Hip/Hamstring Pain

Options
heatherlsi
heatherlsi Posts: 90 Member
Hey Indy Folks... I have been having Hip/Hamstring pain for 5 or so months now... I swim/bike/run... so I've tried not running (but biking and swimming still) and last week I did NOTHING for 6 days... the pain doesn't seem much better. I see somebody who does ART and that has helped some. I visited ortho indy and they did an xray on my pelvis and lower spine and it looked ok. It's not so bad that I can't swim/bike/run.. just nagging and I am planning on doing an Ironman (140.6) in August so I am just worried that as the training load increases I'll have more problems. I'd like to take care of it now... rather than have it blow up in May... Anybody have any ideas? Maybe recommend a Doc who is extra good at the hip/hamstring area? Or just wait and hope I "train" out of it?

Replies

• mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have had two episodes of the exact same issue. The first time, the issue ended up being my wallet!! Keeping it in my back pocket all day while I sat at work was messing up my ilio-tibial band.

The second time the pain was caused by some changes Brooks made to the glycerin series shoe. The pain went from my right knee all the way up my hip. I switched to Asics gel nimbus (more cushioning and a more neutral neutral shoe) and cut back to 3 miles every other day for about 6 weeks. It sucked. I suspect it would have healed completely if I had stopped running entirely for about 4 weeks. However it still nags me occasionally on runs over 15 miles.

As far as recovery, I don't think anyone will give you the news you want to hear. Stretching and strength training did help a bit but ultimately, you just have to rest the tissue. I am no physician but I don't think you can "train it out" or "walk it off." This aint t-ball.

Btw, kudos to you Ironman training! I am insanely envious. :)

Edit: cuz muh speeling sux.
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    Thanks Mojo... Were your Brooks shows neutral or stability? I had used the same saucony shoes since I started running, they came out with a new "improved" version that I tried and had trouble with... so I've been in shoe limbo, trying different shoes... sigh... maybe that is part of my problem...
  • mojohowitz
    Options
    Thanks Mojo... Were your Brooks shows neutral or stability? I had used the same saucony shoes since I started running, they came out with a new "improved" version that I tried and had trouble with... so I've been in shoe limbo, trying different shoes... sigh... maybe that is part of my problem...

Neutral. The Glycerin 7 is when I switched I gave up on Brooks. If you ever find yourself in Seymour, IN go to the Fitted Foot. They were the first to figure out which shoe I really needed. I tried the Blue Mile in Greenwood but the smart dude who used to help me is gone. Maybe, they are better on the north side.

I keep going back to Asics Gel Nimbus. Super neutral and cushioning. I flirt with Mizuno Wave Creation and just bought a pair of Mizuno Enigma's which I am still undecided about.

Here is a site I found useful.
    http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/running-shoes.html
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    Have you gone to a Sports Medicine Ortho. I recommend Mike DaRosa.

If it is shoes, have you tried the Altra's ? Perhaps a different running store w/a new person looking at your run.

Also, would you mind sharing who your ART person is?

Which Ironman? My goal is to do a half IM.

Angie
  • heatherlsi
    Options
    I haven't gone to a Sports Medicine doc yet - but that is the next step if I back slide - thanks for the recommendation, where is Dr. DaRosa? right now it seems to be improving - I am trying to build the running really slowly... trying some new shoes... fingers crossed...

My ART guy is Brian Watters.. I can give you his number is you want it...

I'm planning of doing Ironman Louisville in August... we're also doing the Mini Marathon, Rev3 Knoxville, Tri Indy and IM Muncie 70.3... Muncie was my first half, I did it last summer, great race =) which one are you thinking about doing?
  • aeverton
    aeverton Posts: 359
    Options
    Doc is w/Community Hospital.

Yes, I would appreciate Brian's number. You can message me if he doesn't want it out in cyberland.

I'm wanting to do the Tri Indy Olympic distance this year and then the 70.3 in Muncie next year. I plan to sign up and volunteer for Louisville's IM. Did you know it's one of the hardest ones? At least, that's what it said when I googled it! LOL

Is Rev3 Knoxville a tri? What distance?
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I had pain constantly. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't bike or run but the pain was always there. I stopped running and cycling completely for 2 months. The pain is gone now. I think my pain was due to overtraining. I was lifting weights 3 days a week, cycling 3 days a week and running 6 days a week. I now lift 3 days a week and run 3 days a week but only on non-lifting days.

I've also slowed down my run a bit. So far no pain.
  • mojohowitz
    Options
    I suspect the hardest part of the LVIM is recovering from the dysentery you may contract swimming in the Ohio River. :laugh:

Actually, I am just insanely jealous of anyone who can do this. I will be there to cheer everyone on!

no-swimming-sign.jpg