Crunches?

justjenny
justjenny Posts: 529 Member
I had a doctor appt on Monday and asked her about working out. She said whatever I have been doing, I can continue to do. I told her I have been doing crunches and she said I can still continue to do them, until I feel I can't anymore. Just wondering if anyone else has done, and continued to do crunches throughout their pregnancy? If so, do you feel you had an "easier" labor, since your core muscles were still strong?

Replies

• momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    there are lots of other exercise to work your core like planks and pelvic tilts. Regular abdominal crunches are generally not recommended during pregnancy after the first trimester, since it can cause diastisis recti.
  • justjenny
    Yeah, I asked her about that. She said that diastisis recti can happen just fo rom being pregnant, and that whatever I am doing is fine, as long as I continue to work out.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    My personal trainer is certified in prenatal fitness and has me doing modified crunches on an exercise ball so i'm not actually lying down on my back
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Having stronger abs will probably help keep you from getting diastasis recti but if you do crunches with separated abs it will exacerbate the separation.

If it's an easier labor you're looking for, make sure you don't cancel out all your hard work - websites like spinning babies can help you figure out if your baby is in the right position for delivery. I was a fat lump when I delivered my second child, but pushing was easy because of the "work" I did before hand (this "work" I speak of involves sitting with good posture and using lots of pillows at night).
  • justjenny
    Thanks for the info girls! Dandelyon, I think you are on to something. I have always worked out, I can't imagine strong abs being a bad thing. I am not going to overdo it, and as long as the doctor is not worried, I won't be either...:wink:
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    I think crunches are good, but it's good to do a variety of ab exercises. I do teapots, planks and side planks. Crunches on a ball where you keep looking up at the ceiling are also great for working the top of your abs (even if you're not pregnant)
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    I still do abs but I do more planks and ball workouts and you start to feel when they aren't so comfortable so you will know when to stop. Also a weighted ball while standing is a good one too :)