobility work for every crossfit session.

I usually only have 1 non-training day per week and that is my rest day. I hate rest days so I have to try really hard not to do any training or other exercise, other than mobility/stretching, but I know how crucial it is to my recovery, etc.

Figure out what your goals are and then decide if you want to do other exercise on your non-CF days, or if you just want to do more CF sessions.
    I've been doing crossfit for over 2 years and for about 18 months I was just coasting along doing 4 sessions per week but then something in me clicked and I decided I really wanted to get a whole lot better at crossfit, so I amped up my training to my current 8-10 sessions and I'm loving it.
    It's all a personal choice. Some people CF 3-4 times per week and fill other days with heavy lifting, cardio, dance, etc etc while others just use those other days as rest days. Totally your call :)
  • AutumnLee23
    AutumnLee23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am still trying to figure out what my goals are specifically other than dropping weight. I want to get better at all things CF…climb a rope, do a pull up etc.
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    I have roller derby and running on the days I don't do CF.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    I punch the heavy bag, run, or swim. I also do spinning sometimes.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Going along with what others have said..

I am doing an additional strength program with crossfit, so I generally crossfit 5 days/week and I do supplemental training on day 6, I take 1 full rest day and usually do crossfit and additional strength 3x/week. (i.e. Mondays CF, Tuesdays Strength/CF, Wed CF, Thursdays both....)

I know I need to work on double unders, pull up/push up stamina, burpees, etc. so that is something that I work on regularly also.
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I usually crossfit 4 or 5x per week. I supplement with running or yoga. I used to love Zumba so if I still could get to it I would. And don't worry about the rope climbs right away, I actually got up for the first time the other day. Took me 6 months.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do an Instagram or YouTube workout when I can't make it to CF.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am still trying to figure out what my goals are specifically other than dropping weight. I want to get better at all things CF…climb a rope, do a pull up etc.

Don't worry about weight. Get a tape measure and measure your neck, stomach at the belly, hips, and both thighs. Keep doing what you are doing and measure again once a month.

Don't be surprised if you GAIN weight doing CF when you start. There are muscles that you have barely used that are going to get hit HARD. They are going to get bigger.

If your clothes fit better and you still weight the same, who cares? :)
  • AutumnLee23
    AutumnLee23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Agreed!! I did measure! I still have baby weight to lose so hopefully some of that comes off but I am excited to get strong :)
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    My goal is weight loss. I love CF, but can only make it to classes 3 days a week. On my other days I focus on cardio, running, spinning or the elliptical. I will also do WOD's at home at least once a week.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I started going to CrossFit as a method to cross-train for my triathlons (cycling, swimming, running) and as another source for my cardio - especially w/ the New England winters. I had gotten bored with the typical programming at my local gym and wanted a change. So for now, this is my schedule - it will change once the snow melts and warm temps return:

Monday: Spin in the morning and CrossFit at night (*sometimes swimming instead of spin)
    Tues.: Yoga in the morning and CrossFit at night
    Wed.: Some type of "running" cardio (**or it's a rest day**)
    Thursday: Yoga in the morning and CrossFit at lunch
    Friday: Spin in the morning (*sometimes swimming for lunch if time permits)
    Sat.: Skiing (*I teach adaptive lessons)
    Sun.: Swimming or some type of "running" cardio in the morning (**or it's a rest day**)

** I also wanted to loose weight and body fat, so I talked w/ my coaches. Turns out, I had to increase my caloric intake and modify my eating choices & habits (*I'm 80% paleo at this stage) and BINGO - not only did the weight start to come off, but I also saw even more increases in my endurance and faster WOD times, heavier weights and faster runs, rides and swims.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ** I also wanted to loose weight and body fat, so I talked w/ my coaches. Turns out, I had to increase my caloric intake and modify my eating choices & habits (*I'm 80% paleo at this stage) and BINGO - not only did the weight start to come off, but I also saw even more increases in my endurance and faster WOD times, heavier weights and faster runs, rides and swims.

This approach has had me very curious and interested for a while - do you know how many calories you're now eating compared to before, and compared to your TDEE?
    At the end of the day, regardless of food choices, you still need to be in somewhat of a calorie deficit to lose weight...

Paleo is VERY difficult for me as a vegetarian because many of the veg protein options are ruled out and I therefore would seriously struggle to get my protein in, so I've never tried it but my diet is about 90% clean as it is, and I'm currently eating around 2100 calories - roughly 400 less than my TDEE...
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

This approach has had me very curious and interested for a while - do you know how many calories you're now eating compared to before, and compared to your TDEE?
    At the end of the day, regardless of food choices, you still need to be in somewhat of a calorie deficit to lose weight...

Paleo is VERY difficult for me as a vegetarian because many of the veg protein options are ruled out and I therefore would seriously struggle to get my protein in, so I've never tried it but my diet is about 90% clean as it is, and I'm currently eating around 2100 calories - roughly 400 less than my TDEE...

Which would mean for me that I just ignore the no dairy, no beans rules :)

If I every had to go vegetarian there is no way I could do it without those two things.