**Distraction**

Options
Here we can post ideas and what works for us when what we really need is distraction from the binge-reflex or something to get us out of the fridge/pantry/kitchen/house and AWAY FROM FOOD.

Can't wait to get some ideas!

Replies

• LilchookNZ
    Options
    A couple to start with:

At night - brush teeth and go to bed (on the assumption that the bedroom is a safe-ish, snack hoard free zone).

Log on to MFP! I can spend a couple of hours trawling through blogs and posts here which also helps with motivation. Could also pre-log any potential binges which I have done occasionally and that has made me realise that actually its not worth it to go overboard and I could fit what I was thinking about eating into my day in a smaller amount.

Chewing gum - I have to do this if I am baking, which I haven't been able to do safely for a while. I have a scarily automatic mixture to mouth reflex going on constantly.

Gardening - sounds a little odd perhaps but anything like planting, weeding, watering etc takes up more time than you realise. Plus nature is good for the soul. Actually same goes for cleaning.
  • musetle
    musetle Posts: 70
    Options
    -I like engrossing myself in a book for an hour or two, usually until I find the urge has passed
    -I also like to do maybe a 20 minute or more yoga video from yogajournal.com, which relaxes me and makes me think clearly :)
    -Having a shower! I dunno, something about cleaning myself up pushes me away from the discomfort I know I'd feel if I binged.
  • waffletops
    waffletops Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A couple to start with:

At night - brush teeth and go to bed (on the assumption that the bedroom is a safe-ish, snack hoard free zone).

Log on to MFP! I can spend a couple of hours trawling through blogs and posts here which also helps with motivation. Could also pre-log any potential binges which I have done occasionally and that has made me realise that actually its not worth it to go overboard and I could fit what I was thinking about eating into my day in a smaller amount.

Chewing gum - I have to do this if I am baking, which I haven't been able to do safely for a while. I have a scarily automatic mixture to mouth reflex going on constantly.

I do all of these as well, although sometimes I end up going to bed at 7.30pm some nights just so I don't indulge.

I browse the internet looking for holidays, or nice clothes that I want to fit into.

cleaning is a good one to distract your mind away from food.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options
    -I like engrossing myself in a book for an hour or two, usually until I find the urge has passed
    -I also like to do maybe a 20 minute or more yoga video from yogajournal.com, which relaxes me and makes me think clearly :)
    -Having a shower! I dunno, something about cleaning myself up pushes me away from the discomfort I know I'd feel if I binged.

Shower is a good one! I get that unclean feeling too, and it can take you away from the kitchen for a good amount of time when you add moisturising etc into the mix.

Exercise is a BIG one for me - I hardly feel like eating just after exercising let alone binging, so having enough will power to just put my shoes on and get out for a walk or something makes a huge difference.
  • LilchookNZ
    Options

I do all of these as well, although sometimes I end up going to bed at 7.30pm some nights just so I don't indulge.

I browse the internet looking for holidays, or nice clothes that I want to fit into.

cleaning is a good one to distract your mind away from food.

Yay sleep - you must have a lovely fresh look!

Holiday browsings a great idea, and clothes. I go through and try on old clothes that are too small (or, admittedly new clothes I bought knowing they are too small - BAD habit I know) - although I have to pick my moment with this as this can also make me feel like binging if I'm unhappy with the result.

One other thing I do which I have heard from lots of others is to down a bottle of water before going to the kitchen.
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wonderful suggestions!

I drink a glass of water nearly every time I go into the kitchen. I keep a huge glass right next to the sink.

I troll through the success stories on MFP...it keeps me motivated.
  • willi220
    Options
    I posted on the "Triggers" thread - Mine is boredom. I get bored and just want to eat. Then feel guilty and eat more.

My most recent distraction is getting all things done and off my list when I get home from work, instead of eating.

For example, I know when I get home I need to make dinner, finish laundry, take my dogs on a walk, clean up the kitchen, shower and pack my lunch.

I try and focus on these things and accomplishing them, which usually means I am busy until around 8-9 pm. If I do this, and recognize that it is late and I need to shower and go to bed (I am trying to avoid eating late past 7 pm as well), I will just keep busy with these tasks until it is time to sleep.

If I really am hungry and need a distraction from snacking on unhealthy foods, I am trying to snack on things like grapes, sweet peppers, and popcorn are some good, healthy distraction foods.
  • willi220
    Options
    Also - I used a picture of my "dream bod" as the wall paper on my phone to keep me distracted from snacking. Or focused, however you would like to look at it haha.
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Sometimes, weather permitting, I just have to walk out the front door and go for a walk! I do chew gum a lot though!
  • rebeccas207
    Options
    Great ideas! I try the brushing teeth after dinner, hot tea, playing words with friends, playing on MFP. ...
  • Ecampbell64
    Ecampbell64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is a distraction but it might be useful. On recommendation from the binge eating board, I started reading Eating By the Light of the Moon. I am enjoying it and I think of it as "women who run with the binging wolves" if any of you gals remember that book. : )

It has these myths that illustrate ideas that the author has developed in her work with women with eating disorders. Not a new idea but she talks about identifying the emotions behind the binging. I've been trying to do that when I feel like eating but it isn't hunger. Can't always tell, but I did feel the reverse last night.

Had a long phone call with my sister last night getting caught up, and afterwards I had no hunger or cravings at all. Even with more calories available. So that contact filled me up, so to speak. Makes sense because my husband and I moved this past summer and I now work from home. I don't have many new friends yet nor the camaraderie of a workplace.