Welcome!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Momofgenerals
    Momofgenerals Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

After years of suffering with weight and energy, like many of you, I kept insisting to see someone. Blood tests a year ago confirmed Hashi's. I am currently on 125mcg of Levothyroxine and gluten free. Still struggling with weight and some energy levels so I am hoping that the next round of blood work shows the endo that something else needs to happen.

I want to thank all of you for sharing your stories. Hashi's has a way of isolating you an it's great to have a place to come an not be alone.

I am a working mom of two hockey playing boys (9 & 6) who is always on the go. Fitting in fitness has been tough, going gluten free has been an interesting and sometimes frustrating adventure. I look forward to connecting with all of you!

Samantha
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group ladies! It seems the activity in the group is up and down. It is nice to have a place to talk about some stuff that others might think you're just off your rocker. :smile:
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for telling your stories!

It gave me the courage to go back to my doctor and he started me back on meds.
    I really appreciate the openness and honesty and courage I see here.
    I hope to be feeling better soon!
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I DEFINITELY posted in the wrong area. So I will introduce myself HERE lol.

I am Mia and I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's on November 22nd. I figured all the things in my head were all things related to me not living right. My bad skin and hair was from those years that I had smoked. My lethargy was because I didn't sleep enough and that I had no one to blame for being overweight. I didn't even entertain the thought of hypothyroidism because I didn't want to make excuses for myself. I suppose I might have been a bit hard on myself... lol. Looking back I see all the symptoms.

I remember getting really sick when I was 18 and having the worst sore throat I could ever imagine. I took meds, made it worse, finally after nearly 2 weeks I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with Mono. The weird thing was that shortly after that I was fine, just really tired. It was the weirdest bout of mono I ever heard of but I thought very little of it. After that I went through many different stressful situations and was depressed and tired and my psoriasis started flaring up.

No keep in mind that I was always a chubby girl. Even as a child I remember being 5'7 at the age of 10 and a size 12/14 in womens. By the time I graduated I was a 16/18. My weight would fluxuate 30 pounds up or down and it was just the way the world worked for me. When I was 22 I moved in with my Dad and his girlfriend (who is now my stepmother). My dad had left my mom the Thanksgiving before and after she left and the house was gone I didn't really have anywhere to go. So I moved in, got two jobs, and walked to and from work (10-15 minute walks). All of a sudden I went from 270 pounds down to 180. My diet consisted of Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Schlotzky's yet I lost 90 pounds just from walking 10 minutes a day to work and 10 minutes from! At least that's what i thought. Looking back I see that was just a hyper phase that went REALLY HYPER!!! I platued and stayed around 200lbs for a while. Then about 2 years or so ago I went from weight 220 to 295 in less than a year. I was walking to and from work (now a 45 minute walk) and still gaining rapidly. I worked hard to lose weight but seemed nothing ever worked. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Diet, exercise, what the heck!?!

This past year was my first year that I had insurance. I went to a GYNO for a well woman's exam as required by the insurance company and she put me on birth control. After my 3rd time back to change perscriptions she decided to do blood tests. She told me that I didn't have much in my file because I never went to a doctor unless it was an emergency (such as the 2 week sore throat of death!). She saw my symptoms. My psoriasis rashes spreading, my pale dry skin, my brittle nails and hair, my menstrual problems, my weight issues, my depression, my puffy eyes, so on and so forth. A few days later I get a call for another test, they told me my results were abnormal and they needed another test to confirm or deny. So I went back and they discovered my TSH levels were 5.5 and 7.5 from the two tests. My gyno (that amazing woman) forwarded my information to one of the top Endos in our area. Dr. Tan looked over my tests, examined me, asked me questions and did a sonagram of my thyroid. That is when I was diagnosed and put on Synthroid. It was all well and good at first but now all of a sudden I'm really depressed, extremely tired ALL of the time and my neck and throat hurt again and I can even see my thyroid when I swallow. I went back for another round of blood tests to see if we need to adjust my dosage. My next appointment is in February when we do a biopsy of two nodules that have formed on one side of my Thyroid. Wish me luck, Ladies!

Also, for some reason, this whole thing has been rough for me. I know Hashi's isn't that big a deal, not like cancer. I'm not dying. But for some reason I am having a hard time dealing with it. Maybe it's because I'm scared I'll never feel good. Maybe it's because I feel utterly unattractive from my hair falling out and my weight gain and I just feel like no man will want me, especially if there is a chance that I may have a hard time having kids. It's dumb, I know, but the fact that no one around me understands just makes it all that much worse. Like last night when my brother pointed out how thin my hair is and I explained to him that it's been falling out and I think it's the Hashi's, he told me that he didn't understand the big deal about this, why I have to "ake medicine and change my diet when I've had this for years. It's obvious I'm not dying and I'm just doing it for attention. It hurts to know my family feels that way, just because I won't eat the same things they do, or because my medicine isn't working right and I feel even crazier than before... I just don't want it to get worse. I'm scared if I don't take care of it then I will end up with Diabete's and an enlarged heart with 4 heart attacks like my mom, or lymphoma like my grandmother, or dementia. I know those are extremes but still. Then there is the fact that one day I want to be able to have a family when the day comes. Maybe I am being melodramatic about it? I just hope that by being here I can read and see and know other people and know that I'm not alone and have people to get advice from and discuss things with and even rant and cry about how much this sucks! lol.

Anyway, Treating with medication and AIP diet so hopefully I can get to feeling like a normal person again (and hopefully stop my long hair from falling out!!!!) lol.

Thanks for reading, y'all. And Good Health to you all!
  • soupandlettuce
    Options
    Hi Mia,
    Hope you feel better soon. Ignore unsupportive family and friends, I even have doctors in my family and they have been far from sympathetic! I find that I doubt myself at times and just 'tough it out', that's the dangerous time when I stop going to the doctor and neglecting my follow-ups.
    Thyroid issues are chronic, lifelong. Symptoms can wax and wane so you won't feel the same all the time so regular bloodwork is necessary and dosage of meds also need to change.
    Autoimmune diseases go hand in hand. I 'just' figured out I have a host of ai issues going back years!
    People can scoff, but if you could see my reaction to eating pineap
  • soupandlettuce
    Options
    Hi Mia,
    Hope you feel better soon. Ignore unsupportive family and friends, I even have doctors in my family and they have been far from sympathetic! I find that I doubt myself at times and just 'tough it out', that's the dangerous time when I stop going to the doctor and neglecting my follow-ups.
    Thyroid issues are chronic, lifelong. Symptoms can wax and wane so you won't feel the same all the time so regular bloodwork is necessary and dosage of meds also need to change.
    Autoimmune diseases go hand in hand. I figured out I have a host of ai issues going back years!
    People can scoff, but if you could see my reaction to eating pineapple (it's not pretty), you would never doubt I had an allergy to them. Other intolerances aren't visible, they result in brain fog, fatigue, weight gain etc. even weird things like sensitivity to light and noise, people just think you're crazy or making things up! There are people who understand, though, those with the same affliction! Vent all you want here, it may help you get through a bad day.
    Don't give up!

Sorry for repeat post! It was late and me so tired :)
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Hi Mia,
    Autoimmune diseases go hand in hand. I figured out I have a host of ai issues going back years!
    People can scoff, but if you could see my reaction to eating pineapple (it's not pretty), you would never doubt I had an allergy to them. Other intolerances aren't visible, they result in brain fog, fatigue, weight gain etc. even weird things like sensitivity to light and noise, people just think you're crazy or making things up! There are people who understand, though, those with the same affliction! Vent all you want here, it may help you get through a bad day.
    Don't give up!

Sorry for repeat post! It was late and me so tired :)

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate that! it's nice to know that there are people out there that actually DO understand what I'm going through. It's just so hard for me to figure out what I'm sensative to. I'm just proud that I am REALLY sticking to this AIP diet, even though everyone thinks it's silly and too restrictive. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Really? Not even one little bite? That's sillly..." but I'm afraid if I eat anything outside the list then it will mess up the whole testing process to see what I react to and what I don't. How did you figure out what you were sensative to? Did you keep a food diary and a list of things experienced throughout the day? And then try it again to see if you get the same reaction?
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Mia! You definitely are not alone! I've had to deal with unsupportive family members too...I think sometimes it's more they refuse to understand what I've tried to explain to them about why it's important to eat the way I do. The hubby tries to be supportive but then he'll make comments to others how when we go out to eat what a pain in the *kitten* it is for him that I'm gluten free - don't get that but oh well, his issue not mine!

From my own experience, log EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth & the time it does, including supplements & meds. I've found a few triggers that way. I also track if I notice anything off physically or emotionally & the time I notice it. It's anal, but for me it helps.

No matter what, you need to keep doing what is right for you - sometimes that seems to be the hardest challenge of all.
  • bethfor
    Options
    Hello everyone! So glad I found this group!! Here's a little bit of my story...I was diagnosed in college and started on the meds. I was very active in high school and into college, so my weight gain was gradual. I tried may ways to lose and was successful by counting calories, losing 30 pounds. I then gained some back after getting married and even more after my 2 kids (but they are worth it!). I began with MFP and lost a few pounds but plateaued even though I was very diligent with eating only 1300 calories and was working out 60 min 3-4 times a week for over 8 months. I knew that with this and the symptoms I was having that I must need my medication increased. After getting blood work done and not needing any adjustments, I became VERY frustrated! I started doing research and found many suggestions from doctors and research that had been done that pointed to gluten intolerance in those with Hashimoto's. So, in effort and determination to "fix" myself I went gluten free (16 months ago). This was difficult for me to do and I stopped counting calories so that I could focus only on one thing. My exercise then gradually decreased as well. Now, at my top weight, I need to do something! I became active again with MFP and counting calories just 8 days ago. I also bought a FitBit One to monitor the calories I am burning more closely. I will lose weight this time!! After the past 8 days, I have lost 2 pounds, a good start and motivation to continue. I have also gotten more active with MFP in groups and finding support. Thank you to all of you who have shared your stories, frustrations, and motivations! We can do this together!!
  • soupandlettuce
    Options
    Hello everyone! So glad I found this group!! Here's a little bit of my story...I was diagnosed in college and started on the meds. I was very active in high school and into college, so my weight gain was gradual. I tried may ways to lose and was successful by counting calories, losing 30 pounds. I then gained some back after getting married and even more after my 2 kids (but they are worth it!). I began with MFP and lost a few pounds but plateaued even though I was very diligent with eating only 1300 calories and was working out 60 min 3-4 times a week for over 8 months. I knew that with this and the symptoms I was having that I must need my medication increased. After getting blood work done and not needing any adjustments, I became VERY frustrated! I started doing research and found many suggestions from doctors and research that had been done that pointed to gluten intolerance in those with Hashimoto's. So, in effort and determination to "fix" myself I went gluten free (16 months ago). This was difficult for me to do and I stopped counting calories so that I could focus only on one thing. My exercise then gradually decreased as well. Now, at my top weight, I need to do something! I became active again with MFP and counting calories just 8 days ago. I also bought a FitBit One to monitor the calories I am burning more closely. I will lose weight this time!! After the past 8 days, I have lost 2 pounds, a good start and motivation to continue. I have also gotten more active with MFP in groups and finding support. Thank you to all of you who have shared your stories, frustrations, and motivations! We can do this together!!

Hi!
    I have been trying gluten free also. Have you noticed any changes?
    I started it to see what would happen about joint pain( arthritis) that I've had years since being diagnosed with hashimotos.
    I don't want to take arthritis meds at a young age before I try everything else to try to reduce the inflammation.
    So far I found that by removing dairy from my diet my sinus problems have disappeared - I mean completely gone! I used to always have a stuffy nose and need to clear out sinuses in the morning- no more!
    Going gluten free, my joint pain seems to have reduced but not eliminated. But my feet that were very dry and cracked are now smoother without the constant use of pumice stone and lotions, my keratosis piliaris (chicken skin) is reducing and some dark dry patches on my ankles that I've had forever are fading away.
    I seem to have less dry skin than before. Also my digestive problems (a mix of ibs symptoms) plus gas and bloating have also pretty much disappeared. I am so relieved about the gas (sorry, it's so gross!) but I had really thought I was stuck with it forever.
    I was never a believer in restrictive diets, but with hashimotos you are already suffering from one autoimmune disease, and food sensitivities are also autoimmune related, so it's part of that spectrum. I don't think I can cut out much more, though. And if the joint pain doesn't fully disappear after my thyroid med adjustments and two/three months of gluten free diet, I am not confident that I can continue on a strict basis.
    My dairy free diet is less restrictive, and I have dairy maybe once it twice a month or so and can live with that.