Vegan Wedding

daffodilsoup
daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
Hi All!

My wonderful boyfriend and I got engaged on New Year's Eve, and we are looking forward to planning our wedding, which will be 100% plant-based (like us!).

I'm on the hunt for vegan menu inspiration! Did any of you have a vegan wedding? What did you serve? How did your guests react?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Some friends of mine had a vegan wedding. They served apps during cocktail hour: mushroom puffs, bruschetta, spring rolls, etc (I guess typical wedding appetizers but vegan versions). For the main course it was a Thai cuisine buffet, featuring Pad Thai, so good!
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    My good friends had a vegetarian buffet this summer- I remember seeing tons of Middle Eastern foods- falafel, tabouli, hummus, etc. It was structured so you could pick and try different things without needing a major "entree". We just ordered pizza for everyone at mine, no muss, no fuss! We never heard any complaints (to our face at least) and since it was Halloween, people seemed to be just fine with it ;)
  • RachMarie247
    RachMarie247 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm vegan, but my fiance/family are not, so we are just having a lot of plant-based food, and some not.

Vegan foods we are having:
    Stuffed Zucchinin rounds with raratouille
    Mediterranean Display (Trio of hummus, olives, fresh veggies, toasted pita)
    Spring Harvest Salad with strawberries, Mandarin oranges, almonds and balsamic vinaigrette
    Bread with Tomato Olive Oil
    Summer Vegetable Napoleon (layers of roasted eggplant, zucchini, portobello, and heirloom tomatoe with balsamic glaze) over polenta
    Vegan wedding cake!
    Fruit display
    Black bean sliders for late night snack :)

I've heard of vegans doing Indian Buffet as well. We wanted a plated dinner so we went a different route.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    These are all great suggestions! I love the idea of having lots of "stations" and/or a buffet so people can try a little bit of everything and don't have to commit to a single dish that they aren't familiar with.

I'm so happy to hear about the positive reactions, too! It feels good to reaffirm that I don't need to compromise my morals in order to celebrate our love.
  • fouroclock
    fouroclock Posts: 11 Member
    Congratulations! We had a vegan wedding in my house for a friend of mine and we went with a Mediterranean theme. We had the basics such as falafel, grape leaves, hummus, babagunush but I also made some vegan dishes. The hit was the basil, tomato pasta salad with sesame seeds. The brides parents did not even know that the cake was vegan as well :) We also served plenty of beer and wine which made the crowd double happy!
  • I'm also in the process of planning a vegan wedding :) Check out vegnews.com, they do a special every year where they cover around 10-12 couples that had vegan weddings. It includes the food they served, among other things :) Fun to look at for inspiration. Good luck!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Congrats!

My advice would be not to mention to anyone that it's vegan. (Just tell fellow vegans and vegetarians so they know they can eat free reign but ask them to keep it to themselves.) Most people when confronted with tons of food are going to eat and enjoy. There are plenty of "normal" foods that are vegan.

Pasta dishes
    Vegan garlic bread and bread served with vegan butter
    Salad
    Soup
    Roasted vegetables
    Roasted potatoes
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Congratulations! I got engaged over the holidays too and I love all these suggestions!

My other half is a flexitarian, and really wants meat at the wedding :( but he is on-board with "vegan everything" except a meat station. I was thinking I wouldn't make it obvious everything is vegan, and shock my country family with that news later! :)

GREAT tip on the vegnews.com feature! Thank!

PS. Still hoping to change his mind on the meat station before the caterer is hired :)
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Congrats on your engagement! I eloped so never had a wedding, but I would've had everything vegan if I had a wedding. If your budget permits, maybe hook up with a local vegan restaurant about catering if you want a formal dinner. If not, as others have suggested, there are tons of foods that people love that are naturally vegan or can easily be made vegan! I like the idea of having the buffet style wedding where you can have lots of foods to eat and try so no one goes home hungry. It also would be a great way to show all of the foods that vegans actually eat!
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Congrats on your engagement! I got engaged last June and haven't gotten too far in the wedding planning but I know that I will have it 100% vegan. I see no reason to hide it from friends and family - if they can't not eat meat for a single meal in order to celebrate who we are as individuals, I'm not so sure I'd want them at my wedding anyway.
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    We're having a vegan BBQ at my wedding later this year :)

Soya burgers, sausages, vegetable skewers and foil wrapped potatoes chucked in the coals with a selection of fillings :)