Running watch + HRM recommendations

Options
321blueeyes
321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
It's finally time to retire my old Polar RS300X & footpod - it's gradually been breaking down (watch) and I've lost a few pieces over the years. At this point, I think it's cheaper to buy a new model than replace the missing pieces!

I'm looking for non-GPS suggestions that include Pace, lap splits, HRM, and programmable interval timer that repeats for my run/walk cycles. I do prefer some advanced features. I'm a committed half marathoner & trail runner (altimeter, cadence might be nice?). I don't carry a cell phone when I run.

I have always chosen to use footpod-based systems due to the superior battery life in the watch. I'll never remember to charge a GPS unit every week. If your GPS-enabled running watch can go 1 month or more between charges (run 4-5 times per week) please tell!

What do you like about your running watch? What is it lacking?

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If you won't consider GPS, then I have no suggestions. GPS is going to be far more accurate than any foot-pod based watch.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin FR60 (I think it's been discontinued but the FR70 looks to have the same features) with a HRM and Footpod. I've been using it for over two years and am very happy with it. Every couple of months or any time I get new shoes or take it off my shoe and then put it back on I go to the high school track and calibrate the footpod. It's been very accurate when I've made sure it's calibrated. I routinely run on a trail with markers every 1/4 mile and I'll check the watch as I pass the markers and it's always very close. And the overall distance is usually within a couple hundredths of a mile over several miles. It also tracks cadence but it doesn't have an altimeter.

The only reasons I would prefer a GPS is the ability to upload my actual routes and being able to switch shoes without having to make sure the footpod is calibrated.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 910XT and took it to Spain for two weeks without recharging, running a total of 70 miles. It has a 19-hour battery life. I don't use the HRM, so I don't know how that would affect battery life. Depending on the distance you run you may get a month out of it. Typically I charge about once a week (but I often leave it on for an hour or so after each run). It gives me the battery level when I turn it off, so I just charge it when the battery indicates a 25 percent charge.

I love the very large display and barometric altimeter; it's definitely the best running watch I've ever owned.
  • MSRunner23
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 405 here. Works great with the HRM as well. Had it for almost 10,000 miles now and it's never let me down. Just make sure you lock the bezel. it doesn't handle sweat well.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 910XT and took it to Spain for two weeks without recharging, running a total of 70 miles. It has a 19-hour battery life. I don't use the HRM, so I don't know how that would affect battery life. Depending on the distance you run you may get a month out of it. Typically I charge about once a week (but I often leave it on for an hour or so after each run). It gives me the battery level when I turn it off, so I just charge it when the battery indicates a 25 percent charge.

I love the very large display and barometric altimeter; it's definitely the best running watch I've ever owned.

I have the 910XT and I concur on the great battery life and it also supports a foot pod.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I'm impressed on the battery success - 2 weeks / 70 miles is a pretty decent number (better than most I've heard).

If any other suggestions, please continue to share.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 610, use it for both running and cycling with the heart rate monitor. Interms of holding charge, mine is good for at least 2 weeks.
    The wireless upload is fantastic and the touch screen is a really nice feature. Plus it has heaps of features and training options.

The gps is far more accurate than a food pod as I have run it against my ipod Nike+ and have to recalibrate distance eveytime on the Nike+. I have also run it against the strava app and has proved to be just as accurate.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Are any of these Garmin watches good to use for other workouts that are not running? For example I currently have an HRM that I can use to track my calories burned during running and also when I do other workouts like HITT training or aerobic.

I use my Nike App on my phone to track my miles.

Thanks