Running

Options
Okay so here is the deal. I am not a runner. I suck at it. I am at least 60 pounds overweight so I find running difficult. However, I also see it as a challenge -- one I want to improve on!

Here is my question. My last timed mile was at 11:30 - do you all have some suggestions on how I can get faster. I feel like a snail :(

Thanks!

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    yes! instead of just doing 1 milers each time you run, try doing different things...like...monday do a mile, wednesday go to a HS track and do sprint intervals (50m, 100m, 200m a couple times each, time yourself each time and aim to take off a second or so each time). friday maybe run 3/4 mile where you spend 10 seconds walking, 10 seconds jogging, and 10 seconds sprinting, repeat until you finish the run. sat or sunday try running a mile with weight, not much, like 10 pounds.

adding variance to the way you run will dramatically improve your mile time.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    SO glad I'm not the only non-runner :P
    I have never ever liked running and I've never been good at it. I tried to be a runner a while ago but after 2 weeks of running and doing intervals I gave up - I wasn't enjoying a single second of it.
    I always groan when I see the running WODs on the whiteboard, but I've never not completed one because of it. That said, I am trying to get better at running at the moment. Not in any specific or structured way, but just spending some extra time each week running.
    For me I think it's more of a mental struggle than anything else. I'm fit enough to run, but I just hate it. Which I guess at some point I need to get over...
    But yes, interval training etc will help you improve, and just pushing through a little faster or further than you normally would.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    yes! instead of just doing 1 milers each time you run, try doing different things...like...monday do a mile, wednesday go to a HS track and do sprint intervals (50m, 100m, 200m a couple times each, time yourself each time and aim to take off a second or so each time). friday maybe run 3/4 mile where you spend 10 seconds walking, 10 seconds jogging, and 10 seconds sprinting, repeat until you finish the run. sat or sunday try running a mile with weight, not much, like 10 pounds.

Thanks for all of the ideas. These are ALL things I can try! :)
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    SO glad I'm not the only non-runner :P
    I have never ever liked running and I've never been good at it. I tried to be a runner a while ago but after 2 weeks of running and doing intervals I gave up - I wasn't enjoying a single second of it.
    I always groan when I see the running WODs on the whiteboard, but I've never not completed one because of it. That said, I am trying to get better at running at the moment. Not in any specific or structured way, but just spending some extra time each week running.
    For me I think it's more of a mental struggle than anything else. I'm fit enough to run, but I just hate it. Which I guess at some point I need to get over...
    But yes, interval training etc will help you improve, and just pushing through a little faster or further than you normally would.

Thanks for the support - It is nice to know I am not the only one that hates to run!
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Another fun way to "get into running" is to sign up for a local 5k. Most 5k races can be run, jogged, walked or crawled. They have everything from marathoners (speedsters), casual runners, people who are reaching a 1st 5k goal, families, kids, etc. People come to these in all shapes, sizes and abilities. They are always a good time. And most 5k races are for a charitable benfit or organization - which is an added bonus. There are even some that have a specific theme (holidays, zombies, bright colors, etc) or allow teams to enter, so get your box to do one. **My favorite 5k races offer a tech-shirt and a free-beer at the end of the race. They usually cost around $20-$30 per race, which is not bad. This is how I got started (*I ran for beer*) . . . Now I'm running 10ks and did my 1st half-marathon last fall.

2014 Goal - I'm shooting for a full marathon.

BTW - I HATE running - but I love to compete and cross that finish line !!!!
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    Excellent idea! I have only done one 5K and it was last memorial day weekend. I did enjoy it, even though my time was slow! This is a great idea to motivate me to beat that time! :)
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "I ran for beer" ...that's great lol
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

One interval track workout that I did a few times this summer and felt like it did some good was this.

100m sprint/run, then walk the same amount of time as the sprint (as a rough estimate I'd walk half the distance I'd run before running again)
    200m interval, walk 100m
    400m interval, walk 200m
    800m interval, walk 400m
    400m interval, walk 200
    200m interval, walk 100
    100m interval then a few laps to cool down.

Do that, record your times if you can and then test it again in a few months.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Okay so here is the deal. I am not a runner. I suck at it. I am at least 60 pounds overweight so I find running difficult. However, I also see it as a challenge -- one I want to improve on!

Here is my question. My last timed mile was at 11:30 - do you all have some suggestions on how I can get faster. I feel like a snail :(

Thanks!

The Nike Running app has a "coach" feature which has all kinds of programs that can help you to become more proficient and even train for distance runs. Also, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Good shoes make all the difference. :-)

Good luck! I am rooting for you!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I'd also add that some work on your form would be a great idea, especially if you are a heel-striker.

The book The Cool Impossible is particularly good. I've been working to become more of a mid-foot/front foot striker. It's much more efficient and much less stress on your legs (which will probably increase your enjoyment of running.)
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    This is a great idea - I will have to wait a bit for the snow to melt! ;)
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    What's funny about the whole thing is that all of my kids and husband are runners. My girls competed in the state cross country the last two years. I might ask the coach to watch me run - maybe he can give me some pointers.
  • rachelannecraig
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Thanks!

The Nike Running app has a "coach" feature which has all kinds of programs that can help you to become more proficient and even train for distance runs. Also, go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. Good shoes make all the difference. :-)

Good luck! I am rooting for you!
    [/quote]
  • gsop22
    gsop22 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had done a C25K app( best 2 bucks I every spent) on my phone before I started Crossfit and that helped tremendously with my running. It was about 3 month and running every other day. Great program and ramped you up slowly. I must say I hated to run and about half way through the program I started to enjoy it. I still am not a fast runner but much improved.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    This is a great idea - I will have to wait a bit for the snow to melt! ;)

Bah!

I live in Boston. T here are plenty of cleared trails around here, I'm sure it would be similar in your neck of the woods.

I actually enjoy running in cool weather since overheating is always a problem for me.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I had done a C25K app( best 2 bucks I every spent) on my phone before I started Crossfit and that helped tremendously with my running. It was about 3 month and running every other day. Great program and ramped you up slowly. I must say I hated to run and about half way through the program I started to enjoy it. I still am not a fast runner but much improved.

Agreed. C25K is a great way to get started
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    What's funny about the whole thing is that all of my kids and husband are runners. My girls competed in the state cross country the last two years. I might ask the coach to watch me run - maybe he can give me some pointers.

I live in Southern NH, so I can relate to the whole "snow/ice/cold" thing that you speak of ;-)

I think asking your daughter's coach would be an excellent idea - Hey maybe even they can watch you run and give you some tips too?!?!? I have also used the C2K running app and it kept me going to get me to my 1st 5k. Cycling (stationary bike) or Spin also helps increase your cardiovascular endurance.

I will say the best advice that was given to me (to get motivated) was to just sign-up for a 5k. Once you have signed-up, it will give you a target date you will need to plan/train for. Nothing motivates like a deadline !!!

Good Luck !!!
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hate running too!

I've done 10km races in the past but my knees have given me endless problems. I haven't run in ages as a result. But if I want to carry on doing obstacle races I'm going to have to get back into running :-( Woe is me...