Humira?

Options
Ritzbrit
Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
I had a rheumatology appointment yesterday and my doc wants to switch me to Humira injections, ugh! My current meds aren't doing enough I guess. I was afraid it'd come to this cause my little sis also has RA and has been doing injections for the past year. Unfortunately, it's not working for her. Anyone else do Humira injections? Thoughts on it? Has it worked for you? I just want to lead a normal, active life as much as possible. I'm only 28 years old. I'm trying not to freak out about injecting myself but I can't help but be upset about it.

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I haven't been on Humira, but I was on Remicade when I was about 22. I had to go in every 6 (or maybe 8) weeks for an IV infusion of it. I hated going in, but I loved the results. It worked really well for me and I was eventually able to wean off of it and Methotrexate completely.

Good luck to you; I really hope Humira helps!
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yeah my sister is at the point where she has to do the IV :(
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I took Humira for a bit. I didn't like giving myself the injections at all, and it didn't seem to make me feel any better. It did give me horrible headaches though so I took myself off of it. My doctor said the Humira couldn't possibly have been causing the headaches...but funnily enough, they went away after I stopped taking it. Some people I know love it and had good success on it for awhile.
  • CSK1981
    CSK1981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have RA too, since i was 23 and i'm gonna be 32 in June, i've tried Humira, after one injection, i couldn't do another, it was painful for me, burned really bad, i've also tried Remicade for a small period, than Embrel, they both worked but eventually stopped. For the past 5 years, i've been on an injection called Kineret, it's worked wonders for me, i've even been able to stop all my pill meds except for Plaquenil.
  • Ce87girl
    Ce87girl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have Psoriatic Arthritis - not RA - but it's fairly similar. My case developed when I was around 18, and was so aggressive I was put on Humira by the time I turned 20. I'll be 26 this July.

It really helped me. Don't get me wrong, I hate it. But I take out my injection pen and let it sit on the counter for at least 15 minutes before even attempting. Otherwise it stings and hurts way too much to go through with it. I will say, Humira along with Methotrexate and Celebrex stopped my aggressive and destructive symptoms. I have since stopped Methotrexate and take Celebrex on an "as needed" basis but still take Humira. And I probably will until they can come up with something less expensive and invasive.

I would love it if it came in a tablet or something.
  • ShayShon
    ShayShon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Humira did not work for me at all. Hope you have better luck and find relief.
  • jen076
    jen076 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Humira for six years and it has done wonders for me. I am actually mobile again. I have been on methotrexate as well but it wasn't doing enough so my doctor put me on Humira. I thought it was a fate worse than death that I had to give myself an injection. I use the Humira pen and it takes me 3 minutes tops. I think the Pen is made for people like me that hate needles. I knew I didn't want to do the IV if I didn't have to.
  • lratliff
    lratliff Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried humira, and it helped, but not as much as my doctor and I hoped, so I switched to enbrel, and it worked much better.I was completely freaked out by doing the injections (methotrexate and enbrel) but after a few months, it wasn't such a big deal. Hope it works for you!
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was on Humira for about 6-7 months before I started having allergic reactions at the injection site so the doc said no more. There was no way in heck that I was going to inject myself! Luckily, my doctor's office let me go into the office so nurse could give it to me at no extra cost. They even sprayed the cold spray to numb the area! =P I definitely recommend letting it sit out for 15-20 minutes because the colder it is, the more it burns.

The way I see it, if a treatment helps the RA inflammation, why not give it a try?
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was on Enbrel for over 15 years (and did great) and then lost all insurance coverage for about 2 years. My rheumatologist put me on me to Humira (pens) because it cost less than half of the Enbrel and "does basically the same thing". After 6+ months, I had NO improvement, and my doctor switched me back to Enbrel as soon as I was able to get insurance again. Two months later my pain level seems to be much better and I'm having less audible grinding when I move. It all just depends on how your body reacts to it, but it takes a few months to know for sure.

On a side note, after so many years of injecting into the thighs, when I switched to the pen, it literally bounced off. I had to switch to the stomach skin to get the pen to be able to get through the scar tissue. The pen was easier, but with a syringe, I could use more force if needed. The first few times, it's a little nerve wracking, but you get used to doing the injections pretty quickly.
  • Rnra1954
    Rnra1954 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have taken Humira for several years. I take it one time per week. It has helped me more than anything. Pain is a lot less. Occasional flares but not as bad as prior to Humira.