Metformin

CharRicho
CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
So I've just been prescribed Met for the first time. Really happy that my doctor agreed to it - actually recently switched doctors and I think I'm in SHOCK that this one actually listens to my opinion and gave me a choice about treatment options!

Now I'm really nervous about the side effects, even though I'm on a really low dose (500 mg once a day). But I feel like I'm sitting here waiting for nausea to hit me (even though I literally JUST took the pill! lol). I'm already on a low carb diet and no white carbs or junk food or anything like that so hopefully its not so bad.

I'm crossing my fingers that this helps... I'm at 6 cycles since I went off the pill and still no ovulation, and my cycles keep getting shorter, so I'm ready to try something new.

Anyway, wish me luck! And I'd love it other people taking Met wanted to post their experiences with or add me as a friend so I know other people in similar situations!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Metformin got me pregnant (well, actually my husband did, but with a big assist from Metformin). It helped me tremendously with all my symptoms. For me, it was a miracle drug. It also helps to sustain the pregnancy when you do get pregnant.

The nausea does not happen to everyone. For me, it was only very occasional and then I had eaten a lot of carbs. Sometimes I ate a lot of carbs and I still didn't get it.

Good luck. Feel free to add me.
  • Met is a great drug. My son is getting put on it and his endocrinologist said something that made a lot of sense.. He said that he noticed that the people that eat a good diet have less side effects then people with a greasy bad diet. I take it and have had no issues with it but my ex-husband tried taking it for diabetes, and he had all the side effects but his diet is mostly fast food.... Good luck with it and don't psyc yourself up to get the side effects. Since you eat well you should be alright..
  • aegarvey
    aegarvey Posts: 25 Member
    I started it last month and was feeling the exact same way. Was very nervous. There were a few times when I'd have a bad reaction, but usually only after bad meals. Really does help to have a good serving of protein with the meal where you take it. In my first 2ww since taking it. Hoping it works as well for me as it has others.
  • CharRicho
    So good to hear it's worked out well for people!

I've made it through my first almost 24 hours with only very minor stomach cramping yay!

Now I'm just crossing my fingers it helps with ovulation :)
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    I just saw this and I took a probiotic with the metformin because it gave me digestive issues. With the Probiotic my digestive issues were resolved.
  • CharRicho
    Oooh thanks that's a great idea. I was taking a probiotic for awhile but I ran out and really just never bought more... I will definitely get more now.
  • amandamcnee
    amandamcnee Posts: 6 Member
    Been on it now since Monday, a bit of digestive discomfort but otherwise ok xx I am walking hard, have managed 26 miles in 5 days and have even signed myself up for a 13 mile charity walk in May, so I hope the lifestyle changes, metformin and weight loss will help me get back into shape to help keep my next baby when and if it happens again xx