Winter Tennis

Options
Leeann1979
Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
Hello tennis friends!

Summer is winding down....well, its over :( How many of you play tennis in the winter? We are fortunate enough here to have indoor courts. Only 2 of them, but its all we have. Rumour has it we are losing those courts in a couple of years. If that happens, we will have no indoor courts in the city, which is crazy for a city this size.

Anyway, just making small talk with you guys!

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    What is winter?
    I live in California. The months at the very end of the year, and the beginning of the next, just mean that sometimes you are planning on playing, and it rains and you cannot.
    There are a few indoor courts in my town. But I am not even sure why they exist, there is so little need. For those few rainy days, I guess. And, they are expensive, while every neighborhood park has courts that are adequate.
    All that said, I used to play indoor when I lived in Chicago (really expensive!), in Boston (at MIT, a huge facility, and very nice), and in Rochester, NY (at a private, indoor only club and a bubble court downtown).
    I actually kind of liked playing indoors and having perfect conditions.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas. Winter is mild here, so I can play the majority of the year. I'd rather play in 45 than 95.

I have lived in colder climates. The options are either indoor tennis (can be pricey) or maybe switching over to racquetball (indoors and less pricey). Racquetball is hard.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    So jealous of both of you!! I think I need to move!!
  • aimeedavids13
    Options
    I played my first League Match in 2013 in the snow. It was just a light flurry but it was awesome. I live in Atlanta, GA and we have leagues that go year around but we've had a lot of rain this year and it became so hard to schedule matches I had to withdraw from a couple of leagues. I'm playing Mixed Doubles now with practice on Thursday night and matches on Sundays at 1:00 but you just don't feel it as much as long as you keep moving. I can't stand long breaks between points/sets because it's almost impossible to get warm again but when you are doing something you love, you'd be surprised what kind of temperatures you can put up with. I would rather play and it be cold than too hot. Now all the things I have to do to keep my game at it's best, running in the a.m. and hiking, I've dropped those things like they were bad habits and I can definitely tell a difference in my tennis game and my dog's waistline so I've got to be really careful about not getting injured playing in the cold.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! I have played in a bit of snow once or twice myself. But only until the courts get slippery. We diehards are willing to brave the cold, but not injury. And I have played in domes where the heater is broken, and you can see your breath, lots of times. I wear leather gloves and a jacket :).
  • c4rped1em
    c4rped1em Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I play winter tennis on a women's USTA league. :) I don't get to play often because of how busy I am but it's awesome getting to play. I'm renting a court tonight to practice for our match on Saturday!
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I played tennis outdoors last night. When I took the court around 6 PM, the temperature was about 45 degrees. I played in workout type pants, and a t shirt covered by a sweatshirt. I was also wearing a ski type hat over my head. I prefer playing in 45 to 100 degrees any day. And I'm so fortunate to have access to lighted courts for night play, as I greatly prefer night play to day play.
  • BlackRose101
    BlackRose101 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Racquetball courts for me, or I just hit around my garage.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    lol, I started this with my previous account.

Still jealous of all of you who get to play outdoors all year!