How Long Did It Take?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm heading to an information session tomorrow about weight loss surgery and based on research I've done, I am leaning toward getting the sleeve (based on the surgeon's recommendation, of course!)

I was curious to see how long the process took for all of you from start to surgery? I'm eager to start the process, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment in thinking that I can knock this out in weeks (I'm exaggerating a bit) when the reality is more like many months.

I'm sure it's been different for everyone, but I'm just conducting a non-scientific poll.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• plmelquist
    Options
    Hi there,

It seems 3-6 months is the norm, depending on insurance, of course. I'm in the process of my nutrition visits (2nd one on the 20th) and my psych visit the same day....

Good luck. I'm Patty!!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada and I go for my first visit on Wed Jan 15 after waiting 18 months to get that call.
    I don't know how long it will be for me, but a good friend of mine had the sleeve done, and she said she went for her first visit in May, and had her surgery 11 months later in April.

So I am expecting it will be about a year for me, although with my work schedule I might have to put it off until the following June.

I'd LOVE to have it done this June, but we will see :)
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For me it was super quick. I went to an info session on 5/14, had my first pre-op visit on 5/20 and had surgery on 7/8. I was lucky that my insurance company did not require a long waiting period or a specific # of lbs lost. My BMI was 43 and I had asthma and high blood pressure. I was approved right away. Good luck!
  • 1202newme
    Options
    I am self paid because my ins would not cover my surgery. My first appointment was December 13 th and them my pre- op was done the week of Christmas. I had surgery this past Monday.
  • kimmysleeved
    kimmysleeved Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also was self-pay. I saw the bariatician in July, the surgeon in August, and was sleeved in September. I started at 253.5 with no co-morbidities. Money talks and walks, as they say.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had my first visit on 5/31/2013 and had surgery 12/30/2013 - so, about 7 months. My BMI was 38 but I had High BP, sleep apnea, high chol, etc. Had to do a 6 months physician supervised weight loss then took another 6 weeks to get in for surg. (everyone wanted their surgery before the end of the year!)
    Don't be discouraged if you have to wait for awhile, it will go fast and you will have time to prepare (I liked being mentally prepared as well as physically!)
    Good luck to you!
  • suzee279
    Options
    I had my first appointment with my doctor/Primary care and cardiologist the first week in October. Went to the information session October 18th and my surgery occured the following Jan 24th. I had a BMI of 50 with high blood pressure and cardiac complications, so I had to have a very rigorous approval process in order to be approved. The insurance did not argue it at all.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had an appointment with my PCP at the end of February where I got a referral to start the process. That referral appointment was a month later, and I was sleeved on October 16.
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    First surgeon meeting November of 2012, insurance snafu, real start to process late January 2013 with surgery May 1, 2013. Had meetings with psych and nutritionist to be cleared. Also had requirement for weightloss and three week liquid diet (abnormally long) before surgery.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started the process at my surgeon's office on Jan. 11, 2013. The medical group that my PCP is part of requires a minimum of 6 months before they even approve you to start getting all of the tests etc. done, so after 6 months I had the sleep study, saw the cardiologist, etc etc. I finally had my surgery Oct.9, 2013. Looking back, I am grateful I had all those months to prepare, mentally and physically.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm a slowpoke. 1 year from initial consultation to surgery. Just took my time with all the appointments to feel real comfortable with the process.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Six months of MD supervised dieting, seminars, support group meetings, nutrition and psych evaluations. It was good. Let me see 1st hand that this is only a tool, not a cure for food addictions. Gave me time to really let go of carbs. I had VSG 11/20/13 and I have lost 44 lbs. It has been a lot of work. Recovering from abdominal surgery(not pleasant) planning ahead for your meals. Tracking your protein and hydration. Not being able to eat just anything if you didn't plan well. Changes in your sense of taste. Having to develop new sustainable meals. It is surprising how you will become very bored of foods quickly. Now that I no longer eat my Kryptonite foods I have to keep trying new dishes to see what will fit my new lifestyle and still be interesting to eat. If you think you can eat all your old Kryptonite foods and be successful you would be mistaken. Many people have had wt loss surgery and refused to let go of their food addictions. They lose around 30 lbs, stall and just gain it all back. Pay attention when they tell you you will be on 650-800 calories a day after surgery. Mentally that is a challenge. Good luck!
  • melanieyeatts
    Options
    I just had surgery Thursday, Jan 9th so just 2 days post op!!! I was self pay and went to seminar Nov 19th, pre-op appointments in December but I chose to start pre-op diet after the holidays since all my children were going to be home and expecting me to cook a big meal. I started pre-op liquid diet Dec 26th and here I am 2 days out. Good luck on your journey.
  • thoughtaling76
    thoughtaling76 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had my information session in May had surgery in October...
  • jkern9110
    jkern9110 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I started with united health care. BMI>40 with no co-morbities required 6 months of a physician supervised diet, psych evaluation, documentation of failed weightloss from the past 3-5 years, etc. I had my consulation with my surgeon and started the 6 month physician supervised diet 3 weeks later. I complete 3 months worth and switched to BCBS. They approved me within two weeks. Due to work scheduling, I didn't do the surgery for another 8 weeks. All in all, it took me 60 months from consultation.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    My surgeon doesn't even meet the patient until all the insurance requirements are met, which typically includes 6 months physician assisted weight loss, dietitian and Psych visit, so when you show up for your first "consult" you have everything ready to submit to insurance. I did the 6 months with my PCP, dietitian and psych then started the process with the surgeon in early September. Went thru all the pre-op testing, etc., during the the rest of September and was sleeved in October.
  • emmerin78
    emmerin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My process was 13 months from first information session to surgery on 7/15/13. My surgeon's practice required life skills classes, post-surgery classes, appointments with psych, cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology, and the nurse practitioner. My insurance required 6 months of medically supervised diet and exercise. Honestly, it felt like a lot of hoops to jump through, but now I'm really glad there were so many requirements because I felt as though I was really prepared for surgery and had a very smooth recovery since I was so ready to step into my new lifestyle.