What the heck to make for dinner? Bored eating

Options
Hi everyone! I'm so tired of trying to think of what to make for a meal for my hubby and I that have both had vsg! The fridge is always full of leftovers? Any suggestions?. 10 bites in and you're full!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating so far? Do any foods give you problems?

I know it's hard to cook when there are so many leftovers.I try not to keep too many leftovers in the fridge, where I will feel obligated to eat them for days in a row.

I do a lot of prepping and freezing - I made a pot of turkey chili and I froze most of it in half cup portions, I bought some El Pollo Loco chicken, I took the meat off the bones, chopped it up, and froze it in two ounce portions. I made some buffalo chicken meatballs for company recently, and I froze leftovers in portions of two pieces for me to use easily.

I eat veggie burgers (there are some that are 15g of protein each) with low fat cheese. Sometimes I will eat one scrambled egg with an oz of finely chopped ham and some low fat cheese. I make chicken salad with greek yogurt instead of mayo and add garlic and herbs to it. I also got some Amylu brand chicken burgers from Costco, I only eat half of one at a time, you and your husband could probably split one.

I am trying to eat more of a variety so I don't get bored. The only resolution I made for the new year is to try one new thing every two weeks. The only reason I decided on two weeks is because everything lasts SO much longer for me now!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I sympathize. I'm still learning to cook small. My 3 go to tricks for using up leftovers is soup, omelet or quiche. My brother shoves all leftovers in a quesadilla. I also offer my food to other family members . I don't know what I was thinking soaking a whole cup of black eyed peas for the New year. Now I have 2 cups of them in the fridge :)
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of and/or checked out a Blog called TheWorldAccordingtoEggface? She has a ton of recipes for WLS patients. I may not like them all, but many of those we've tried are really good.

If nothing else, it may give you some ideas of things to do.

My wife and I both had the surgery May 1, 2013. As of the six month mark we found we really had to start watching calorie intake using MFP. Of course we have a young adult still living at home who takes care of most "left over" issues.

Best of luck to you!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    What have you been eating so far? Do any foods give you problems?

I know it's hard to cook when there are so many leftovers.I try not to keep too many leftovers in the fridge, where I will feel obligated to eat them for days in a row.

I do a lot of prepping and freezing - I made a pot of turkey chili and I froze most of it in half cup portions, I bought some El Pollo Loco chicken, I took the meat off the bones, chopped it up, and froze it in two ounce portions. I made some buffalo chicken meatballs for company recently, and I froze leftovers in portions of two pieces for me to use easily.

I eat veggie burgers (there are some that are 15g of protein each) with low fat cheese. Sometimes I will eat one scrambled egg with an oz of finely chopped ham and some low fat cheese. I make chicken salad with greek yogurt instead of mayo and add garlic and herbs to it. I also got some Amylu brand chicken burgers from Costco, I only eat half of one at a time, you and your husband could probably split one.

I am trying to eat more of a variety so I don't get bored. The only resolution I made for the new year is to try one new thing every two weeks. The only reason I decided on two weeks is because everything lasts SO much longer for me now!
    I am going to start shopping with my mother in law at SAMs club so we can split the frozen shrimp and fish, bags of avocados and asparagus. I agree with the variety statement. Since I am no longer eating my Kryptonite foods I bore easily after 2 meals of the same dish. This was not expected but I am submitting to the reality.
  • dsagel
    dsagel Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am having a problem with left overs! I can't seem to cook the right amount! I have decided that I will take leftovers for lunch each day but anything left over from that is going in the garbage. It usually ends up there anyway. I have been freezing soups, bean and lentil dishes just so they are there when I can't think of anything else to cook. I am not able to eat lettuce yet (hopefully will be able to at some point) and I love salads which is making it even more difficult. I have been making an effort to buy smaller packages at the store but that only works sometimes. I appreciate all of the suggestions here!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Some of our old habits, like buying in bulk at Sam's, might not be the best strategy for our new reality. I have three teenagers, plus my wife, so we can still cook larger meals. For me I have found that having a good butcher who can cut and trim my meats to the proper portion sizes is the best, and most cost efficient, option. We also got an electronic food scale.

Just select the protein that you want to eat and cook the correct amount for you (roughly 6oz post cooking) and you will minimize leftover waste. You will also find that your existing food budget will now afford you the options of much better cuts of meat since you are buying much less.

6oz petite filet mignone is my favorite. Salmon/Tuna steaks and filets tend to come prepackaged in 16oz sizes (just cut them in thirds). Otherwise a fish market will do it for you. A butcher will cut you 6oz pork chops and chicken cutlets. An 8 oz sirloin or strip steak will cook down to 6oz. If the precooked weight includes a bone you can factor that in.

Ground beef can be pan fried using various flavors (Spanish, Asian ect) which taste great as a "Beef Crumble" that can be packed up for lunch. You can also make a nice meatloaf or bunless burger.

Many options once you learn what works for you.
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I make what I call "salad-bar soup" - I hit the salad bar and just get a small amount of onion, celery, carrot, spinach, beans, whatever, and use that as a base for soup. I always have homemade frozen stock in the freezer as well as canned no-salt tomatoes hanging around. I find that buying the fewest, freshest ingredients, I don't overcook and I can change up my routine daily if needed. Doesn't have to be soup, this works for chili, salads, grain-based sides (I'm vegetarian).
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky in that I can pretty much eat whatever I want as long as I eat slowly and don't over-do it. I make and freeze a ton, but I've always been kind of a "once a week cook". I just make half as much now and still freeze a lot. In addition to what others have said, I keep frozen turkey meatballs provolone cheese and pasta sauce around. Makes a yummy and high protein meal in minutes and you don't have to plan for it. I also keep cooked frozen shrimp, (from Sams). I've recently developed a fixation with Chipolte carnitas tacos. I love that they'll sell you just one and its a high protein treat and under 200 cal. Not wanting to do "fast food" so much, I decided I'd try making the shredded pork myself. Left a pork loin cooking in the crock pot today and have some sore-bought "fresh" pico to go with it. We'll see how that goes!
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My "go to" is a whole chicken (I cook mine in the smoker but rotisserie is great too). Here are some ideas for meals that I use frequently with the chicken.
    1. Chicken with enchilada sauce frozen corn and cheese
    2. Chicken withchopped aple walnuts celery vanilla greek yogurt
    3. Chicken with franks red hot blue cheese crumbles and eaten with celery
    4. Over lettuce with black beans corn and taco seasoning
    5. Over lettuce with crum, bled feta cucumber tomato kalamata olive and greek vinegrette
    6. Mixed with chopped celery raisins/apple chopped cashew and greek yogurt with curry powder
    7. Mixed with sauté onion and peppers in a tumaro wrap
    8. Mixed with red onion celery fresh dill and mayo+greek yogurt
    9. Over a 1/2 a baked sweet potato with sprinkle of cinnamon, chopped walnut and drizzle SF maple
    10. Mixed with artichoke hearts tomatoe and sprinkled with dry italian dressing mix.

I eat low carb so modify for your eating style but if you cook one chicken a week and keep the additions on hand leftovers are delicious. I sometimes portion mine and freeze to add also.