sleep study, psych evaluation and acid reflux test...

Options
Hi everyone I'm a future sleeve(er), yay! I'm however nervous for the tests I have to do such as, sleep study, psych evaluation (I already know I'm crazy! Haha) and acid reflux test. Help! I'd love input and also feel free too add me! Thanks!

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, the tests were no big deal. The sleep study was just a little weird for me because I am not a fan of sleeping in strange places. What kind of test are they doing for acid reflux? If it's an endoscopy, you will be asleep and you won't feel a thing. For the psych evaluation, I had to fill out this questionnaire that I guess helps determine your personality, then I saw the psych for about 30 minutes. Not a big deal at all!

Try not to be nervous. Easier said than done though, because I know towards the end of the process, I had about had with all of the tests and appointments etc, etc, etc! It was all worth it though, I would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • mrsmoonsain
    Options
    Yes, I believe it's the endoscopy. Swallow a tiny camera? Or did I completely understand that wrong? When I set the appointment up, I was told the psych evaluation is 3 hours. Must be mostly for filling out the questionnaire. Yikes!
  • plmelquist
    Options
    My psych eval is 3 hours also - she told me that the first hour we'll sit down together and talk about my medical history and my history with food. The other 2 hours is on a lap top filling out a questionnaire. She even admitted that some of the questions will seem really strange, guess it's standardized. She also said that portion doesn't take everyone 2 hours. Guess it depends how computer savvy each person is??
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    When I had the endoscopy, I was asleep, so I didn't feel a thing, but there is a scope that does have to go through your throat. I was told that they tell you to swallow but I must have been out of if or when they said that. I was able to walk out of there a little while after I woke up and I felt fine.

Honestly, none of the tests I had to do were difficult, but I totally can understand the anxiety that goes along with the process. It can seem overwhelming when you think about all of it, but if you just focus on one thing at a time, it's easier to deal with. Good luck, keep us posted!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sleep study was difficult cause I have always struggled to sleep in new places. That combined with having leads glued all over your body and trying to sleep on your back....but all the tests really are so very minor. Every step brings you closer!
  • mrsmoonsain
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Each test = 1 step closer to a healthier life and that is what I am exited for!
  • Aquafinaflo
    Aquafinaflo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Actually that's considered the gastric empty test. This is to see how fast or slow your stomach dumps the food from your stomach. I also have reflux real bad. i did that ,the upper gi (egd) this is when you're asleep, and the physc eval. So i have finished all that was required, summitted to insurance this pass thursday and awaiting a decision. So all in all, just be patient.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a sleep study, but then I've never been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I do have acid reflux so I had to do that test, a test to determine if there were clots in my left leg because it was so much bigger than my right and of course the Psych Eval. Frankly none of them are horrible. As for the Psych Eval, they just want to make sure you are doing this for the right reasons and have a reasonable expectation of the outcome. Frankly, if we are going into to this to be model thin, we will fail the Psych Eval. :laugh:

It's really a lot less to worry about than you think it is.
  • mrsmoonsain
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!