My first competition is on Sunday

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
The three WODs are:

Bear Complex for weight. You and your partner have 7 minutes to each get a max weight on it.

Bear Complex the following moves done in sequence, bar does not touch the ground until the end.

Clean
Squat to Parallel
Push Press
Back Squat
Behind the back press
control the bar to the ground.

It is acceptable to do a squat clean into a thruster.

Second is Jackie gone Crazy.

1000m row. One partner does 500 then the next.
50 Power Snatches (scaled division is 65 for men)
30 hand-release push ups.

Third is 2 rounds of

Burpee Box Jump Over
KB Swing (1.5 pood)
Deadlifts (185)

So six minutes total. Each partner has to do something each minute. So for instance since I'm the bigger, stronger guy and my partner has better cardio, He will probably do more burpees, we will try to split the KB swings and I will focus on DLs since that is a weight I can pull for a very a lot of repeats.

Looks tough but not as crazy/insane/hard as some of the other competitions I've attended.

Replies

• bostonwolf
    Options
    Oh and my partner and I ran through Jackie yesterday in 7:45. I'm hoping to get nearer to or under 7 for the comp.
  • MoJokes
    MoJokes Posts: 691
    Options
    Sounds like you got tactics laid out. All the best
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So kewl. I feel so sorry for you -- LOL. Good luck!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^I know it will hurt but it does not seem nearly as bad as some of the ones I've attended to photograph.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    my first is on Saturday! So i'm in the same boat...also a partner comp

they announced the wods a couple days ago so yesterday my partner and I ran through all of them and we did really well

here was ours

wod 1
    row 1000m (split however you want)
    thruster and burpee bar jump over ladder

10 minute cap.

she's a better rower than me, so i did 400 and she did 600. since she was smoked for a minute on the rowing, i went ahead and did the first 3 rounds of the ladder (1 thruster, 1 burpee, 2 thrusters, 2 burpees, 3 thrusters, 3 burpees, etc)
    but after that she started doing the thrusters and i did the burpees. we got to 10 rounds which is way better than i thought we would! that wod couldn't have gone any better actually.

wod 2
    20 unbroken single unders
    20 jumping lunges
    40 unbroken single unders
    20 hand release push ups
    60 unbroken single unders
    20 box jumps
    80 unbroken single unders
    20 situps
    100 unbroken single unders
    20 situps
    20 box jumps
    20 hand release pushups
    20 jumping lunges

10 minute cap, whatever time you have left over you spend doing more jumping lunges to add points and serve as a tie breaker if need be.
    this one is tricky because of the unbroken singles. we both can jump rope all day long, but having the pressure of them needing to be unbroken is hard. she mainly did the jumping, but i did one of the rounds of 60, 80, and the 100. we both tripped up a couple times. i did the non-jump roping part of the wod, though she did some situps and in the end helped with a few pushups

wod 3
    40 deadlifts @ 125
    10 american kb swings (26lb)
    20 deadlifts @ 145
    20 american swings
    10 deadlifts @ 165
    40 american swings

10 minute cap. whatever time remains spend doing more deadlifts @ 165 to gain more points.
    this one was ok. our plan was that i'd do the first 10 deadlifts, and all the swings, and she'd do the rest of the deadlifts cause that's her strong point. they ended up feeling heavier than we both anticipated. and I never do american swings, only russian. this comp has strict standards on how to the the swings (everything needs to be locked out, bottom of KB has to be parallel to the ceiling, not hinging or else it's a no-rep). so i'm basically just worried about the swings.

we ended up splitting up the deadlifts a lot more than we planned. i did the first 10, then she did 10, then i did 5, then she did the last 15, and we split up the heavier ones a little too despite me not being fast on those.

anyway, we still finished in under 10 minutes and was able to get an extra 19 reps, so i think we did well considering we did all 3 wods within a 1.5 hour window and at the comp we'll have more like a 4 hour window.

sorry for my ramblings, but i'm excited!

good luck to you!
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good luck you guys!

I'm doing my first partner competition, and it's a "Ball and Chain" competition, so it's me and another guy from the gym. Eek!

Unfortunately, we both have a strength bias, and cardio endurance is our weak points, so we can't help eachother out there. But it should be a lot of fun!
  • bostonwolf
    Options

they announced the wods a couple days ago so yesterday my partner and I ran through all of them and we did really well

here was ours

wod 1

10 minute cap.

she's a better rower than me, so i did 400 and she did 600. since she was smoked for a minute on the rowing, i went ahead and did the first 3 rounds of the ladder (1 thruster, 1 burpee, 2 thrusters, 2 burpees, 3 thrusters, 3 burpees, etc)
    but after that she started doing the thrusters and i did the burpees. we got to 10 rounds which is way better than i thought we would! that wod couldn't have gone any better actually.

wod 2
    20 jumping lunges
    20 hand release push ups
    20 box jumps
    20 situps
    20 situps
    20 box jumps
    20 hand release pushups
    20 jumping lunges

10 minute cap, whatever time you have left over you spend doing more jumping lunges to add points and serve as a tie breaker if need be.
    this one is tricky because of the unbroken singles. we both can jump rope all day long, but having the pressure of them needing to be unbroken is hard. she mainly did the jumping, but i did one of the rounds of 60, 80, and the 100. we both tripped up a couple times. i did the non-jump roping part of the wod, though she did some situps and in the end helped with a few pushups

wod 3
    40 deadlifts @ 125
    20 deadlifts @ 145
    20 american swings
    10 deadlifts @ 165
    40 american swings

10 minute cap. whatever time remains spend doing more deadlifts @ 165 to gain more points.
    this one was ok. our plan was that i'd do the first 10 deadlifts, and all the swings, and she'd do the rest of the deadlifts cause that's her strong point. they ended up feeling heavier than we both anticipated. and I never do american swings, only russian. this comp has strict standards on how to the the swings (everything needs to be locked out, bottom of KB has to be parallel to the ceiling, not hinging or else it's a no-rep). so i'm basically just worried about the swings.

we ended up splitting up the deadlifts a lot more than we planned. i did the first 10, then she did 10, then i did 5, then she did the last 15, and we split up the heavier ones a little too despite me not being fast on those.

anyway, we still finished in under 10 minutes and was able to get an extra 19 reps, so i think we did well considering we did all 3 wods within a 1.5 hour window and at the comp we'll have more like a 4 hour window.

good luck to you!

I feel like this is tough but doable as well and a good measure of your met-con. The last one I went to had one WOD that was a 400m run, then 20 deadlifts (at a considerable weight) and then the score was box jumps as many as you can get. 5 rounds, maybe 4 minutes per round?

Without fail every single competitor was completely gassed at the end. For one of my buddies it was his last WOD of the day. He was using a metal box and put a can of beer under it as motivation. Popped it the second he signed off on the WOD :)

My Inov-8 lifting shoes should be here today so I can try them out tonight a bit. Will run through the bear complex to see how they do. I really need to start dedicating myself to improving shoulder mobility for my front rack. That is really limiting me on the Olympic lifts, particularly cleans.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options

here was ours

wod 1

10 minute cap.

wod 2
    20 jumping lunges
    20 hand release push ups
    20 box jumps
    20 situps
    20 situps
    20 box jumps
    20 hand release pushups
    20 jumping lunges

wod 3
    40 deadlifts @ 125
    20 deadlifts @ 145
    20 american swings
    10 deadlifts @ 165
    40 american swings

good luck to you!

I feel like this is tough but doable as well and a good measure of your met-con. The last one I went to had one WOD that was a 400m run, then 20 deadlifts (at a considerable weight) and then the score was box jumps as many as you can get. 5 rounds, maybe 4 minutes per round?

Without fail every single competitor was completely gassed at the end. For one of my buddies it was his last WOD of the day. He was using a metal box and put a can of beer under it as motivation. Popped it the second he signed off on the WOD :)

My Inov-8 lifting shoes should be here today so I can try them out tonight a bit. Will run through the bear complex to see how they do. I really need to start dedicating myself to improving shoulder mobility for my front rack. That is really limiting me on the Olympic lifts, particularly cleans.

Spend the time on mobility! It'll definitely payoff with everything else. If you can't hit the positions you need with proper technique it'll be hard to keep going. Becoming the Supple Leopard has some good information and will give you a lot of options for things you can do with just a couple of tools
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Already have it, and bought the MobilityWOD poster on shoulders/front rack and donated it to the box. I do at least three of the stretches every time I'm there.

There has been improvement but I'm not yet where I need to be.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    We finished dead last but had a great time. Looking forward to improving for my next tournament.

My knee (the surgically repaired one) is a bit swollen but that was expected. And I'm sore from neck to toe. Also expected.

Not expected? Someone asking my workout partner if I was his dad....(he's 30, I'm 43.)

That stings a bit :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Your post ^ is pretty funny! Hey, you have to compete a few times to learn how to win; That is always the way. I play tennis, and the first tournaments you play, you lose. Half of the people who join a tournament lose in their first match.
    But, it is the only way you can get better. It is the only way you can win!
    Good luck with the next one. Thanks for sharing.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Yeah we had no expectations going in and kind of expected to be near the bottom.

The only downside was that we kind of got screwed on the second WOD that started with the rowing. My screen turned off during the 5 second countdown and didn't get activated again until probably 5-10 seconds after everyone else had already started. And that was still the only workout we didn't finish in last place. We would have had a decent time if not for that. oh well!

Overall the competition was very well run. Crossfit 2A (Acton MA) did a great job.