Gluten Free and Nut Free

Options
Hello everyone. I'm not new to be gluten free or to being overweight trying to lose weight as both have been issues for most of my adult life, haha.

Anyway, I also have a very severe tree nut allergy. It's to the point where my arm accidentally touched pecan salt once and my arm got burns from it when I wiped the salt off. I would not kiss my SO if they had eaten something with nuts- brush your teeth. It's very scary.

My question is, what are some good snacks and gluten free substitutes that do not contain nuts. I feel like many of the healthier options and substitutes for someone who is gluten free contain nuts. For example, there are nut thin crackers, nut flour, nut bread, nut oil- I honestly get nervous buying gluten free products because there might be nuts in it, even though I have been doing this for years and years. And when you ask people what is a good snack- 70% of the time it's to eat almonds or mixed nuts. Almonds could kill me, so obviously that's not going to work for me.

I wish I could eat nuts because it would make being gluten free exponentially easier. I used to love to eat chips or crackers as a snack. I realize it's unhealthy, but I feel like nuts would be decent substitute because of the salt and accessibility. Mostly, I'm looking for gluten free snacks that are satisfying and filling and gluten free substitutes that at healthy- or at least low calorie.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm also nut, and peanut, free. It kinda sucks lol.

Can you eat peanuts? Seeds? (Pumpkin, sunflower) popcorn, rice crackers, rice cakes, popchips?
  • FatSLPSally
    Options
    Yeah, I can eat peanuts and seeds. However, my tree nut allergy is really severe. So, if the label says "made in the same facility" or "may contain traces of" tree nut- can't have it.

I have also learned I cannot keep rice crackers in my house because I will eat half the box, or the whole box for that matter, in one sitting. I also loooove rice crackers with a laughing cow cheese wedge or with some other slice of cheese. I've had to get them all out of my house because it's too easy access. It helps me snack less if I have prepare a snack or something the only quick option is something I don't love. The eating chips and crackers as a snack thing I mentioned were rice crackers. They're a no-no for me until I get myself more under control.

Thanks for the reply!
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use Pintrest for gluten free recipes, you are welcome to follow me (search boards for one of the following - Clean & Gluten-Free Appetizers, Clean & Gluten-Free Baking, Clean & Gluten-Free Mains, Clean & Gluten-Free Salads, Clean & Gluten-Free Soups).

A local business (Regina, SK Canada) posted this snack recipe, I am going to try it this weekend:

Ingredients:
    2 oz dark chocolate
    1 tbs coconut oil
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4 cups Rice Chex cereal (gluten free)
    1/4 cup vanilla protein powder

How to:
    In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate together over low heat. Once melted and smooth, stir in protein and vanilla extract. Place Chex cereal in a large mixing bowl and pour melted chocolate mixture over the top of the cereal. Mix thoroughly until all cereal is coated. Place cereal in a large ziplock bag with protein powder and shake until coated.
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am also gluten free. I use alot of rice flour and rice products. Corn procucts are ok, but rice is easier to deal with and has a better taste. For snacks I cannot keep corn chips and salsa in my house. Quinoa is also good and has a great taste. Bobs red mill makes a whole line of baking items. They are in most grocery stores.
  • laurajosie
    laurajosie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have anaphylactic reactions to tree nuts, specifically pecans, walnuts and cashews (that I know of). It is hard to follow healthy eating plans because they all say to "grab a handful of nuts" to snack on if you get hungry (which is of course not an option, I've never even eaten a whole nut). I can actually smell if there are nuts in the room (sitting in an uncovered dish, for example) or in the oven, and they smell disgusting. I'm really not sure why anyone would WANT to eat them! lol

There are companies that make nut-free sunflower seeds (and pumpkin seeds) - both Go Raw and Gerbs are safe. There is also sunbutter, an alternative to peanut/almond/other nut-butters, which is gluten, peanut, and tree nut free. If you can find oats that you feel safe with, you can make no-bake sunbutter balls. If you like beans you can make some spiced oven-baked chickpeas and snack on those, too, and there are bean-based cookie and brownie recipes as well, which call for less flour (usually ground oats, I grind my oatmeal up in the blender and use that) and are healthier anyway. When it comes to baking I often substitute coconut flour when a recipe calls for almond flour. Another thing that is useful is to search for protein powder recipes, which are usually pretty healthy to begin with and can be made gluten-free easily (protein will fill you up better). If you are looking for an "unhealthy" treat, all of the Enjoy Life foods are nut and gluten free (they have "granola" bars, granola, cookies, chocolate bars, etc), Kinnikinnick has a lot of nut-and-gluten free foods (cookies, "oreos"), and Udi's has bagels, pizza crust, and bread that is nut free (although their granola is not, but the packaging for the breads specifically says "dairy, nut, and gluten free" so they much process the granola separately). While there are gluten-free companies that make products with nuts, there are also a lot of companies that make their products free of as many allergens as possible, you just have to check labels. :)

Bob's Red Mill isn't nut-safe, as far as I can tell, and not all of their flours are gluten free either, so you have to be careful. I mostly use Glutino brand all-purpose gf flour or King Arthur Flour's all-purpose gf flour, and GF Harvest has gluten and nut free oatmeal.