Shock and awe?

Options
I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and while waiting I could see this older couple looking me up and down. I did a self-check to make sure that my fly wasn't down (lol) or my hair wasn't standing straight up. From their conversation I gathered they were talking about my height/size.

I normally would get upset or weirded out, but instead I turned to them and said, "Impressive, right?"

They were clearly shocked and then kind of skulked away.

I know people are ridiculous, but have you ever been treated with the "shock and awe" routine and how did you handle it?

(Note: I'm 6'0 tall)

Replies

• beniky
    beniky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Many many many times....everything from the open mouth gape, to the "Holy crap you scared the bejeezus outta me!", to the wide eyed/craned neck up and down/up and down/up and down, to the standard "Are you a model??".....heck - I've even been asked if I know Hagrid....(that was by a little girl, and I took no offense ;-).
    I usually just smile politely, if they have a question - I usually will answer it. But I also go out of my way to approach other tall women - mainly to ask where they get their jeans....lol...
    I think your response was right on the money. If they felt embarrassed to be caught staring...then that's their own issue....
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I've scared quite a few petite ladies in my day, usually in public restrooms. One lady said, "omg I thought you were a man!" I had long hair and am not masculine looking in any way. Just my height threw her. There's nothing you can do. Your comment is a good one for the blare toy rude peeps out there.
  • pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I overheard a group of guys at lunch one time debating on how tall I was. I turned around & said "Let me help y'all: I'm 6 foot, guys" Their mouths dropped then we all started laughing. They didn't know I could hear them even though they obviously were NOT whispering...
  • upsidedownjelly
    Options
    I met a friend of a friend, and the first thing he says "to" me is "damn, she tall. how tall are you" Uhhh.... I'm here to support YOU and your band, you could be less of a wiener.

Also had a man follow my friends and me in a parking lot going, 'DAMMMN SHE LIKE AMAZONIAN OR SOMETHIN"

I guess that's shock and awe?
  • ginnybrock
    ginnybrock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Haha, ALL the time! I'm 6"1'. I used to get really sick of all the attention and even though most people really liked that I'm tall, I just thought it innapropriate that strangers felt they could make comments about my height and it really fueled my insecurities....like, should I point out the first physical thing I noticed about them? Their bald-ness? their varicose veins etc? :)

One thing that I've noticed over the last few years is random people trying to guess what nationality I am. This happens anywhere from 1-4 times per week. Im Aussie (with a strong Scottish background), but most people think I'm from Eastern Europe and I've even had a few Polish people come up to me in the city and just start gabbing away in Polish at me!

I have a lot more confidence in my looks nowadays, and will have a conversation with people that comment on my height rather than clam up and take it as an insult.....I should probably learn some Polish as well.....
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and while waiting I could see this older couple looking me up and down. I did a self-check to make sure that my fly wasn't down (lol) or my hair wasn't standing straight up. From their conversation I gathered they were talking about my height/size.

I normally would get upset or weirded out, but instead I turned to them and said, "Impressive, right?"

They were clearly shocked and then kind of skulked away.

I know people are ridiculous, but have you ever been treated with the "shock and awe" routine and how did you handle it?

(Note: I'm 6'0 tall)

That's a fantastic response!
  • aprilrunswithmolly
    Options
    I usually get the "Wow, you're tall" - to which I respond "Yup."

I work behind a desk in a customer service field, and I guess I look "normal" sized when sitting down - whenever I get up, it's "whoa! you're tall!".
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks for sharing all of you, had a good laugh! Im 6ft2, so I hear you!

I was 15 and went on a trip to New Zealand (I am from South Africa) and while I was shopping for TAMPONS! when this group of Asians actually stopped me to take a couple of pics (posing next to me too of course) I felt like such an animal! lol. People can be insensitive.

A nifty trick I learned to stop myself from feeling insecure about my height was to reply, "Yep and its ALL me!"

But now that Im losing weight, I sort of feel, yeah you wish you were tall and gorgeous like this! :laugh: :laugh:

TALL GIRLS ROCK!!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Yes!! It actually drives me crazy! I get this most often at work. I'm 6'1 & I work in a large complex with about 5 thousand people so there's a large chance of seeing new people, even after being here for over 3 years. I get long stares, double takes & comments. I friggin hate it. How would they feel if someone was staring them down as they are just trying to get to their office, like we have a third head or something. It's so damn rude. Also apparently, I should not be allowed to wear heels because I'm "tall enough".
  • chollylops
    chollylops Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I really have to stop myself sometimes from being REALLY sarcastic when people ( usually men) say oh your tall aren't you?! No **** I hadn't noticed!? It is usually little men that feel the need to say it......
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great response! I have to use that some time. I am 5'11.

I find it strange that people have no qualms bringing up how tall i am but if I respond with how much shorter they are…they get offended.

People don't even think twice about asking me rude questions, but if I ask an equally rude question I am rude? I get asked about my height, hair, nationality, my accent, etc.

I don;t fit the stereotypical TV mode of people. so I am used to it. but sometimes it gets old. Especially if you work with them. It's like because you are nice…people think they can ask you the dumbest questions they dare not ask a stranger.

I love this post. Totally.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I knew you ladies would understand! Now I have even more witty come backs thanks to you!