Exercise

Options
I'm curious what others are doing to exercise. I've been trying to walk (weather permitting), but that was getting dull. A friend gave me a copy of Dance Floor 2014 for xmas, so I tried that today. Going to take a stab at Xbox Fitness later.

Has anyone else found anything good along those lines?

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends how far out from surgery you are, and what your surgeon recommends. I was told to stick to walking for the first 4 weeks, and after that I was given the ok to do whatever kind of cardio I wanted to do, so I started using the elliptical at the gym again. I was told I should wait until 12 weeks to do any strength training, and I started that again last week. Just make sure you don't overdo it when trying new things!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @garber6th is on the money. Check with your Dr. For me; Walked at home for 4 weeks, into gym for treadmill cardio at the 4 week mark. Started strength training (arms, shoulders, chest, back and legs) at 6 weeks. NO ABDOMINAL workouts for 8 weeks minimum. Hitting the weights helps prevent you from losing muscle, firms you up and helps minimize some looseness. Fat is dropping off me like water and I am gaining arm and chest muscle mass.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I've been walking since surgery, added a pilates machine and then an exercise bike as the surgeon let me. Recently started working with free weights. Because of the amount of protein we get, there's very little muscle loss as the weight drops off, but we do need to build more. That's why the strength training. Muscle burns fat, so the more muscle you have the more weight you lose or the faster you lose.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am over 18 months out so check with your surgical team always first.

I trail run as much as I can, I only started getting really serious about exercise at about 10 months out. It has changed my body and mind tremendously.

I can't say enough about weight training, it will make you a lean machine. Do it as soon as your able. I wish I knew the importance then I wouldn't be playing catch up.

I exercise 5 days a week. If I can't run I do.....step aerobics, belly dancing, crossfit class, or videos from fitness blender (free on youtube or directly on thier website). They are great training videos with everything from stretching to HIIT. Any fitness level or training style. I particularly like the kick boxing and pilates. Check them out.

Happy moving.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I am 50 days out and I am moving from walking to swimming and light wt training
  • Dacia327
    Dacia327 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on YouTube rock. I have added these to my workout and they kick my butt. Here is the link. http://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender?feature=watch. I also weight train with heavy weights 3 times a week, walk 2 miles a day, squats and lunges and come Monday we are starting an ab challenge,
  • spooky228
    Options
    I was NEVER one to exercise. I am 60 yrs. young. My Dr. told me about a small local gym that had a good
    Phys. Trainer that would make me a routine that was made for my needs. Since I have arthritis, and a bad
    ankle and knee. I have gone for 6 months at a discounted rate for the first 6 months.
    I have met people younger and older and we are all doing it together. It helps me to have a support system
    and people that are pulling for you. Good Luck BTW, with the discount my gym is $20 a month and will
    go up to $40 a month. My support person (husband) gets the same discount. For me the $40 a month
    will still be worth it. Good Luck!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Common threads: get out and do something as soon as you can. Strength training as early as your Dr. will approve.

BTW: The social aspect of the gym and a personal trainer are really hard to beat. We need to see ourselves diffently as our bodies change. Positive support by a trainer, gym staff and workout partners really helps motivate.