Mild Low Back Soreness post workout?

Options
LadyDeadlift
LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
I've just about completed a month of Stronglifts & have loved (LOVED) every bit of it.

I'm looking for feedback about how I should expect my low back to feel post workout. Because a family member had serious back issues I'm super attentive to every twitch/sensation I feel in mine and try to take extra care to prevent injuries.

I stretch pre and post lifting; after workouts / particularly after deadlifting my low back feels tight and *like* it wants to become achy -- all muscular / no actual spine or disc pain but still localized around one area where I do have a mildly bulging disc. My workouts are most often in the evening and my back feels fine in the morning.

Is this usual? I'm guessing I've never effectively worked out my back before and I'm hoping this is just the regular sensation of excercise & gaining strength.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    First I would not advise stretching before lifting. It tires the muscles out. Secondly, I used to get lower back pain when my Deadlift and Row form was off. Maybe try to work on form?
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine ached off & on for about a month when i started lifting heavy. I think it was just catching up to the heavier weights. I fell in love with the stretch machine at my gym and would use that every day!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Always make sure you warm up for each lift with lighter weights (maybe instead of too much stretching). I have gotten to the point that my low back pain is relieved by lifting, so maybe mine is muscle tightness. I get soreness if I haven't lifted for a couple days, then it gets better as soon as I get back to it.

but if I don't warm up, it gets worse before it gets better.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I think stretching before workouts probably varies by the individual. I find I do better if I stretch pre-lifting. I do both static and dynamic stretching, and also roll out like luda. You should definitely try different things until you find what works for you though.

Does your back hurt after a particular lift or just in general? It could be a form issue it could just be your erectors aren't really used to picking too much up and are getting tight.
  • LadyDeadlift
    Options
    These are all good suggestions. I looked up images of the erector muscles and I think this corresponds to those. Next workout tomorrow morning I'll pay attention to precisely where I'm feeling 'things'

I'm also going to try doing only dynamic stretching prior to lifting. I do always perform warmup sets so that base is covered.

I'll see if I can take some form video to do a check... I haven't tried this before so I'll have to figure out the logistics of phone placement, etc.

Thanks for your comments!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I had been plagued by low back pain for years, and since I never bothered to really train with weights or dedicated resistance training, my core was super weak, and so my back would act up every time I deadlifted.

I eventually had to slow down the weight increase, and some months later things are much better since my core has had a chance to get stronger. I'm now on a program where I increase reps every week and weights every 5 weeks only by about 2.5 pounds (5 for deadlifts). It's slow going but definitely paying off. I will probably revisit Stronglifts or another 5x5 at some point but right now I'm very happy with what I'm doing.

Not saying you need to quit Stronglifts or anything, but do mind your back and allow your core to catch up. Do extra core strengthening if you need to. It'll be well worth it. If you already know your erectors are weak, focus on giving them a bit of extra TLC. It's not that hard, really, and there's a wide array of exercises to choose from.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Take a look at this link below, it was the dynamic stretching video that was recommended to me to do prior to squats or deadlifts. It takes between 7-10 minutes, and I've had some good results from it.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8
  • LadyDeadlift
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I figured I'd come back and update how things are in case someone else finds this thread with the same question.

In short: less and less low back twingy-ness with every work out. In fact the last time I deadlifted + squats on the same workout there was almost no back symptoms at all.

I've been adding weight with every workout per SL (vs. not loading out of concern).

I decided that the feelings I was having were more similar to sorenss and growth of strengthening muscles than they were to serious issues -- I watched my form and listened to my body and just did the workouts and everything is alright!

Woot!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I figured I'd come back and update how things are in case someone else finds this thread with the same question.

In short: less and less low back twingy-ness with every work out. In fact the last time I deadlifted + squats on the same workout there was almost no back symptoms at all.

I've been adding weight with every workout per SL (vs. not loading out of concern).

I decided that the feelings I was having were more similar to sorenss and growth of strengthening muscles than they were to serious issues -- I watched my form and listened to my body and just did the workouts and everything is alright!

Woot!

Yay, that's great news!
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Try some dynamic stretches before your workout. I had a heavy DL day yesterday and my back muscles are surely feeling it today. I like to do a little yoga when my back gets like this.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do this before every workout and have not experienced fatigue in my muscles, but rather a better range of motion in my squats. It has healed my boyfriend's hip pains while lifting, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

But I want to make everybody aware... if you feel like something is wrong, get it checked out! I had pain for a while, didn't think it was anything serious, continued lifting through it and totally screwed up a disc. It has taken a year to heal, but it is something I am well aware of now. It still becomes aggravated and inflamed in that area... if you get that inflammation, immediately ice your back after your workouts to get that inflammation down.